You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Seadog_Supreme

Beer Can Is The Stupidest Camo Ever

44 comments in this topic

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

Whatever camo Warships offered in the past, except for the rarely-seen Halloween camo, it was just a paint job that didn't detract from the visual realism of the ships. Real ships used all kinds of weird paint, so that's not unusual. Plus battleship gray is boring anyway. But now, with Roma, they have stuck a beer can on top of a real ship, and it's the best camo for that ship. Not only does it look stupid and out of place, a beer can is something I throw in the trash. This strange alteration of a ship's real appearance is just visual trash.

• Cool 14
  • Boring 2

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

I find that the unfortunate fact that player that uses that camouflage can't hide the appearance and keep the bonuses is an oversight.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,415 posts
3,410 battles

There is at least one mod that changes the Kobayashi's Mac Pro/Trash Can/Water Heater/Bear Can/Cylindrical mast with Roma's regular rangefinder mast.

And if anything, it's WG who signed off on it.

[POP]
Members
839 posts
9,469 battles

I have to agree.  There should be an option to opt out.

But I understand there are gamers that don't really care about the history each ship represents, they just want to game.

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,053 battles

For a long time, I had been looking forward to purchasing the Roma, but that camo is so visually unappealing that I have changed my mind about getting the ship at this time.  Will see if anything done in the future.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,055 posts
16,992 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

For a long time, I had been looking forward to purchasing the Roma, but that camo is so visually unappealing that I have changed my mind about getting the ship at this time.  Will see if anything done in the future.

There is a non-strange camo option in the shop. Roma with it's regular RF.

[NUWES]
Members
1,639 posts
5,484 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I bought that one. The beer can is just ridiculous. They really do need to have an option to get a version of the better camo without it. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles

Agreed, has much as I would like the buffs, will likely just buy the standard package just to avoid the beer can.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,579 battles

Is the Roma's Can Hat camo really that bad. We have Halloween themed Steampunk and Ghoul camos. There are Basketball themed camos. Several neon disco ships in the ARP fleet. A dragon Myoko that is like looking into the sun. Heck some one painted a ship School Bus Yellow and sold it to captains. So while the Can Hat is kind of ridiculous, you don't have to buy to still enjoy the Roma. No I didn't buy the Roma or the Can Hat camo, I won them in a contest. But I use the silly camo as the bonuses it gives are legit and if my team or enemies have to suffer looking at well that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

:cap_cool:

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
33 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

I understand there are gamers that don't really care about the history each ship represents

There are also players that do care about the history but can separate the history the ships represent and the look of them in game. 

I love Roma as a ship. I prefer her normal camo because I think how Roma looked in reality was stunning and gorgeous. I use her fancy camo because it has much better bonuses and I just don't care what my ship looks like while it's being shot at. If I want to admire it, I can do that in port. 

Edit: Plus, come to think of it, the only time in battle I'm looking at my own ship intently is when I'm dodging torps. Otherwise I'm scanning other parts of the screen to maintain situational awareness or I'm lining up a shot. What my ship looks like in a match honestly doesn't occur to me at all. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,053 battles
41 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I know, but this and the delayed roll out have just turned me off to spending money on the Roma.  Somewhere in the future, this ship will be offered in the tech tree for doubloons, will just take a look then.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
26 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Is the Roma's Can Hat camo really that bad?

The sole reason it increases dispersion is that it blinds the enemy gunners in pure heresy.

• Funny 1

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

Here's my problem with the pope hat camo: I feel obliged to use it because it is better than the standard version.

I don't mind the hat itself - it's silly, and it seems to distract people; plus, it points out right away that I spent a huge amount of money on a highly suspect purchase (I feel it's important for people to know that I have poor impulse control).

But I would like to use the standard one (and I would like it even more if there was a third option that gave me the standard fore top combined with the whiter camo). And it's stupid as hell that I am essentially compelled to use it because it is better than the real-life accurate version.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

Well, WG obviously gave Kobayashi "artistic license", and like any good artist he made sure his work will be talked about. Good or bad, it does not matter, he wanted it to be noticed. It is hard to ignore. Geez, that is one goofy looking "feature".

I would not buy the Roma camo. I have the Kobayashi camo for my Kii. However,  I will probably disable the Kobayashi paint jobs when I do not have the Kii queued up.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,590 posts
14,010 battles

You are not obligated to get the Roma Makoto Kobayashi camo.  It's a completely separate thing from acquiring Roma herself.  So.  I depart with this.

x6p2WHj.jpg

4XvAX5q.gif

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,101 battles

I would think by now someone has come up with a realistic camo mod where you use the beer can camo, but you don't see it and you DO get all the benefits. I have that setup for my psychedelic De Grasse French cruiser. The weirdo camo is there but I see a more "normal" camo when I am playing the ship. 

Edited by Deputy276

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,284 battles
5 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Das%2Brosarote%2BU-Boot%2B-%2BUnternehme

Operation Petticoat?  Carey and Tony and some gorgeous dames?

As for the camo in discussion, to me, look's like Kobayashi was drinking beer as he scribbled on the ship with his markers. After about 10 minutes of scribbling he couldn't think of any other scribbling to do, looked at his beer can, looked at the ship, plopped the beer can on top and said done with it, pay me.

• Funny 1

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

I dunno, I think it's fine.  Doesn't have a hitbox anyhow.
5mBmF5t.jpg

Doesn't matter. All the hits would be extreme overpens anyway.  Right through the beer can.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, Deputy276 said:

I have that setup for my psychedelic De Grasse French cruiser. The weirdo camo is there but I see a more "normal" camo when I am playing the ship. 

The weird camo on De Grasse was actually used. It was called Dazzle camouflage, and was designed to confuse enemy radar. You can see it in a number of photos of  World War 2 ships.