You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Situational_Unawareness

Beginner's concerns

45 comments in this topic

Members
63 posts
223 battles

So I've been dancing around this game for a while, playing it on and off mostly watching other people play but now that I've gotten settled into college I've found some time (and determination) to play it. I've only got 60 battles or so down and I'm hanging around tiers 3 and 4, really liking the German cruisers. However, I don't really think I'm getting the hang of more important parts of the game like armor angling/penetration, what each class of ship is supposed to do, I just kind of fumble around the map shooting things all game if I don't get deleted first. I also had a brief time trying out carriers which I found out I don't have the mental capacity to play all that properly. I want to be a proper team player but so far I've noticed I'm either not contributing much or being one of the first to die in a match and I'd rather get better and stop doing that before getting into higher tiers to avoid being "that guy."

Tl;dr How long does it usually take in terms of battles played before people start to become a bit more seasoned and accustomed with the more advanced parts of the game?

[NGUNS]
[NGUNS]
Members
199 posts
1,789 battles

Play about 200 games or so in each ship type (BB, CA/CL, DD, CV) to get a feel for what they are supposed to do in battle.  100 games in each nation to figure out their "flavor" (Japan has great HE, Germany has Great AP, etc.)  From there, learn through doing.  

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,109 posts
18,633 battles
4 minutes ago, Situational_Unawareness said:

So I've been dancing around this game for a while, playing it on and off mostly watching other people play but now that I've gotten settled into college I've found some time (and determination) to play it. I've only got 60 battles or so down and I'm hanging around tiers 3 and 4, really liking the German cruisers. However, I don't really think I'm getting the hang of more important parts of the game like armor angling/penetration, what each class of ship is supposed to do, I just kind of fumble around the map shooting things all game if I don't get deleted first. I also had a brief time trying out carriers which I found out I don't have the mental capacity to play all that properly. I want to be a proper team player but so far I've noticed I'm either not contributing much or being one of the first to die in a match and I'd rather get better and stop doing that before getting into higher tiers to avoid being "that guy."

Tl;dr How long does it usually take in terms of battles played before people start to become a bit more seasoned and accustomed with the more advanced parts of the game?

When you watch some clips and try to get the best out of your ship. The amount of games played means nothing if you only think: it’s only a game and who cares about winning. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

it doesn't get easier as you go up.   learn to aim, angle, dodge at t4 or lower.   get to 50+%  WR at t4 on several lines before moving up.

Members
2,748 posts
6,242 battles

Watch all the videos and training films you can. Pick out a certain type of ship you feel comfortable in and practice. Don't get overly aggressive (easy to do). Try to stay with a teammate. Don't go solo when possible. Leave yourself an escape rout. These are basics and believe me I've got over 5,000 games and I'm still working on them!!. Good luck. These guys here in the forum are great and will go out of their way to help you.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,033 battles

You'll get there, but it takes a lot of practice. I would suggest that you stick to one ship type for a while (American cruisers or IJN DDs) and get used to them. If you like being sneaky and stealth killing, then stick with IJN destroyers. If you like being big, tough, and dealing damage, then go with American BBs. For example. You can pick any country/line you like. 

As you play, make sure to think about your position and why what is happening is happening. Are you in a good position (using cover to protect your side and shooting at the closest enemy)? Are you far away from your team (too far forward and getting hit by 5 enemy ships)? Are you hitting with your shots (leading skills)? 

Once you get used to a line and can play it pretty well and consistently (barring those weird games where everything goes wrong no matter what), then start another line. 

It's not all about win rate, just so you're aware. You can have an amazing game and the team still loses. You can have a horrid game, but the team still wins. 

And, always, ask questions around here. Someone can help with almost anything. 

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
10 minutes ago, Situational_Unawareness said:

So I've been dancing around this game for a while, playing it on and off mostly watching other people play but now that I've gotten settled into college I've found some time (and determination) to play it. I've only got 60 battles or so down and I'm hanging around tiers 3 and 4, really liking the German cruisers. However, I don't really think I'm getting the hang of more important parts of the game like armor angling/penetration, what each class of ship is supposed to do....

To be fair, at the tiers you're playing, angling is really only a factor for BBs IMO. And all you really need to know about that is angled is better than not angled.

When you gain more experience in the game, you can seek out and apply more detailed knowledge.

For now, just do what you're doing, and don't run off by yourself. The main things (again IMO) that you want to be learning at this point is how to consistently hit what you aim at. If you start practicing good damage control habits, (ie. don't pop DC on a BB for one fire) and get used to random maneuvering, (at least whenever you're spotted) as well as not waiting for torp bombers to drop before avoiding, you'll be in good shape when you start playing mid tiers.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,418 battles

Subject in a different thread, we were talking about the disparity between new players and seal-clubbers.  It's when too much expertise can ruin the fun for new players.

As a bit of an old-timer, I usually stick to co-op for low tier.  Bots don't care if they get clubbed.

Ok..  Here's advise:  Please try to have fun.  You are here first, and foremost to engage in this sport and have an adventure.

Learn to free-camera after you are killed to roam about the map, watching others.  Destroyers are kind of fun to watch.  You'll see an experienced DD operator do all kinds of things you might not understand..  It's mental manipulation to turn enemy ships into torps. 

Why do some DDs light up with their guns right before torpedoes hit?  So the target uses up their repair - so they start a fire, op puts it out, few seconds later - torpedoes cause flooding -- repair is on cool-down.  Like I said..  Mental manipulation.   These are the actions of a seal-clubber.

Watch the population counter at the top of the screen.  If the number is over 10K, there are a lot there to hide your experience level in.  Stick with the pack. 

And if the pack is doing something incredibly stupid... it's because THEY ARE FOLLOWING YOU...  lol   

So stick with the pack -- in the back please..  unless you have torpedoes -- different matter.

Members
130 posts
5,187 battles

like Chess...easy to learn, hard to master

you're in college so I'd really focus more on that and just have fun/blow steam playing WOWS, but watch a few videos and consider what's most import key aspect of 'your' ship and how you can contribute to the battle/objective or win...ie running off and chasing a DD when a cap is needed or defended...WATCH the MAP and the TIME, and position yourself tactfully

BUT MOST IMPORTANT: have a great time with World of Warships and ignore negativity in chat!!

o7 

(I would love some spare time for randoms lol)

Edited by rogerwilco71
  • Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,159 posts
7,174 battles

Map awareness is your best friend.  Look ahead to where you are going and ask yourself "what would happen if a bunch of bigger ships popped up at different locations and had a good shot at me?"  If your answer is "Crap, I'm dead.", then perhaps you should avoid that area.  Always have a plan for worst case scenario, and an escape route.  

Cruisers are fragile ships at all tiers, especially when BBs are shooting at you.  Angling doesn't work from a penetration point of view, except that it does make you a smaller target and can throw off the targeting ability of some players.  Always move fast, change direction and speed often, and be willing to go gun silent (invisible) if it gets hot.  You can't always go invisible if a DD is spotting you.

Practice your aiming and shell selection.  It is important to use the proper shell type depending on the distance to target, the type of ship you are shooting at, and the angle of the ship.  A mid range BB that is angled will bounce AP from a cruiser.  HE fired at it will still do minor damage and create a fire from time to time.  The same BB might take tons of damage from AP if it goes broadside, but shooting HE broadside will still only do minor damage and cause the odd fire.  Learn the different ships and where to shoot to do maximum damage.

If you get a chance, play the different ship types.  Play a DD and BB.  Once you understand how those ships handle compared to a cruiser, you will have a much better understanding of how to play against them.

• Cool 1

Members
4,452 posts
6,152 battles

Try and stay alive but don't get overly passive to the point that you are not helping your team. It's a learning curve....staying alive but still damaging and killing ships. That skill comes with experience but it is a HUGE part of being a good player. Some players are so obsessed with just staying alive that they are basically useless to their team.  Those types catch a lot of criticism on this here forum. So what if you die but have killed a couple of ships and done a bunch of damage to other red ships setting them up for easy kills by your team mates. You are dead but you have done your duty.  You will die a lot in this game.....try and insure your death is not in vain. 

"It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win"  John Paul Jones

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Members
2,407 posts
2,202 battles

I often seen people say 1,000 - 1,500 games being when the ball really starts to get rolling. I wonder how you would name the tiers?

Tier 1: Welcome to World of Warships! The basics of movement.

Tier 2: A Mouse Skitters Across the Floor. The basics of torpedoes.

Tier 3: He Who Commands the Sea Has Command of Everything.The basics of battleships and aim (more guns for more forgiving.)

Tier 4: Fly My Pretties, Fly! The basics of carriers.

Tier 5: Road to Hill 30, Right of Passage

Tier 6: Advance Lesson 1: The New Meta, The Art of Tactics, An Introduction to Manual Drops

Tier 7: Advance Lesson 2: An Introduction to Radar

Tier 8: Advance Lesson 3: These Are The Voyages . . . (The Six Barrel Matchmaking)

Tier 9: Advance Lesson 4: The Art of Your Trade

Tier 10: Advance Lesson 5: The Art of Long Range Combat

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm at a little over 200 battles and am currently settled in mostly at tier 4...here are some tidbits I'd share:

As someone wrote...don't go off alone. I still often head to a flank alone.  Sometimes I successfully kite away when I find lots of enemies and sometimes I'm focused and obliterated. 

Be mindful of how many DDs the enemy has and try to take note of their location once they pop up on the map. Nothing will frustrate your plans to get your guns in the battle like a well played DD at the lower tiers. 

If BBs turn their guns toward you (assuming you are in a cruiser), relocate, don't brawl...especially if there is more than one looking at you. 

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles
1 hour ago, Situational_Unawareness said:

How long does it usually take in terms of battles played before people start to become a bit more seasoned and accustomed with the more advanced parts of the game?

If you want to accelerate your learning curve, I would suggest joining a clan that has a training element as a part of membership. I'm sure my clan is not alone in offering training nights and/or tactics discussions for its members.

Happy hunting!

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,942 battles

Hit Youtube hard if you have not already and watch all the vids you can that are specific to your particular ship. Notser, Zath's Replay Theatre, UrPeaceKeeper ("Whisky's gaming lounge"), Captain Rye all come to mind first; even Jingles, although he doesn't feature many particular ships these days. The disadvantages you will find are that some of these vids were made a while ago, before certain very significant changes were made to the order in which captains can achieve their various skills - so some of what was once easy to obtain is now not so much.

Unfortunately some of the YouTubers out there cover the higher-tier ships almost exclusively in their play, so all you can do is watch enviously and dream of the day those ships will be yours. But you can still pick up good tactical hints, although in some cases they are heavily dependent on the tech (hydroacoustic search, radar) possessed by the various ship types.

One thing I would strongly advise against (which you don't look like you're doing anyway) is the climbing of the British cruiser line to the exclusion of all else (my mistake; learn from it). With their lack of HE shells, they have an inability to set fires with their main armament and are at a distinct disadvantage with regards to a fair number of tasks that can bring you a whole lot of bonus goodies. From that perspective, diversity of ship type and/or nation is strength; have one of everything (battleship, cruiser, destroyer) at Tier 5 or above as soon as you can to be well prepped for those.

Carriers are a whole other different game style, and are in my opinion the province of people who are particularly good at multitasking.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[FGNE]
Members
315 posts
2,401 battles

I'm around 1400 battles and still learning, so as others have said be patient, ... stuff like angling and overmatch will eventually make sense, the important thing here is that you are aware of them! (many players with far more battles than me are not!).

A lot of good suggestions have been made by others, so instead of repeating I'll add just one thing:

When you get sunk, ask yourself (several times if needed): what could I have done to prevent my death?

i.e.:

You were the first to die:

• perhaps you pushed too hard/fast into a cap 
  • perhaps you didn't noticed that your team went the other way and you ended up fighting half the enemy fleet by yourself (you were focused)

You got hit by multiple torpedoes and died (some ships can fire their torpedos without being detected (stealth fire)):

• Did you knew torpedoes were on their way? > you didn't take a successful evasive action (hint: reducing speed while turning will make you turn faster/tighter) 
  • I didn't knew torpedos were fired > If you are detected but you see no one detecting you chances are that a DD has seen you (but you haven't seen it yet) > you better assume torpedoes are on their way, take proactive evasion, change speed and direction, the torps will miss you by a mile!

Sometimes the answer will not be obvious, in these cases (as previously stated) the answer will likely be that you weren't map aware (I'm still working on this), you have to keep an eye on the minimap as often as possible; I often do the mistake of committing to an action course and not looking at the minimap until that action has been completed. i.e. you might be pushing into a cap with 3 more ships, but they turn away the moment the enemy showed up and you end up fighting alone.

And sure.. sometimes you will have done the right thing but still end up with a one-way trip to the bottom, ... it happens.

Oh!, one more thing, if you ever find yourself frustrated (i.e. a losing streak), but still want to play ships, change ship/class/tier. It often helps.

Edited by CO_Valle

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
2 hours ago, Situational_Unawareness said:

There is a ridiculous amount of depth to this if you want to immerse yourself in angles and whatnot and a great deal of this information is not easily accessible. I don't have time for all that but I do learn things occasionally from youtube videos and ship reviews. I recommend Flamu/Noster/NoZoupforyou/Aeroon/iChasegaming for youtube videos, in that order for learning things (unless you're fixated on Carriers, then no one is better than Farazelleth).

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

This is a pretty short, and new player friendly, podcast from Maddminister (Warship Tactics Podcast) on the basics of map positioning for different ship types.  If you would rather listen than read articles/posts, you might find this helpful.  Where you deploy your ship to balance survival with doing meaningful damage/helping your team is one of the concepts that took me the longest to figure out in the beginning.

https://www.warshiptactics.com/warship-tactics-podcast/

Edited by delp5117

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,298 battles

I learn new stuff every time I play basically, even over 1000 games. If you are new, the mistake you are almost certainly making is not watching the map enough... especially in a cruiser of any flavor. Cruisers are punishing, maybe the hardest to play properly, because improper play leads to very fast deaths where you don't learn much beyond "well that was a poor decision". I seen someone say German AP is great, and it's not bad, but the AP champions are definitely the US. German HE actually pens better than other nations (1/6th the gun mm = penetration normally, Germans get 1/4th), so if they start to angle and your damage drops off, definitely don't be afraid to burn them down. One important thing to remember when in a cruiser is that the less ships there are on the map, the stronger they become. This is because cruisers do the most damage per second, and tank damage pretty much the worst. So play conservatively at the beginning of the match so you have the HP to get really aggressive once the battle starts cooling down a bit. Other than that, watch some of the community contributor videos. Personally, I think Flamu is one of the best out there, both in terms of his skill and his ability to explain mechanics. Jingles is less good, but very entertaining lol. Flambass is another good one, but he focuses mostly on DD play.

dark.png

Members
2,274 posts
7,338 battles

Around 1000 battles i would say. But it can vary depending on your commitemnt to the game. I saw players with around 10k battles that are terrible and still dont know basics mechanics of the game.

If you are willing to really improve and watch YT videos, streams, read things you can improve really fast.  Also, try to realize what you did wrong in a battle and what you could do right. For and example, why did you die in "X" situation.

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles

Welcome aboard. Almost everyone here is nice and will answer questions and offer advice. There be trolls here, so ignore them when they pop out from under the bridge. :)

First off, before you play too many more battles, go to this link. https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/OwpAraz If you are just starting or have not been playing long like yourself, you can get a new player invite to get some cool stuff. You should get Diana and Texas as free premium ships for playing long enough as a newbie and other cool things. I also get some silver if you make it to T6 and get Texas, so you can help me out too. :)

Another great resource is @hangglide42's WoWs Enjoyment series. I believe the forum post below takes you to the main post in that series. There are other great posts in the New Player Guides forum. Hanglide42 answers a lot of questions, but if you miss one in there, most people here will answer your questions without being a jerk. Ignore the jerks. :)

Youtube videos are another great resource and you have a choice of player styles of the people who do videos. If you are thinking about spending money on the game, definitely, I can't state this enough, DEFINITELY check out @LittleWhiteMouse's Premium ship guides. She will be the first to tell you to check other reviews as well, but I think she is the gold standard for ship reviews.

As for co-op(PvE) vs randoms(PvP), play what you like. If you want to be a PvP main, do spend some time at the beginning in PvE, to get used to shooting, moving and communicating all at once, then play PvP. Most people usually take a new ship into PvE a time or two to learn how the ship handles. Some will play it in PvE until all the modules are researched and then take it into PvP. Experiment with the PvP/PvE ratio and go with what you like. I would recommend to pop back into PvP at tier 5, as that is when you start seeing ships two tiers above you. I would suggest playing PvE at T5 enough, until you get comfortable with being bottom tier vs bots, and then popping back into PvP to learn how to be bottom tier vs players. As a PvE main, I think spending all that time bottom tier vs bots, gave me more confidence at being bottom tier vs players because I was able to have success at being bottom tier and seeing how bottom tier plays.

Overall, it is a great game. Don't get discouraged by the learning curve as you can still play and have fun no matter how good you are. (I'm proof of that :Smile_teethhappy:) Don't try to learn everything at once. If you get to a tier where you have trouble, stay at the lower tiers to figure it out some more. Some ships you will click with and some you won't, so there is a lot of variety to try. Don't think that one person's view on a ship is the only one out there, because there is many a ship that some will think is great and someone else will think is awful and they will reverse on other ships. People sometimes seem to change sides on every other ship and I have seen myself that a ship I could not do well with, I ended up doing better with later. :)

Good Luck and Fair Seas

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

@Kizarvexis, at 60 battles, the game probably already considers him a veteran. I think when you reach level 3 you are SOL. I got there in the first or second night in game and then my clan leader from tanks/ships sent me the invite...I no longer qualified. Poop on you WG!!  :Smile-_tongue: