PanamaRed43

Changing Email Address

9 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
152 battles

Has anyone gone through the process of trying to change your email address. I am currently trying to do so and support is asking me to provide them very obscure information and will not assist me in trying to explain how I find such information. Can anyone help?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles

Yes, I did recently (due to the email domain I'd used for almost 30 years getting sold to a new social media startup, grr).

Unfortunately it is a huge pain, because they want to to prove that this is your account and you aren't trying to steal someone else's account.  Hopefully you've bought some premium ships that you can find the receipt emails from?

I think their stance is if you haven't bought ships then you have little invested in it and can just create a new account. Not saying I agree with that thinking.

Members
9,868 posts
12 minutes ago, PanamaRed43 said:

Has anyone gone through the process of trying to change your email address. I am currently trying to do so and support is asking me to provide them very obscure information and will not assist me in trying to explain how I find such information. Can anyone help?

I linked mine to a google phone number, had no issues.

But i think it did require it to be active for 30 days before you could actually change your email.

Edited by awiggin

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,288 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

Yes, I did recently (due to the email domain I'd used for almost 30 years getting sold to a new social media startup, grr).

Unfortunately it is a huge pain, because they want to to prove that this is your account and you aren't trying to steal someone else's account.  Hopefully you've bought some premium ships that you can find the receipt emails from?

I think their stance is if you haven't bought ships then you have little invested in it and can just create a new account. Not saying I agree with that thinking.

No it doesn't have anything to do with if you're a paying or non-paying player. It's about account security so an unauthorized third party can't hijack the account. PanamaRed, any chance you linked a phone number to your account? Players who have done so can change their email through the Account Management screen. Sorry if you feel our Customer Support team wasn't helpful. They are just following the policy in place to protect our players. Good luck.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, PanamaRed43 said:

I was taking some college classes and had an account hooked to my university E-Mail account; when I graduated, of course, I lost access to that E-Mail and had to get a new one. It's a tedious process but a necessary one to insure your account stays your account.

PS: A recent post by a player who had his account hacked will show you, in detail, why you should never complain about WoW's internet and account security.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles
19 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

No it doesn't have anything to do with if you're a paying or non-paying player. It's about account security so an unauthorized third party can't hijack the account. PanamaRed, any chance you linked a phone number to your account? Players who have done so can change their email through the Account Management screen. Sorry if you feel our Customer Support team wasn't helpful. They are just following the policy in place to protect our players. Good luck.

I didn't mean to imply that paying players get special treatment, but they do ask for transactions like that to prove you own the account.  It's not an easy process, which for security purposes is appropriate, but it's still frustrating.  The linked phone is a good idea - wish someone had suggested that to me at the time, that' might've saved some stress. ;)

Edited by kerensky914

[TARFU]
Members
12 posts
5,254 battles

if you know your password and can log into the world of warships website, you can just change your email under account management, I did mine when Verizon stopped providing email services with its DSL.  Now on the test server that seems to be a different story.

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,346 battles

I had to go to customer support to change my email because I didn't have a SMS smartphone. It was rather easy, I found a post on the WOT forums where someone ranting about getting his email change, and he listed information they wanted to know (when you made your account, any reward vehicles you had, transactions, etc).

And I just copied that list and filled it out like a form in my support ticket and had no issues getting my email change.

Members
2 posts
152 battles

I appreciate all the responses and understand their need for security however how am I supposed to know what tank or ship I first used coin to buy. That happened over 3 years ago and I don't have any emails or credit card info that goes back that far. I don't even know which credit card I was using at the time....when I try and explain this to them they just keep telling me I am SOL.....very frustrating.