You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Hydro, when to use?

38 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm starting to field ships that have Hydro. I've read what it does in the Wiki and it makes sense on paper, but when, strategically, does it make sense to use?  I've engaged it when encountering smoke in a domination cap circle but realize now I may have been slightly out of range when I popped it. When should I be looking to use this?

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

There are three times when you want to use hydro.

The first is obvious. To light up hidden ships in smoke. Just make sure you know the range of your ship's hydro so you don't waste it. 

The second is when you know there's a DD or two hunting you and you get that sinking feeling (pun intended) that there's a torpedo wall on its way. 

The final case is when you think there's a ship hiding behind an island to ambush you. Hydro goes through islands (as does radar) much to the regular complaint of many on this forum. 

• Cool 4

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,895 battles

Hit the nail on the head, helps spot ships and torps. Use it for pushing or when you know there is a DD tailing you and has probably launched torps. Make note though, most hydro has a fairly short range.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,284 battles
3 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

There are three times when you want to use hydro.

The first is obvious. To light up hidden ships in smoke. Just make sure you know the range of your ship's hydro so you don't waste it. 

The second is when you know there's a DD or two hunting you and you get that sinking feeling (pun intended) that there's a torpedo wall on its way. 

The final case is when you think there's a ship hiding behind an island to ambush you. Hydro goes through islands (as does radar) much to the regular complaint of many on this forum. 

Indeed, these are all great examples of when to use it. Just like a repair consumable, the Hydro should be strategically used. It's also good to know the ships that have it so, for example, the Lo Yang can help detect a player in smoke and have a team focus fire on you. Never a good thing!

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

So if I have a bad habit of pushing to the corner of one of the big islands on Solomon Islands (I sometimes push the corner and kite), popping the hydro to detect the DD that has popped smoke in the cap or detect the cruisers lying in wait on the enemy side of the corner might be beneficial?  I know...stop kiting those corners, but if I'm feeling aggressive and our DDs aren't doing it?

Edited by BullpupWOT

[PVE]
Members
8,852 posts
7,257 battles
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

So if I have a bad habit of pushing to the corner of one of the big islands on Solomon Islands (I sometimes push the corner and kite), popping the hydro to detect the DD that has popped smoke in the cap or detect the cruisers lying in wait on the enemy side of the corner might be beneficial?  I know...stop kiting those corners, but if I'm feeling aggressive and our DDs aren't doing it?

Yep, hyrdo, and later RADAR, are great for peeking around islands. Also, if you have a fighter or spotter (fighters have a longer aloft time), you can do the same thing on the Solomons before you get to the corner. Almost all the planes go off the left side, so you time it before you get to the island, to have the plane over the island as you approach the corner, to spot anyone hiding just around the corner. Of course with planes, they also know you are coming and roughly where you are as the plane orbits your ship.

• Cool 2

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
298 posts
7,374 battles

I would advise turning on the range circle indicator for hydro, that way you are more aware of its range. Cruisers use it to hunt but also as a support role option. I tend to use it more for others than myself and this creates more team work. 

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

I would advise turning on the range circle indicator for hydro, that way you are more aware of its range. Cruisers use it to hunt but also as a support role option. I tend to use it more for others than myself and this creates more team work. 

Yes, I turn my AA circles on in my Japanese cruisers (Yubari, kuma)...I didn't realize there was a hydro circle.  Thanks

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,262 battles

When a DD pops smoke, point your ship towards the smoke, go forward and then hit hydros when you are within range. If hydro reveals a dd or cruiser in the smoke start shooting them.

wash rinse repeat.

Or when a DD/CA pops smoke, give it the old hard to port or starboard while screaming and then pop hydros to keep an eye out for the torpedoes that might be headed your way.

Only one of the ways mentioned above using hydro is useful to help sink ships. the other just delays your inevitable death from risk aversion.

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles

Note that hydro ranges improve as tiers increase.  The first couple tiers that get it, the odds of it being valuable as a ship detector are pretty slim.  It's mostly to give you advance warning of incoming torpedoes.  As you get higher and the range gets better it starts becoming more useful as a ship detector.

[PVE]
Members
8,852 posts
7,257 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Note that hydro ranges improve as tiers increase.  The first couple tiers that get it, the odds of it being valuable as a ship detector are pretty slim.  It's mostly to give you advance warning of incoming torpedoes.  As you get higher and the range gets better it starts becoming more useful as a ship detector.

:Smile_great:

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Interestingly enough, as a side note, I'm beginning to find tier 3-4 torpedo play to be fairly predictable and fairly avoidable without this. I'm getting halfway decent of backing out of zoom mode when I know they are likely coming and usually able to take avoidance measures. 

Also, the forum sure limits reactions!!  I can't even thumb up more than 8 or 10 times a day?  Stupid

Edited by BullpupWOT

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles

The other thing that starts being more common is destroyers with torpedo ranges longer than their detection ranges.  They can launch torps at you without you ever knowing they were there.  There's only a few ships that can do that in the low tiers but by high tiers they almost all can.  I think I got to tier 5 without knowing that was possible and it was an unpleasant surprise.  I was moving up the USN DD line, which can't do it until tier 7.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

The other thing that starts being more common is destroyers with torpedo ranges longer than their detection ranges.  They can launch torps at you without you ever knowing they were there.  There's only a few ships that can do that in the low tiers but by high tiers they almost all can.  I think I got to tier 5 without knowing that was possible and it was an unpleasant surprise.  I was moving up the USN DD line, which can't do it until tier 7.

Good to know. Thank you

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

Start seeing Hydro at T4.

Maps are small and ranges are short, so it seems hydro has a big range on the Solomons.  The whole map is 20KM across, so you'll cover a whole domination cap if you are in the middle of it. 

<Ctrl> LMB on the snowflake on the upper right hand corner of the mini-map to access the range display controls.  I usually set that up each mission depending on if there is a CV or not.

Hydro is better (more range) on German ships.

Managing sensors is important.  Planes, hydro, Radar, and RPF  are your potential sensor inputs.  Teammates spotting for you helps as well.

And when you spot a DD in smoke, aim at the DD and hit F3 to tell the rest of your team to help out.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,848 battles
20 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Yes, I turn my AA circles on in my Japanese cruisers (Yubari, kuma)...I didn't realize there was a hydro circle.  Thanks

Also you should have the setting turned on that shows a ship's last known position. That white outline gives you a better way to guess how close to that DD in smoke you might be.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
12 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Also you should have the setting turned on that shows a ship's last known position. That white outline gives you a better way to guess how close to that DD in smoke you might be.

Yes, I have that one on. Thank you

Members
1,767 posts
8,052 battles
1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

I'm starting to field ships that have Hydro. I've read what it does in the Wiki and it makes sense on paper, but when, strategically, does it make sense to use?  I've engaged it when encountering smoke in a domination cap circle but realize now I may have been slightly out of range when I popped it. When should I be looking to use this?

Range varies with both ship class and tier so almost every ship has a different range. Also torp detection and ship detection are different ranges as well.

HYDROACOUSTIC
SEARCH I
HYDROACOUSTIC
SEARCH II
Consumable_PCY008_SonarSearch.png Consumable_PCY016_SonarSearchPremium.png
Cost: Free Cost: 15 Doubloons OR 22,500Credits
Class or Ship Tier Nation(s) Duration Torpedo Detection Range Ship Detection Range Cooldown Charges Cooldown Charges
Loyang VIII Wows_flag_Pan_Asia.png 90 seconds 3.75km 5.43km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Battleship VIII Wows_flag_Germany.png 118 seconds 3.12km 4.44km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Battleship IX Wows_flag_Germany.png 120 seconds 3.93km 5.73km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Battleship X Wows_flag_Germany.png 122 seconds 4.02km 5.88km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser IV Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_France.png 90 seconds 2.52km 3.48km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser V Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_France.png 90 seconds 2.67km 3.72km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VI Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_Commonwealth.PNG Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_Italy.png Wows_flag_France.png Wows_flag_Pan_Asia.png 92 seconds 2.82km 3.96km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VII Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_Italy.png Wows_flag_France.png 94 seconds 2.97km 4.20km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VIII Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_France.png 96 seconds 3.12km 4.44km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser IX Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_France.png 98 seconds 3.27km 4.68km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser X Wows_flag_Japan.png Wows_flag_UK.png Wows_flag_USA.png Wows_flag_SSSR.png Wows_flag_France.png 100 seconds 3.42km 4.92km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser IV Wows_flag_Germany.png 110 seconds 3.48km 4.92km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser V Wows_flag_Germany.png 112 seconds 3.57km 5.13km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VI Wows_flag_Germany.png 114 seconds 3.66km 5.28km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VII Wows_flag_Germany.png 116 seconds 3.75km 5.43km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser VIII Wows_flag_Germany.png 118 seconds 3.84km 5.58km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser IX Wows_flag_Germany.png 120 seconds 3.93km 5.73km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Cruiser X Wows_flag_Germany.png 122 seconds 4.02km 5.88km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Destroyer VI Wows_flag_Germany.png 92 seconds 2.82km 3.96km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Destroyer VII Wows_flag_Germany.png 94 seconds 2.97km 4.20km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Destroyer VIII Wows_flag_Germany.png 96 seconds 3.12km 4.44km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Destroyer IX Wows_flag_Germany.png 98 seconds 3.27km 4.68km 180 seconds 2 120 seconds 3
Destroyer X Wows_flag_Germany.png 122 seconds 4.02km 5.88km 180 seconds 2 120 second

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,298 battles

Yeah make sure you have your hydro range indicator turned on in the map. You can use your guns to aim at smoke clouds to range-find how far away it is. I personally love hydro, I use it sometimes on my US cruisers over defensive fire (travesty!!). In cruisers, it's less helpful for detecting torps, as you are fairly fast and maneuverable to begin with. It really shines when you see a DD smoke-firing somewhere and you can creep right up on him and hydro. It generally takes them like a full 10 seconds to react and get their bowels under control when they realize a cruiser is too close to miss and their guns/torps are facing the wrong direction. I use mine almost exclusively to hunt down DDs on flanks I can get away with it (where pushing forward won't get me killed).

dark.png

[-AGW-]
Members
635 posts
9,315 battles
40 minutes ago, Khafni said:

? Where is that?

[PVE]
Members
8,852 posts
7,257 battles
Just now, NashW8 said:

? Where is that?

It is in the minimap settings in game. Click on the gears to the upper right of the minimap and you can find different circles to add, ship detection, aerial detection, gun range, torp range, AA range, hydro range, etc. The last position check box is there as is a transparency slider for the minimap. Set the transparency to really clear and use + & - on the minimap to make it bigger as well. Then you don't really lose that corner of the screen.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

It is in the minimap settings in game. Click on the gears to the upper right of the minimap and you can find different circles to add, ship detection, aerial detection, gun range, torp range, AA range, hydro range, etc. The last position check box is there as is a transparency slider for the minimap. Set the transparency to really clear and use + & - on the minimap to make it bigger as well. Then you don't really lose that corner of the screen.

Also...it took me a few battles to figure out that I had to - the minimap all the way before I opened the settings. If I left the minimap big, I wouldn't see all of the selectable choices. You can + the map bigger again after you choose. Also, you will have to make these selections for each ship. It doesn't seem to make an across the board change like the settings screen in port. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
25 minutes ago, Shenennigans said:

I use mine almost exclusively to hunt down DDs on flanks I can get away with it (where pushing forward won't get me killed).

Yeah, the last time I tried this it worked regarding the destroyer - triggered hydro, magically saw him, avoided all his torps, was charging in for the kill :Smile_izmena: - the problem is that dodging between the torps left me both bow on to him (so halved the number of shells I could deliver per firing cycle) and broadside on to one of his battleships. BLAP! and it was all over (and not for the enemy destroyer :Smile_ohmy:).

• Funny 1

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,298 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, the last time I tried this it worked regarding the destroyer - triggered hydro, magically saw him, avoided all his torps, was charging in for the kill :Smile_izmena: - the problem is that dodging between the torps left me both bow on to him (so halved the number of shells I could deliver per firing cycle) and broadside on to one of his battleships. BLAP! and it was all over (and not for the enemy destroyer :Smile_ohmy:).

Haha yeah it definitely comes associated with it's own brand of hard lessons, I still get busted trying that lol. The bow-on isn't so much of an issue, since even only the front guns of most cruisers will melt a DD in short order. It's making sure some undetected BB doesn't pop around the corner while you are making the approach that is the trick.