You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Frustrated Arsonist

19 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

I am stuck on Science of Victory, Mission 2.  Everything else is done except for Task 8 (Arsonist)

My best fire starter is my Kuma (actually, it's my St Louis, but she's a Tier III so she doesn't count).  I load her up with fire flags and away we go.  I burn everything I can reach, but still no Arsonist.  What am I doing wrong?

Before you ask, I'm playing more DDs than anything these days.  I only have one Tier V cruiser (Omaha) and she's not the burning type plus her captain is only a 6.

Should I switch to one of my DDs and try to get my arsonist with it?  I have some gun DDs who can rain fire down on BBs like no one's business.

Please advise.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

As it turns out, I only have three arsonists... but British battleships are the way to go.

[TSPC]
Members
173 posts
6,271 battles

RN BBs should be pretty good for it as they have very good HE shells - though, you should try to get higher tier ships as their damage output and hp of their opponents will be sufficiently high enough

Certain cruiser lines should have ships that can get arsonists around T5/6 

DDs aren't very good for it unless you have a high tier RU DD - stuff T8+ particularly in the 'gunboat' line

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,139 posts
8,762 battles

Unless you are trying to complete all of the tasks you can just redo a task that you find easier.

[5D]
Members
2,209 posts
13,945 battles

You need to do 40%+ damage to the ship by fire and kill it.

OP are you not killing the ship at the end?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,708 posts
11,323 battles

You have to cause the fire damage and kill the target. It can be frustrating, just repeat other missions for the stars if you can't get the achievement.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

OK, here's the problem, I can do 40% damage and more, no problem.  What keeps happening to me is that I wound a ship and some other ship swoops in and steals the kill.  I've asked through chat to let me have a ship, but it doesn't seem to help.

Members
842 posts
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

OK, here's the problem, I can do 40% damage and more, no problem.  What keeps happening to me is that I wound a ship and some other ship swoops in and steals the kill.  I've asked through chat to let me have a ship, but it doesn't seem to help.

There's no simple way. You'll just have to grind it out.  I finished the entire campaign, and am just cleaning up the few I missed now, and the Arsonist task is one of them.

Finish the campaign first, and then go back later. It's just one of those things that you have to leave sitting in your queue until the blue moon pops up and it happens. Kinda like Clear Sky if you're not a CV player.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,649 posts
8,027 battles

The best way to secure an arsonist is to play CV. You force damage control and you burn your target. When you've done enough fire damage you finish him. 

Or you can just play IJN / French CA and burn people to death hoping no one will steal your kill

Members
1,757 posts
7,996 battles
On 1/24/2018 at 8:48 PM, AMajor said:

I am stuck on Science of Victory, Mission 2.  Everything else is done except for Task 8 (Arsonist)

My best fire starter is my Kuma (actually, it's my St Louis, but she's a Tier III so she doesn't count).  I load her up with fire flags and away we go.  I burn everything I can reach, but still no Arsonist.  What am I doing wrong?

Before you ask, I'm playing more DDs than anything these days.  I only have one Tier V cruiser (Omaha) and she's not the burning type plus her captain is only a 6.

Should I switch to one of my DDs and try to get my arsonist with it?  I have some gun DDs who can rain fire down on BBs like no one's business.

Please advise.

You really need to use RN BBs. It would be easier to do this on the T4 Orion than any of the T8 Cruisers. When they get low switch to AP so you can finish them off before anybody kill steals.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

How's this for Irony.  Just got an Arsonist in my Derski (CV....guns, guns, guns with torps to finish her off).  She's a Tier III boat so it didn't count towards Task 8 (Tier IV or higher).

Life can be cruel sometimes:Smile_sceptic:

[WOLFB]
Members
1,649 posts
8,027 battles

Having a ship with both good AP and HE greatly help.

For this one, I mainly focused on spamming HE and finished him with AP. If you really want your Arsonist that badly, start multiple fire on your target and rush him to kill him. You might die but this is really the last option I would recommend 

shot-18.01.27_14.01.04-0978.jpg

shot-18.01.27_14.01.27-0740.jpg

[5D]
Members
2,209 posts
13,945 battles
13 hours ago, AMajor said:

How's this for Irony.  Just got an Arsonist in my Derski (CV....guns, guns, guns with torps to finish her off).  She's a Tier III boat so it didn't count towards Task 8 (Tier IV or higher).

Life can be cruel sometimes:Smile_sceptic:

Congrats, it can be frustrating to get it.

I was lucky to get one at the start of a battle last night playing Des Moines on Mountain Range. I was in the islands around A and my team basically fled the area. RNG gave me multiple fires on a Montana that pushed hard and with the islands blocking their shots he burned away while I kept hitting him with a combo of HE & AP since we wound up under 10 km and he was broadside to me.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Thank you to all who commented.  Finally got my Arsonist tonight with my Omaha.  On to Mission 3! 

• Cool 2

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 28/01/2018 at 6:10 AM, AMajor said:

Thank you to all who commented.  Finally got my Arsonist tonight with my Omaha.  On to Mission 3! 

Congrats @AMajor! :D Well deserved for your efforts!

[AK-47]
Members
151 posts
3,095 battles

An easier way to get it is take off the mission and then don't try and get it... I swear you'll end up getting it... I know it doesn't help you anyway but figure I'd throw that in since it seems to always happen to me whenever I take off that mission 

[AAA]
Members
393 posts
5,129 battles

Leningrad has had some success with burning bbs up

Members
132 posts
6,150 battles
On 2/27/2018 at 2:13 AM, Paintpro_1 said:

An easier way to get it is take off the mission and then don't try and get it... I swear you'll end up getting it... I know it doesn't help you anyway but figure I'd throw that in since it seems to always happen to me whenever I take off that mission 

LOL, exactly.  The more I tried the more I failed.  As soon as I quit trying I got it real quick.