You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

SMOKESTACK "Ship's Movement / Speed" SMOKE

6 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

Have a concern & questions. (If this topic is in the wrong section, sorry, maybe someone can move it to the correct Forum section)

When looking at ships through the scope, the smoke coming from smokestacks are very, very light grey, and rather difficult to quickly recognize.

1) Is this normal for the smoke to be so light / translucent?

2) Is there a setting under "Settings - Graphics" that can make the smoke more pronounced?

3) Is there a mod that will make the smoke easier to see?

Thanks

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,043 battles
2 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

Have a concern & questions. (If this topic is in the wrong section, sorry, maybe someone can move it to the correct Forum section)

When looking at ships through the scope, the smoke coming from smokestacks are very, very light grey, and rather difficult to quickly recognize.

1) Is this normal for the smoke to be so light / translucent?

2) Is there a setting under "Settings - Graphics" that can make the smoke more pronounced?

3) Is there a mod that will make the smoke easier to see?

Thanks

1. yes

2. no, the game probably only has 2 models for smoke, one for far one for near, when you are at a distance between the two, smokes are practically invisible. It's been this way since alpha, brought it up sometimes, no one cares. 

3. yes, something along the line of smoke radius, check Aslains.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

You're not the only one to notice and there's nothing we can do. I tried changing the smoke file (forget the name) to something darker/fuller but couldn't get it to work.

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,483 battles

In the real world (which this obviously isn't), the amount of smoke produced up the stack would depend on how well the fuel is being burned in the boilers. Coal fired and Bunker D fuel oil would both have a fuller and richer looking smoke than say the more modern DFM.

But this is a game... so we're pretty much stuck with what we have.

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,847 battles

I do believe the smoke changes color when using a speed boost.  I think.. please don't quote me.