Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DiddleDum

Captain Strategy - Best Approach?

15 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
862 posts
6,991 battles

As I grind up my various ships, I have a question on how best to handle the captains.   My method so far has been to grind a ship to the next tier, take the captain and move him to the new ship.       I spend the 200k silver to cut the retraining in half.

That works ok for lower tier/lower pointed captains.     I'm getting many of my captains above 14 points, and wonder if there's another (or better) strategy than retraining each time I buy a new ship.    What is the best approach?

• Move the captain to the higher tier, pay 200k silver and grind?
  • Move the captain to the higher tier, pay 500 dubloons to retrain?
  • Start a fresh captain?

I have a few 19 pointers in T7 and T8 botes.   Eventually, I'd like them moved when I get the ships to T9/T10.      Would like your opinion on the most efficient approach to moving captains (or starting fresh ones).

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,203 battles

Well, premium battleships make for great captain trainers. You use the 200k silver to get you half the way, start the retraining process, and then switch the captain over to a premium ship where he can still use his skills while retraining for the new ship.

Otherwise, with the right combination of XP and Captain XP boosters (flags, camos, specials etc), it is usually possible to make around 15k captain XP even on defeats (sometimes up to 30k), so even if you do have a few terrible games, you won't have many.

At least, that's how I handle things.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

Use the elite captain xp from your 19 pointers and dragon flags to retrain them more quickly.

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

I usually do the 200K silver and grind, but I also deliberately avoid getting captains to too high a level before they are on their "end" ships precisely because of the high retraining cost after 15 points or so.  I see your dilemma.

If you're not in a hurry, there have been a couple of opportunities for free or discounted retraining - you can't time them, but they seem to pop up every few months.  500 doubloons is a lot, but if you get a sale and can do it for 200...might be worth it.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,157 posts
7,163 battles

I use first win bonuses, lots of flags, and premium ships to retrain my captains when ever possible.  It usually only takes a few games to retrain with the right combination. Its better than using doubloons.  

[WOLF2]
Members
862 posts
6,991 battles

Fortunately, I have premium battleships across all lines (except for Dunkerque) and three 19 pointers that I use consistently to build elite captain XP.       However, most of my grind over the past couple of months was to get Missouri and Montana, and my first 19 point captain (now up to three).

But, I have a 19 pointer in the New Orleans, and one in the King George V.     While I can use the elite XP, flags, and win bonus to expedite their retraining, is that the best approach?

Or, as Lillehuntrix posted, because of the high retraining cost past 15 points, would it be more effective to slap in a lower point captain?      I actually did this on the USN cruiser side.  I bought the Baltimore, but didn't want to move New Orlean's captain to the Baltimore, and then again once I get to the Des Moines.         So, the Baltimore got a 10 point captain from reserve, and I will start building him up.

Members
2,748 posts
6,235 battles
44 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Use the elite captain xp from your 19 pointers and dragon flags to retrain them more quickly

This is what I do. I try to train up as many captains as possible. Put them in my best ships. Use them first and get the daily bonus with the first win in that ship and then go to the next when possible.

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

The cost for the 17-19th point is so high...it makes me wonder of its worth it. I get burned out after 3-4 games in the same ship...wonder if 10 14 point captains wouldn't better serve you than 2-3 19pt'rs.. that said, I have spent an embarrassing amount of money on flags and camos to increase my captains xp per game.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,628 battles

1. have enough 19 points captains 

2. have enough premium ships

3. Use captain XP flags

4. Pay 200k credits to train him half the way

5. Use the captain XP you farm with 1-3 to pay the rest 

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

Best strategy for handling captains is using elite captain XP.  Best ship for gaining that elite XP fast is Musashi with Y118 camouflage and 19 point captain.

Alpha Tester
2,722 posts
4,314 battles

When your captain who is closest to 19 is using the most nerfed ship in the game.............:Smile_sceptic:

Members
17,764 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, DiddleDum said:

As I grind up my various ships, I have a question on how best to handle the captains.   My method so far has been to grind a ship to the next tier, take the captain and move him to the new ship.       I spend the 200k silver to cut the retraining in half.

That works ok for lower tier/lower pointed captains.     I'm getting many of my captains above 14 points, and wonder if there's another (or better) strategy than retraining each time I buy a new ship.    What is the best approach?

• Move the captain to the higher tier, pay 200k silver and grind?
  • Move the captain to the higher tier, pay 500 dubloons to retrain?
  • Start a fresh captain?

I have a few 19 pointers in T7 and T8 botes.   Eventually, I'd like them moved when I get the ships to T9/T10.      Would like your opinion on the most efficient approach to moving captains (or starting fresh ones).

If you can afford it, pay the dubs for higher-skill captains. Once they hit 10 points, I retrain with dubs. 7-10, I'll pay the 200k, use a premium if I have one, (I only have freebies) and throw a commander XP camo and signals on.

I don't pay for premium, or buy premium ships, but spending 10 bucks every 2-3 months for dubs for retraining is well worth it to me.

If I keep several ships in a line, every captain moves up a ship when I get a new one. It may cost more to do it this way, but I want my better captains in higher tier ships. I'll use a T3-4 ship to get a captain to 6 pts before putting him in a T5-6.

Edited by Skpstr

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles

Always buy the half training for 200K, and then use premiums and events like the Killer Whale event where XP rewards are huge. Flags help.

[WOLF2]
Members
862 posts
6,991 battles

It sounds like the responses mirror what I've been doing so far - moving captain to new bote, and retraining him.    I have been using my elite XP to grind more 19pointers, since the result snowballs, and the elite XP is thrown to the next-highest point captain.     I can certainly use elite XP to retrain - but 125k just to get them retrained...    I'm torn - spend it to get them retrained, or use that 125k towards my next 19 pointer?

[SF-3]
Members
1,438 posts
7,891 battles

I usually move the captain along and retrain for each ship. However, on certain ships I really like, or that are OP. I will usually start a new captain and just leave them on that ship.

Sign in to follow this