You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Minimum Dispersion?

5 comments in this topic

Members
1,751 posts
7,956 battles

Most people are familiar with the maximum dispersion which is displayed in game for each ship. In addition every ship also has a minimum vertical dispersion and minimum horizontal dispersion. These values have been fairly consistent across lines, you could look at the range and maximum dispersion and somewhat predict the minimum dispersion

Recently that has changed. Musashi has much lower minimum dispersion than the Yamato. Now Roma shatters that rule with almost non-existent minimum dispersion. I would like to know the exact mechanic behind this value. I have no doubt it effects accuracy significantly.

Looking at Main Battery Hits for the past week. Roma is at 32% while the supposedly accurate North Carolina and Amagi are at 24% and 25%. That makes Roma 33% more accurate than the North Carolina. It can't be attributed to Unicums, there are almost as many battles in the Roma and the Amagi and Alabama.

Any ideas what is going on here? Has WG accidentally been buffing Minimum Dispersion? Is this a way to secretly buff ships that the general public will not notice?

Members
1,751 posts
7,956 battles

Musashi

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 274.0 m
- Min H Dispersion 139 m
- Min V Dispersion 363 m

Yamato

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 275.0 m
- Min H Dispersion 178 m
- Min V Dispersion 626 m

Roma

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 243.0 m
- Min H Dispersion 34 m
- Min V Dispersion 240 m

North Carolina

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 271.0 m
- Min H Dispersion 166 m
- Min V Dispersion 546 m

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

Roma's max range is short - she's designed for short/medium range and has better concealment, so she is more easily able to get into that short/medium range.  This reduces dispersion and makes gunnery more accurate.  I'm sure there are some players out there trying to snipe from max range in Roma, otherwise I'd bet that main battery hit ratio would be even better.

Don't forget that maximum dispersion is partially a function of range.  If two ships have the exact same dispersion angle, but one has 25% longer range, then that ship's maximum dispersion is also 25% larger.

As for the minimum values you're quoting, I have no idea where you got those and don't recall ever seeing that value published (that may be just because I haven't looked, so source would be interesting to know)

Edited by kerensky914

Members
1,751 posts
7,956 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

Roma's max range is short - she's designed for short/medium range and has better concealment, so she is more easily able to get into that short/medium range.  This reduces dispersion and makes gunnery more accurate.  I'm sure there are some players out there trying to snipe from max range in Roma, otherwise I'd bet that main battery hit ratio would be even better.

Don't forget that maximum dispersion is partially a function of range.  If two ships have the exact same dispersion angle, but one has 25% longer range, then that ship's maximum dispersion is also 25% larger.

The range is only short compared to the North Carolina. It has almost identical range to the Amagi.

Roma

• 3 X 3 381 mm/50 OTO 1934
  • Distance18.12 km
    Sigma1.80
    Dispersion
    - Max Dispersion 243.0 m
    - Min H Dispersion 34 m
    - Min V Dispersion 240 m

Amagi

• 5 X 2 410 mm/45 3rd Year Type
  • Distance18.07 km
    Sigma1.80
    Dispersion
    - Max Dispersion 214.0 m
    - Min H Dispersion 165 m
    - Min V Dispersion 605 m

Amagi has 500% higher Minimum Horizontal Dispersion and 250% higher Minimum Vertical Dispersion.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

I'll ask again, where are these values coming from?

Regardless, you're implying that these numbers should make Roma far more accurate.  Then why is everyone complaining that she can't hit the broad side of a Yamato?  I mean, I have no experience that I can share so all I can go by is the experience shared by others so far.