Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Raptor_alcor

So, about the badge thing

21 comments in this topic

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,145 battles

I keep seeing people complain about it and in my time playing in co-op waiting for a good line to finally come out again I've finally gotten to see what people are complaining about. 

.... a badge that covers maybe 15% of the screen and stays arround for 3 seconds at most is what's gotten so many people pissy? I... I thought most of us here on the forums were supposed to be adults that could deal with such very minor events happening. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 4

[BB-57]
Members
542 posts
17,766 battles

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is about.

I actually like to see the individual touch some put into it. Shows whoever waxed you really cares.

Edited by DakotaViking
stuff

Members
180 posts
5,978 battles

Some people don't like knowing they were killed by someone using the base naval insignia on the stock brown patch...

[USCC]
Members
3,906 posts
19,195 battles
12 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Just a nuisance. "Dog tag remover" mod. Done and done!

This ^^^ 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles
40 minutes ago, Raptor_alcor said:

I... I thought most of us here on the forums were supposed to be adults that could deal with such very minor events happening. 

You have played this game for far too long to believe something like that.

[PVE]
Members
1,145 posts
38,936 battles

My teenaged grandson thinks the "funny" horns and the "Boy Scout" badges are cool. I guess that is WOWs new target market. 

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles
25 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

My teenaged grandson thinks the "funny" horns and the "Boy Scout" badges are cool. I guess that is WOWs new target market. 

Because teenage boys are full of cash. Right.

[PVE]
Members
1,145 posts
38,936 battles
4 minutes ago, m373x said:

Because teenage boys are full of cash. Right.

Their parents may be. I just think the horns and badges are juvenile. But then I'm an old guy. 

Edited by gillhunter

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
5,728 battles

The only time they bother me really, is when you can't see if you're going to get a "it's just a flesh would " or not.

Members
1,866 posts
26 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

Steam exploded with derision over the cartoon girls, and they allow things to be said that get scrubbed here. But zero kid appeal is where good games go to die. I can put up with a lot of optional silliness if it helps capture the youngun market. I have signed up a young cartoon-oriented man to try the game.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,623 battles

Those who complain about the positioning and display duration of the emblem have a valid point as @toosonmike pointed out. It takes nothing away from the purpose to reposition the emblem.

Members
4,203 posts
1 hour ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Just a nuisance. "Dog tag remover" mod. Done and done!

This:Smile_great:

I just wish it was not the middle of the screen, can they not move to the left or the right?

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[SALVO]
Members
28,044 posts
41,542 battles
1 hour ago, Raptor_alcor said:

I keep seeing people complain about it and in my time playing in co-op waiting for a good line to finally come out again I've finally gotten to see what people are complaining about. 

.... a badge that covers maybe 15% of the screen and stays arround for 3 seconds at most is what's gotten so many people pissy? I... I thought most of us here on the forums were supposed to be adults that could deal with such very minor events happening. 

I guess that the concept of rubbing salt in the wound is meaningless to you.  But for most people, it's disgustingly offensive to taunt and rub salt in the wound of someone you just beat in a game.  And if anything, if you see nothing wrong with this, I'd say that says more about YOU than it does the people who find this kind of garbage extremely offensive.

[SALVO]
Members
28,044 posts
41,542 battles
9 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Those who complain about the positioning and display duration of the emblem have a valid point as @toosonmike pointed out. It takes nothing away from the purpose to reposition the emblem.

Or just put an option in the game settings to just plain turn it off!

Members
1,866 posts
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Or just put an option in the game settings to just plain turn it off!

I think there will be an option later, a lot of players don't like it. There was a mod in what, 24-hours. I always look at who sunk me, so it's not like I don't care or get mad. The screen-covering size is a no-go though; I'm still watching the match. If I had a clan badge instead of these generic badges, it would interest me. I play against thousands of random people. Individually, I can't pay attention to what badge.

Beta Testers
160 posts
3,044 battles

Honestly I thought I was going to hate it.  But I found it was not as intrusive as I feared.

But still I would turn it off if I had the option.

Just like the anime stuff.  I personally have it turned off, but I think it's great that people who like can have it on.

Options are a good thing!

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

My teenaged grandson thinks the "funny" horns and the "Boy Scout" badges are cool. I guess that is WOWs new target market

Beats the Japanese stuff.

• Cool 1

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles
2 hours ago, gillhunter said:

I don’t have a grandson yet, but my son is 16.  I think the horns and badges are cool, maybe I am not old enough?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles
29 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And if anything, if you see nothing wrong with this, I'd say that says more about YOU than it does the people who find this kind of garbage extremely offensive.

Umm, no. Here, let me break this down for you so it's easy to understand:
   Saying that you do not believe the emblems or badges are a problem implies that the person saying it it:
-Is cool-headed because they don't get their knickers in a twist about a silly patch
-Has a sense of what the developers actually intended in addition to the sense of how they interpret it, and they know the difference
-Feels secure in their gameplay

Whereas you with your statement... Oooh boy, let's dig into what this implies about you:

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I guess that the concept of rubbing salt in the wound is meaningless to you.  But for most people, it's disgustingly offensive to taunt and rub salt in the wound of someone you just beat in a game.

1. You view getting killed in a player-versus-player game as some sort of humiliation. You are very insecure with your gameplay, which probably stems from a more generally pervasive sense of insecurity in your life.
  2. You think that saying anything that acknowledges that you've just been killed is a "taunt." This implies that you feel that people are out to hurt you, again stemming from insecurity.
  3. You are incredibly defensive of the previous two insecurities, and like to twist them into being a positive trait rather than a character flaw by saying it somehow makes you more of a person than people who disagree. This implies that you have a generally low self-esteem, and can't take criticism.
  4. You also like to believe that everyone else thinks what you say, and co-opt other people into your argument without any respect to their ideas. This implies that you feel like an outcast and you want to make other people the outcast to derive a sense of vindication.
  5. You have no concept of how a game, which is played for fun and requires that you make the choice to play it, is fundamentally different from real life. This implies that you don't view your life as very fulfilling, and you put entirely too much of your happiness in a game.
  6. Because of #4, where you think that everyone else thinks exactly like you, you project malicious intent upon the developers because you do not comprehend how they could think any differently from you.
  7. You are either bitter about past humiliation (since you focus on "salt" and "wounds" so much) or are currently experiencing regular humiliation which you feel powerless against, so you like to humiliate other people who disagree with you to derive a sense of vindication.
  8. You have trouble regulating your emotions and tone, and this often causes conflict between you and other people. Because of your insecurity, you have decided that you need to defend this too, and go out of your way in-order to use the most emotionally-charged "arguments" that you can to humiliate others.
  9. Because of your insecurities, you feel the need to target people you think of as bullies because you know that what you are doing is bullying behavior, but you think that you can make yourself feel better by targeting people you think society would be better-off without because, once again, you don't understand how people could ever disagree with you.
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

And if anything, if you see nothing wrong with this, I'd say that says more about YOU than it does the people who find this kind of garbage extremely offensive.

And, finally, because you are insecure, because you assume your opinion is the majority because the alternative would be humiliation in your eyes, and because you defend whatever you say as moral truth and like to attack people you think are worth less than others to get a sense of vindication, you like to reflect your idea of what people say back onto their character, and have no concept that someone's ideas and life structure can be any different from what you think about how they present themselves.

So, Mr. "Debater," hows that for some psychoanalysis? Oh, and before you go out to call me an "elitist" who's "out to get you" (like everyone else in your mind), you might want to go refer again to the hierarchy of arguments (which you obviously learned when you learned to debate). A quick reminder, the bottom-part is considered the least-acceptable, worst way of debating. I have posted a handy reference chart for just this purpose.

1280px-Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreemen

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles
3 hours ago, Raptor_alcor said:

I thought most of us here on the forums were supposed to be adults that could deal with such very minor events happening. 

5a68a37f8ceb6_Screenshot2018-01-2410_16_51.png.77b4301a7ca65b1800efde6d620b3e85.png

4 out of 8 responders are not mature adults:Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this