You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Double click volley vs sequential firing?

16 comments in this topic

Members
4,453 posts
6,168 battles

When do you use which? In what circumstances is full volley best and when is it best to fire sequential? Tks

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I was talking with a clanmate about this the other day- I know there was some comprehensive analysis done on whether or not the sequential versus simultaneous shots differed in the RNG numbers... Need to go looking for that again. 

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,250 battles

If I am confident of my aim, and all guns are ready, full volley.  If enemy will be behind an island very soon, full volley.  If I think I might die very soon, full volley.  Otherwise I tend to use ripple fire.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,845 posts
6,765 battles

as a general rule of thumb, the more rapid-firing the guns and the more floaty the shells, the more likely i am to use ripple-fire.  

atlanta and minotaur, for example, i very rarely volley-fire.  being in smoke is the one exception, since i don't want them tracing my shells back to my ship, but otherwise, yea, i almost always use ripple-fire to track onto targets and just utterly demoralize them with a never ending rain of shells.

bb's and long reload cruisers like the ijn, later russian, and later usn boats (des moine being the exception) i volley-fire because i save my shots for when those sweet spots are vulnerable.

Edited by Shadeylark

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If the enemy is angled or maneuvering heavily, I lean more towards sequential fire. If I've got a good shot at their citadel, then everything must go. 

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

It really depends on the situation. Generally, I always volley fire. I'm confident enough in my aim to make the most of the shot so I'll just let all the guns loose at once. Plus, a large volume of fire is better for chunking HP and ensuring the most hits in general. The only times I don't volley fire are, in smoke since it's easier to trace a ship's position when they're volley firing, when I'm 'raking' a ships deck for fires, and if the enemy happens to be on their toes and is being unpredictable enough that volley firing is missing more than hitting, that way I'm saturating an area with shells rather than one spot.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,662 posts
8,047 battles

Personally I always use full volley shot because i'm kinda confident in my aim. But when I have to finish someone like a DD for instance, I use sequential firing 

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,378 battles

I tend to use sequential fire when engaging targets at long range. It allows me time to adjust the 2nd or 3rd shot to compare my distance to target accuracy. Also visually to the target it only seems like one salvo because the shots are not grouped and the enemy will typically keep sailing broadside, even if the first salvo misses, I know I adjusted on the 2nd and 3rd salvo and have a greater chance to hit. 

Either way, there is no accuracy difference. If I know a cruiser or dd is leading into me bow on, I will typically sequential fire. Generally players will react after the first salvo because they get nervous and think you fired all your shots, but the more seasoned players will notice and will not react as fast. 

If any target is within 6km that is not broad side, then why waste all the shells in one go. Be smart and patient and  that is what determines when/how to use it.

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

I mostly use ripple fire unless I'm hiding in smoke. If nothing else, I like to hear the "boom boom boom" of the guns sequentially going off. I spent six years in a real-life artillery unit. You'd think I'd be sick of hearing cannon fire but I'm not.

[AXANR]
Members
3,357 posts
16,533 battles

Depends on what I'm driving and what I'm shooting at. In BBs or slower-firing heavy cruisers, I tend to use salvo fire as my default when I have a good shot. If it's a long range shot, maneuvering target, or shooting at a DD I'll use ripple fire to try and put a 'pattern' down and maximize odds of getting a hit.

In CLs and DDs, I tend to use ripple fire almost exclusively to keep a stream of fire going. If I'm in Minotaur or a DD and using offensive smoke, though, I'll sometimes use salvo fire to make it harder for red ships to accurately hit me by targeting the source of the stream of shells coming out of the smoke. 

Edited by poeticmotion