You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
murdock762

match maker balance in high tier

13 comments in this topic

[TDM]
[TDM]
Members
57 posts
13,000 battles

Overall I am really happy with the direction of the game and have seen many improvements.

Can anyone explain to me why we still have high tier games where one side has more destroyers or radar ships then the other side.  Twice today I was in 3 destroyer vs 2 destroyer games, both times one of destroyers was slow to load in, and both times the other team totally dominated the map within 3 mins.

Also why aren't the ships with radar split evenly between the two teams.  Would be a great way to balance the Missouri (since your team has 1 less radar crusier) without changing anything about the ship itself.

These are two simple changes that an overwhelming majority of player base has been asking for.  Make it happen WG !

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles

The MM does not look at radar as a MM factor. All classes except for CV's can have a one ship difference from the other team and it has been this way from almost the beginning.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

mm balances only the amount of top tier BBs

in a tier X games of tierX BBs, a nor cal is seen as the same as a benson for matchmaker

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,169 posts
8,785 battles

The MM also balances the teams by tier but not within type.

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,286 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The MM also balances the teams by tier but not within type.

Thanks for explaining how MM works. You are correct that it strictly uses the ship type and tier as the criteria in making teams. Unfortunately, it is not skill based or which consumables a specific ship might have.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
11 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Thanks for explaining how MM works. You are correct that it strictly uses the ship type and tier as the criteria in making teams. Unfortunately, it is not skill based or which consumables a specific ship might have.

werent there something about nationality also considered?

I vaguely remember something along the line of "improved MM will reduce the chance of 3monty vs 3yammy or 3shim vs 3 gearing matches"

Edited by jason199506

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Skill based MM is a recipe for disaster unless it is only applied after the players that will be in that match are already selected.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there a MM mechanic that divided ships of the same type (sorry @Crucis, same class) equally between the 2 teams. I remember reading something about it, and then it was implemented, and then we had another patch and it was gone.

You could bring it back, yes?

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I love what they did in world of tanks.  They used to have MM that would only take tank type into balance considerations, but now they also created Vehicle Roles that further divided tank types into sub categories.   So if radar cruisers were to put into "ship role" of their own, MM would try to put equal number of ships with such a role into opposing teams.

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/update-9201-matchmaker-improvements/

K9Y7PLM.jpg

If they did it in tanks, it sure is possible with warships.

Edited by Ramsalot
  • Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,562 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there a MM mechanic that divided ships of the same type (sorry @Crucis, same class) equally between the 2 teams. I remember reading something about it, and then it was implemented, and then we had another patch and it was gone.

You could bring it back, yes?

You aren't mistaken , I remember there was some measures in place at a certain patch to do something of that sort.  It was an attempt to make the consumables more balanced. 

I never thought it was removed though, I always felt the discrepancies came in situations with RN CL vs USN CA. Both have the radar consumable, but the RN rarely will bring it so MM can get a little weird.. Or situations like Iowa vs Missouri, you have 4 Iowa's on 1 team and 4 Missouri's on the other (had this the other night lol) 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles
5 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

You aren't mistaken , I remember there was some measures in place at a certain patch to do something of that sort.  It was an attempt to make the consumables more balanced. 

I never thought it was removed though, I always felt the discrepancies came in situations with RN CL vs USN CA. Both have the radar consumable, but the RN rarely will bring it so MM can get a little weird.. Or situations like Iowa vs Missouri, you have 4 Iowa's on 1 team and 4 Missouri's on the other (had this the other night lol) 

I'm thinking it MUST have been removed as I've (recently) seen like 3 Clevelands on one team (none in divisions) and zip on the other. With a Cleveland it's bad enough (especially for the poor S.O.B. playing the Independence), but when it's Belfasts or Des Moines it can be a really unbalanced game, which is ending quickly for those MM poops on.

[BLKHS]
Beta Testers
1,612 posts
8,112 battles

The MM in Ranked was met with loud approval and has remained excellent.  And you will recall that early on WG had the same paradigm problem with the MM in ranked where you could get a team with more DDs than your own.  They fixed in ranked, and should fix it in random.  There's no reason that they can't perfectly balance ship type and tier.  No excuse.   WG, just please get this done....

It removes a major irritation, and you obviously have the software for it.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

Three Atlanta’s in a match once. I had to apologize to the reds CV for the MM.

It was a one sided match to say the least.