Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tainteddoughnut

High School Fleet Buyer Beware

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles

So after months of gridlocked headbutting with WG figure it's time to warn any would be buyers. The High school fleet voices you pay good money for might not work. A while back they changed the sound file system and on some installs that rendered them inoperable. Well it took awhile but a fix was posted requiring you to delete folders in the banks file. Well for some this does not resolve the issue. And guess what if you purchased the captain and than used it to find out low and behold even after all their quote fixes it still does not work they will not refund the purchase because you used it.

       Now is it just me or is that a little shady to sell a product the consumer finds it is broken and attempts to return it. Only they don't accept returns on the product once it was used but the only way to find out it was broken was to use it. So just a heads up on those unique captains you may be spending good money on nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
682 posts
10,348 battles

If you set the voices to standard they work. They just don't work on national 

Edited by yamato6945

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
11 minutes ago, tainteddoughnut said:

So after months of gridlocked headbutting with WG figure it's time to warn any would be buyers. The High school fleet voices you pay good money for might not work. A while back they changed the sound file system and on some installs that rendered them inoperable. Well it took awhile but a fix was posted requiring you to delete folders in the banks file. Well for some this does not resolve the issue. And guess what if you purchased the captain and than used it to find out low and behold even after all their quote fixes it still does not work they will not refund the purchase because you used it.

       Now is it just me or is that a little shady to sell a product the consumer finds it is broken and attempts to return it. Only they don't accept returns on the product once it was used but the only way to find out it was broken was to use it. So just a heads up on those unique captains you may be spending good money on nothing.

Unfortunately, when it comes to digital goods, the phrase "caveat emptor" is very much in effect.

That's why folks like @LittleWhiteMouse are so important for the health of our community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,435 posts
3,413 battles

The voices work on Standard, but for some reason do not under National.

The other issue is needing to manually go into your WoWs installation folder and clean out some old res/banks folders and files to ensure that the newer or anime voices will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
1 minute ago, YamatoA150 said:

The voices work on Standard, but for some reason do not under National.

The other issue is needing to manually go into your WoWs installation folder and clean out some old res/banks folders and files to ensure that the newer or anime voices will work.

Those files even on a fresh install are just not there for what ever reason. When I say the fixes don't work I am not joking I have tried them all searched for everyone people have come up with and nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
Just now, tainteddoughnut said:

Well than what makes you think she is a saint and savior. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it seems if someone does not share yours your willing to try and throw shade at them for it.

Okay, I'll indulge you:

First of all, neither I nor anyone else thinks she is a "saint and savior," and she has never pretended to be anything but brutally honest. Second, she puts huge amounts of time and effort into testing out every conceivable variable with each ship she produces a comprehensive review on. Third, she has never received a cent from Wargaming, and is unafraid to call them out when they make a blunder (and has on numerous occasions). Fourth, she is respectful to everyone who deserves it, and even those who might not, and she has a wicked sense of humor that anyone can appreciate.

So yeah, why do you think she's a "yes-lady"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
1 minute ago, yamato6945 said:

I'd love for you to explain that but you more then likely won't read her Graf Zepplin review where she openly criticizes them for releasing a ship in an unfinished state 

I have read it and many of her other reviews I find outside of the hard numbers she posts to always be a hardcore party line with Wargaming. Again everyone can have an opinion and we are free to not share the same one. Well at least I thought so than I remembered I am on the internet where if you don't agree with people they want to see your head roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
682 posts
10,348 battles

And as to the question in the Topic I don't have the files your referring to to delete but just switch voice lines to STANDARD and they will work along with all ARP voices and Seagal I have done it and all mine are working.

Edited by yamato6945

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
3 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

And as to the question in the Topic I don't have the files your referring to to delete but just switch voice lines to STANDARD and they will work along with all ARP voices and Seagal I have done it and all mine are working.

Again when I said I tried everything that includes that sadly. Not trying to be a smart(certain part of the human hind quarters) but yeah still a no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles

This is way off-topic, but Snow Pea Weiss is best Weiss. I approve of your avatar. :Smile_hiding:

 

 

On-topic: WG is aware that the broken anime voices are well... broken. However, I don't think it's super high on their priority list at the moment. Wish I could find the staff post saying this, as I can't remember if it was Pigeon, Radar, or SuperSmashBro that said it.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

This is way off-topic, but Snow Pea Weiss is best Weiss. I approve of your avatar. :Smile_hiding:

 

 

 

I am also partial to the new Nice Weiss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles
25 minutes ago, tainteddoughnut said:

I have read it and many of her other reviews I find outside of the hard numbers she posts to always be a hardcore party line with Wargaming. Again everyone can have an opinion and we are free to not share the same one. Well at least I thought so than I remembered I am on the internet where if you don't agree with people they want to see your head roll.

 

I think you have a right to be PO'd and I also think you should be able to return the ship if it is a known issue that has yet to be fixed.  However your criticisms of LWM are baseless and ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

 

I think you have a right to be PO'd and I also think you should be able to return the ship if it is a known issue that has yet to be fixed.  However your criticisms of LWM are baseless and ridiculous.

    REally I just want either the voices to work or to get refunded for the Captains I love my Harekaze. But I also really want ALL the content I paid for not just some of it. Kind alike I went to a drive through and ordered a meal. Than I check the bag and BAM no fries but since I opened the bag already they won't give me the fries...yet how was i to know there was no fries in the bag until I opened it. But knowing these bugs exist selling these captains without altering the refund policy for them or giving a disclaimer of the existence of the bug is sketchy probably legal but legal and moral are not the same things.         

    Hey I say what I think often unfiltered as it may be. I have read many of her posts and I generally feel she puts way to much effort into turning things into a sales pitch with some decent hard stats than being truly honest. Yes she was critical of the Graf Zep. But one instance of going against does not convince me. Just as you are convinced she is of the opposite. Two people can read the same things and come out with different opinions of them. That is the beauty of being human and not all being apart of a hive mind or otherwise controlled.       

Edited by tainteddoughnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[PVE]
Members
8,890 posts
7,288 battles
35 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Okay, I'll indulge you:

First of all, neither I nor anyone else thinks she is a "saint and savior," and she has never pretended to be anything but brutally honest. Second, she puts huge amounts of time and effort into testing out every conceivable variable with each ship she produces a comprehensive review on. Third, she has never received a cent from Wargaming, and is unafraid to call them out when they make a blunder (and has on numerous occasions). Fourth, she is respectful to everyone who deserves it, and even those who might not, and she has a wicked sense of humor that anyone can appreciate.

So yeah, why do you think she's a "yes-lady"?

35 minutes ago, tainteddoughnut said:

I have read it and many of her other reviews I find outside of the hard numbers she posts to always be a hardcore party line with Wargaming. Again everyone can have an opinion and we are free to not share the same one. Well at least I thought so than I remembered I am on the internet where if you don't agree with people they want to see your head roll.

 

LWM will be the first to tell you that you should check other reviews besides hers. She will also tell you why she likes something and why she doesn't and how that colors her impression of the ship. You may not agree, but I find LWM to be very fair on reviews. She is not a yes woman as I have seen her be very harsh on a number of boats that she didn't feel were up to snuff. 

 

1 hour ago, tainteddoughnut said:

So after months of gridlocked headbutting with WG figure it's time to warn any would be buyers. The High school fleet voices you pay good money for might not work. A while back they changed the sound file system and on some installs that rendered them inoperable. Well it took awhile but a fix was posted requiring you to delete folders in the banks file. Well for some this does not resolve the issue. And guess what if you purchased the captain and than used it to find out low and behold even after all their quote fixes it still does not work they will not refund the purchase because you used it.

       Now is it just me or is that a little shady to sell a product the consumer finds it is broken and attempts to return it. Only they don't accept returns on the product once it was used but the only way to find out it was broken was to use it. So just a heads up on those unique captains you may be spending good money on nothing.

 

If you have tried all the fixes on the forum and it is still not working, then work with support. Be patient as sometimes bugs hide really well and are hard to find. Especially when you are talking about making software for a wide range of hardware pieces and software pieces and there are enough combinations of both to defy systemic testing for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
3 minutes ago, tainteddoughnut said:

I am also partial to the new Nice Weiss

Weiss as a character right now in the series is great. It's very easy to see the character growth she's gone through to get to where she is. Her V4/5 dress is also very pretty too(I'm partial to the opera dress). Still like her Snow Pea outfit the best though. This is probably my favorite image(meme) of Snow Pea Weiss:

Spoiler

e5f.png

So funny!

 

I looked through 10 pages of the feedback and bugs sub-forum, but still couldn't find that post by a dev/staff member. I know it was recently, as in two or three weeks old, and it was posted by either Pigeon_of_War, Radar_X, or Super_Splash_Bro. Yeah, searched their content history and still can't find it, maybe it was another mod/admin/staff member, dunno.

Anyway, there is an FAQ article for it. You've likely already read it but I do want to point out that they say it'll be fixed ASAP, which should mean that the devs are working on finding a fix to it. https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/836


Dear Commander,

Please refer to follow simple steps to avoid the problem:

  • Go to C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res\banks
  • Delete folders "OfficialMods" and "Languages";
  • Restart the client
    It should help to return Arpeggio, HSF and Siegal voices to client.

The problem will be fixed as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Regards,

World of Warships NA team.


Unfortunately that's the best I can come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles
4 minutes ago, tainteddoughnut said:

Hey I say what I think often unfiltered as it may be. I have read many of her posts and I generally feel she puts way to much effort into turning things into a sales pitch with some decent hard stats than being truly honest. Yes she was critical of the Graf Zep. But one instance of going against does not convince me. Just as you are convinced she is of the opposite. Two people can read the same things and come out with different opinions of them. That is the beauty of being human and not all being apart of a hive mind or otherwise controlled.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is still wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Weiss as a character right now in the series is great. It's very easy to see the character growth she's gone through to get to where she is. Her V4/5 dress is also very pretty too(I'm partial to the opera dress). Still like her Snow Pea outfit the best though. This is probably my favorite image(meme) of Snow Pea Weiss:

  Reveal hidden contents

e5f.png

So funny!

 

I looked through 10 pages of the feedback and bugs sub-forum, but still couldn't find that post by a dev/staff member. I know it was recently, as in two or three weeks old, and it was posted by either Pigeon_of_War, Radar_X, or Super_Splash_Bro. Yeah, searched their content history and still can't find it, maybe it was another mod/admin/staff member, dunno.

Anyway, there is an FAQ article for it. You've likely already read it but I do want to point out that they say it'll be fixed ASAP, which should mean that the devs are working on finding a fix to it. https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/836


Dear Commander,

Please refer to follow simple steps to avoid the problem:

  • Go to C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res\banks
  • Delete folders "OfficialMods" and "Languages";
  • Restart the client
    It should help to return Arpeggio, HSF and Siegal voices to client.

The problem will be fixed as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Regards,

World of Warships NA team.


Unfortunately that's the best I can come up with.

Again I have done that song and dance no luck. Fought with Tech support for MONTHS on the issue even less luck. The number of times I've tried a reinstall Seriously sunk over 40 hours into resolving the issue and honestly the tech and customer support answers are always copy paste you almost literally ahve to send them videos of you trying the fix before they move away from copy paste thats beyond frustrating because they don't actually read anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is still wrong.

Lets look at that statement very carefully. Because as soon as your telling someone an OPINION is wrong you have invalidated yourself. You can FEEL an opinion is wrong you can disagree with something but to tell someone their opinion and feeling of something is wrong is well rather insulting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[PVE]
Members
8,890 posts
7,288 battles
1 minute ago, tainteddoughnut said:

Again I have done that song and dance no luck. Fought with Tech support for MONTHS on the issue even less luck. The number of times I've tried a reinstall Seriously sunk over 40 hours into resolving the issue and honestly the tech and customer support answers are always copy paste you almost literally ahve to send them videos of you trying the fix before they move away from copy paste thats beyond frustrating because they don't actually read anything

 

Then you have run across one of the biggest problems with computers and the choices we have. There are so many combinations of hardware and software, not to mention drivers for both, that sometimes it is very hard to find an answer to a problem that defies normal troubleshooting. I am sorry that you are having problems with the voices. Do you have the ARP ships and do they have the same problems? The more you can replicate the problem with different variables, the more likely any computer support will get enough info to point them to where the problem lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles
1 minute ago, tainteddoughnut said:

Lets look at that statement very carefully. Because as soon as your telling someone an OPINION is wrong you have invalidated yourself. You can FEEL an opinion is wrong you can disagree with something but to tell someone their opinion and feeling of something is wrong is well rather insulting.

How about some facts to back up your assertion. I have my share of Premiums and I have probably read her reviews for every one of them. Which issues has she covered up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

Then you have run across one of the biggest problems with computers and the choices we have. There are so many combinations of hardware and software, not to mention drivers for both, that sometimes it is very hard to find an answer to a problem that defies normal troubleshooting. I am sorry that you are having problems with the voices. Do you have the ARP ships and do they have the same problems? The more you can replicate the problem with different variables, the more likely any computer support will get enough info to point them to where the problem lies.

Trust me I have laid out everything for them hardware software you name it it's been addressed. biggest problem is it literally took making a video just to get a non copy paste answer ..the same non fucntioning answer that was issued for weeks on end. Than after the months of run around I just got what was essentially a LOLS sucks to be you we got your money response. Granted not phrased in that manner but you get the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

How about some facts to back up your assertion. I have my share of Premiums and I have probably read her reviews for every one of them. Which issues has she covered up?

For one her rabid defense of removal of OWSF without addressing it's effects on many DD's that did see a significant drop in their performance as well as the DD's that were marketed as being able to stealth fire (blys Anshan) with fact being in the adds for them and yes those adds were reposted despite WG trying to pretend it never happened. That was the start of my distrust it only continued to blossom from there. Removing an advertised feature without offering something in return is again a shady move and defending shady moves to me lumps you in that shady category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[PVE]
Members
8,890 posts
7,288 battles
1 minute ago, tainteddoughnut said:

Trust me I have laid out everything for them hardware software you name it it's been addressed. biggest problem is it literally took making a video just to get a non copy paste answer ..the same non fucntioning answer that was issued for weeks on end. Than after the months of run around I just got what was essentially a LOLS sucks to be you we got your money response. Granted not phrased in that manner but you get the point.

 

Oh I understand what you have been through. I have worked in customer service for service providers for a while. Usually troubleshooting works, but sometimes there is that unusual problem that just seems to defy troubleshooting. If you have done all you can with support, open a thread in the feedback and bugs forum. Put your ticket numbers there and ask for others who are having the same problem to put theirs in as well. Troubleshooting hard to find problems is about getting a wide range of users with the same problem, so that the things that are the same across the users point to where the problem is hiding. Remember this game almost certainly has millions of lines of code and with the thousands upon thousands of variations in PC hardware and software, a tiny problem can be hard to find without the info narrowing down where the problem is at.

 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/125-world-of-warships-feedback-and-bugs/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles
Just now, tainteddoughnut said:

For one her rabid defense of removal of OWSF without addressing it's effects on many DD's that did see a significant drop in their performance as well as the DD's that were marketed as being able to stealth fire (blys Anshan) with fact being in the adds for them and yes those adds were reposted despite WG trying to pretend it never happened. That was the start of my distrust it only continued to blossom from there. Removing an advertised feature without offering something in return is again a shady move and defending shady moves to me lumps you in that shady category.

 

Removing OWSF was sorely needed and greatly improved the game. If some ships needed buffs afterwards that is on WG. Blys and Anshan are hardly struggling right now.

You are not giving the impression of a reasonable person if you can't appreciate the time and effort it took to do all those reviews for FREE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[IN3PT]
[IN3PT]
Members
49 posts
14,737 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

 

Removing OWSF was sorely needed and greatly improved the game. If some ships needed buffs afterwards that is on WG. Blys and Anshan are hardly struggling right now.

You are not giving the impression of a reasonable person if you can't appreciate the time and effort it took to do all those reviews for FREE.

Not sure how that makes me unreasonable. Again I disagree with you thus I must be unreasonable. It is a sad state we live in where a different opinion one you developed through experience makes you unreasonable wrong or apparently vile and evil here.

As for things for free. I use to demo and run games of Battletech and Shadowrun and before that Mechwarrior  for Free as well as write scenarios for Catalyst for FREE so I guess your unreasonable for disagreeing with me with all the time I put into those things for nothing in return. 

Edited by tainteddoughnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×