You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Team Players Can be great they can be awful

4 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,942 posts

The other day a player in a New Mexico spammed over 200  to  300 times   using the auto talk saying negative and the like,     And a friend was cussed out because he capped the enemy base while there were still 2  'enemy ships' afloat,   

[SALVO]
Members
16,660 posts
17,308 battles
6 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

The other day a player in a New Mexico spammed over 200  to  300 times   using the auto talk saying negative and the like,     And a friend was cussed out because he capped the enemy base while there were still 2  'enemy ships' afloat,   

You don't see that many people getting ripped these days for capping out the enemy in Standard mode.  Oh, I suppose they might if they somehow managed to get to the enemy base relatively early in a battle before team mates had had time to do some damage, etc. and make the battle worth while.  But I think that most people now realize that (a) capping is worth quite a lot of XP, so it's hard to blame the person for capping, and (b) if you don't cap out in a sure win, it might take a few more minutes to chase down the remaining few enemies, or (c) you might lose otherwise.  (C) doesn't happen that much (i.e. complaints about capping out when you're trailing), because anyone with a clue realizes that the capper is probably your only reasonable chance at victory.

I actually capped out for the win on Shatter a week or 2 ago in a battle that would have otherwise been a loss.  Zipped right up the middle in my Khab (or maybe it was my Grozovoi) and hid behind the island on the enemy cap.  The enemy ships were so far from their  cap that they didn't have time to get back and get onto the cap to stop me.  If I'd been out in the open and spottable, they got close enough that they could have landed shots on me.  But hiding behind the island prevented them from even having that chance.  It's always pretty amusing to win a standard mode battle against a team that was ahead on ships, because they foolishly left their cap exposed.  Oops.

[-SYN-]
Members
31 posts
3,761 battles

Not sure I understand the OP 100%. But as for the capping issue, I think I've seen a change in attitude over the past year that I've been playing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that players in the mid tiers (where I live) used to be a little more ballsy (the clinical term) when it came to pushing in and trying to hold the caps. As Crucis says, dds would often sneak in and hide somewhere within the circle, or at the very least get close and make the campers uncomfortable. I remember quite often seeing cruisers and even the occasional insane bb doing this. It wasn't always successful but it did create a hell of a fighting game.

This pushing doesn't seem to happen so much anymore.  Game after game, it seems that the prevalent strategy is to sail in circles on our side of the map and wait for the reds to come to us. And there are always lots of voices in chat saying this is the way to do it--use your range advantage, etc. And maybe it is, maybe we're getting "better" in the sense of staying alive longer.... 

The above is just an observation--has anyone else noticed any change in attitude around aggressive play in these tiers? 

[WOLF2]
Members
867 posts
7,019 battles

In the OPs example, the game was probably 8 ships to 2.   Capping the enemy isn't really necessary to secure the win, as the reds would soon fall to superior numbers.  "KILL DON'T CAP" is what I sometimes see.

However, capping does give you some good XP, and if the two remaining reds are hiding in the corners, and it'll take five minutes just to find them, yeah.... I'm capping.   It's a W on the scoreboard, and the extra XP is nice.

But.... if I didn't want to selfishly take the extra XP, I could either wait the extra five minutes for the match to end, or exit out early and start another match.