You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Looking for advice

19 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts

On my grind to the Des Moines whenever I've taken my Baltimore out (even when I used the Pensacola strategy  IE  hiding behind an island and sniping targets of opportunity destroyers other cruisers whatever  :-/)   She was almost immediately targeted and sunk,   Last night the red team actually came onto our side to sink her(uncontested by my team of course)and there were even ships on my team in between her and them and she was still the ship sunk

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Probably need to post a replay video of a match or two if you really want some help with it. Baltimore is a force to be reckoned with so if you were top tier or playing too far forward it's no surprise that you got mowed down like grass. Life ain't much better in the DM either... so get used to it. 

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,262 battles
5 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

Probably need to post a replay video of a match or two if you really want some help with it. Baltimore is a force to be reckoned with so if you were top tier or playing too far forward it's no surprise that you got mowed down like grass. Life ain't much better in the DM either... so get used to it. 

Sorry to hear about your experience in Baltimore. Opposing teams understand that American cruisers are "squishy" and have lower armor. So naturally, they will target players in cruisers. i would like to see a replay, if possible, to see what exactly happened. However, moving too far forward too quickly is going to get a player sunk. Try to use islands for cover to snipe or hide in a DD smokescreen to focus fire and use hit & run tactics. Good luck and we will see you on the high seas!

• Bad 1

Members
2,748 posts
6,232 battles

Keep ducking and weaving Shadow. Like Super_Slash said USB cruisers are squishy.

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,882 battles

As others have said, its a known weakness. So everyone guns for you hoping to get that juicy citadel meat inside. Also, radar ships can be pretty frustrating to play against so I am sure this also makes you a priority target. I am just at the Pensa and literally every time I show myself all the reds in the area gun for me, as they should, you eat [edited]cits all the time, well really any angle you eat cits.

Edited by Kevs02Accord

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
33 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

at least the DM has RoF  to back it up unlike the NO or Balti,

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
26 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Sorry to hear about your experience in Baltimore. Opposing teams understand that American cruisers are "squishy" and have lower armor. So naturally, they will target players in cruisers. i would like to see a replay, if possible, to see what exactly happened. However, moving too far forward too quickly is going to get a player sunk. Try to use islands for cover to snipe or hide in a DD smokescreen to focus fire and use hit & run tactics. Good luck and we will see you on the high seas!

As I said I was hiding behind an island (clarification--> beside B) they came up the far side of C and ignored my teammates to sink  her,      As for video or replay I'm barely competent enuff to provide screenshots  via Jing and that's if I know there's gonna be an issue or I have the opportunity like the combat scenario shots I took

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,984 battles

I'm a new scrub in the Baltimore (just sailed her a few times - still stock as all get-out).    I was looking through a few posts on the forums for what module upgrades would work best.    Found a link to Flamu's Youtube page, and he had a few good videos on Baltimore play.

From your story, your approach appears similar to Flamu's video - definitely seek cover and provide cap control.   He's pretty aggressive in his play style, and I'd likely have a hard time putting my bote in some of the situations he demonstrated (like being in the B cap of Tears of the Desert).    But he did show how to grab a defensive position, support the DDs, and deny the reds from capping.    He was always aware of firing lanes into his ship, and positioned accordingly, so that enemy fire was pretty much reduced to nil.

It gave me some good guidance to start the Baltimore grind.      Check 'em out, and maybe they'll provide some insight.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,878 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

On my grind to the Des Moines whenever I've taken my Baltimore out (even when I used the Pensacola strategy  IE  hiding behind an island and sniping targets of opportunity destroyers other cruisers whatever  :-/)   She was almost immediately targeted and sunk,   Last night the red team actually came onto our side to sink her(uncontested by my team of course)and there were even ships on my team in between her and them and she was still the ship sunk

A well organized push force will push until contested.  You were firing from cover that was otherwise exposed from an uncontested flank.  Enemy pushed, was not contested....you were exposed...focused...and sunk.  This happens ALL THE TIME.

As a BB main, I'll focus an exposed DD or CA over a BB in most cases.  The choice between a DD and a CA is circumstantial, but if I round a corner and see a CA firing from cover...often stationary...nine times out of ten...it's dead or near dead on one salvo.  Hell, if you're stationary at max range, I'll put a salvo on you.  Also, keep in mind that radar cruisers will also get focused.  I like to push in my BB and I need DDs in close support...the more radar cruisers I eliminate, the better DD support I can get.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

It's the same experience in the Moskva, DM, and pretty much every other high tier radar ship, you get a lot of focus because it's advantageous to the team to keep their DD alive as long as possible and you're a direct threat to that.  When I play DM or Moskva, people will ignore better targets specifically to shoot at me.

Edited by Deviathan

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
3 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

A well organized push force will push until contested.  You were firing from cover that was otherwise exposed from an uncontested flank.  Enemy pushed, was not contested....you were exposed...focused...and sunk.  This happens ALL THE TIME.

As a BB main, I'll focus an exposed DD or CA over a BB in most cases.  The choice between a DD and a CA is circumstantial, but if I round a corner and see a CA firing from cover...often stationary...nine times out of ten...it's dead or near dead on one salvo.  Hell, if you're stationary at max range, I'll put a salvo on you.  Also, keep in mind that radar cruisers will also get focused.  I like to push in my BB and I need DDs in close support...the more radar cruisers I eliminate, the better DD support I can get.

Heck most of time my ships close to sunk even before I get to cover 

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

a replay would make it a lot easier for everyone to give you advice

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
6 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Just ballparking here as I don't know how you typically play it without seeing you in action, but if this happens consistently in early game then it screams to me that either you're sailing in the open too much or you're pushing in too close too soon trying to help with DD.

Edited by Deviathan

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles

When 10-12 other players (more or less,) all decide to stomp a roach; your RoF is meaningless.

Since apparently I'm not one of those players who with whatever skill/luck/sorcery manage to be ignored while driving Des Moines, I don't even bother trying anymore.

Drive DM this way and die. Drive it that way and die. Drive it the other way and die... The few 'good' games aren't worth the frustration of all the other 'bad' games.

[WAG]
Members
58 posts
4,186 battles

My advice is make sure you have the rate of fire module installed over the range extender.  You will have a rate of fire of 8.8 secs which is excellent.  Also, it sounds like you need to be more mini map aware.  Make sure you make the mini map as large as it will go - use the + key to expand it.  You have to learn to watch your mini map as much as the rest of your screen, more in the beginning of the match to see what the red team is doing.  You will also need to learn the spots where you can shoot over the islands and not be hit back.  

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

In two words: map awareness.  High tier US cruisers are high priority targets, you don’t have certain survival perks that other cruises depend on to survive (be it smoke, troll armor, range, stealth, great speed/maneuverability, and most often combination of some of those).  You have to chose your position with utmost care, and constantly be on look out for developing threats.  You are a rat in the land of cats.

Edited by Veksha

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts

The other issue I brought up is 40-70%  of the time teammates aren't   they'll fight as long as things look good if they don't they try n run,hide or avoid fighting until someone starts on them IE every man or woman for themselves and devil take the hindmost the one exception being (sometimes)if they know them and yes I know there's nothing to be done about that

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

Sometimes the best option is to kite and continue dealing damage rather than full speed ahead and get wrecked.  Balti does that better than the DM because it doesn't eat butt cits as much.

Edited by Deviathan

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,878 battles
5 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Do everything you can do to get your concealment as low as possible (e.g., CE expert), while having maximum situational awareness when you are targeted (priority target).  Don't be the first ship spotted...you will often get pounded by every BB and CA in range.  Even with RNG, dispersion, and just plain poor shooting skills...there is still a good chance someone is going to connect...even if you maneuver.