You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_Hf93Jbjm9WjT

Cossack is OverPowered!

50 comments in this topic

Members
4,302 posts

After watching Youtube reviews and reading forum opinions, which are mostly negative and critical, I felt it time to check out the vital WIP statistics of this upcoming tier7 premium destroyer, HMS Cossack, one of the Tribal class using our WOWS Wiki as a source. This post is based upon a reply I made to @NoZoupForYou topic of his excellent video review, but which I feel, to balance, we need to present the other side of the story, to let the statistics, as they are as of today, speak...

All stats taken from wows wiki, here http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Cossack.

guns :

Looking at the guns, she has by a very wide margin, the longest range (11.83 km) of her tier. Minsk comes second at 11.08. Reload time at 5 seconds isn't too bad either, (Mahan tops the table at 4 secs).

concealment : 

6.84 km is the second BEST in her tier, GM comes second with 7.02, Shirayatsu comes first with 6.66km/.

So we have excellent range for the guns coupled to excellent concealment values.

torpedoes :

The torpedos at 61 km are reasonably fast with a convenient range of 8.01 km. This puts Cossack among the best of her tier for speed/range/dmg (15887). She also benefits from single fire mode, which is very useful for cross firing, corner sniping and other advanced torpedo tactics that are only available to RN dds.

summary !

Good concealment values = decent survivability, and more opportunities to deal dmg.

Cossack has the second best HP pool of her tier, too with 14800, only Błyskawica has more hp at 15500. Compare to Akatsuki which has a miserable 11 600 hp!

Cossack has the BEST rudder shift time of her tier, 3.6 seconds, coupled to a reasonable turning circle (610), giving her excellent manouvreability (very useful if you have to show a 45 degree broadside to fire all guns, but also useful for kiting and dodging torps/inc volleys)

summary !

Large hp pool + excellent manouvreability = good survivability when under fire

(is she in fact, sekretly, overpowered?)

Spoiler

(I won't lie, the purpose of this post is to find all that there is positive to say about Cossack, and I thought it would be hard to find nice things to say...) Of course, everything about Cossack is subject to change, everything we know is conditional, based upon CC feedback and opinion, and WOWS wiki data.

• Meh 4

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,486 posts
29,139 battles

After the PA DDs gave us a peek at her little sister, can't wait to see her.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

You are forgetting Shiratsuyu that has 6.6km

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,675 battles

Best range is no help if the gun arcs go over the moon like Gallant's do. As for torpedoes, did you happen to see how many tubes she has...?

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,837 battles
8 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

6.84 km is the second BEST in her tier

Good concealment values

Reveal hidden contents

(I won't lie, the purpose of this post is to find all that there is positive to say about Cossack, and I thought it would be hard to find nice things to say...) Of coruse, everything about Cossack is subject to change, everything we know is conditional, based upon CC feedback and opinion, and WOWS wiki data.

I wouldn't call 6.8 concealment good.

Members
4,302 posts
10 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Best range is no help if the gun arcs go over the moon like Gallant's do. As for torpedoes, did you happen to see how many tubes she has...?

4? If you can single fire and put them all on target, what would you need more for?:Smile_glasses: While as for firing arc, if they are the over the moon type, they would be very useful, coupled with the excellent range, for firing over natural obstacles such as islands..

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles
23 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

After the PA DDs gave us a peek at her little sister, can't wait to see her.

Gadjah Mada is an N-class destroyer, a successor to the Tribal class destroyers, of which, Cossack is one of.

Members
4,302 posts
5 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Ok but where is the UK DD line?

Probably waiting for an opportunity to monetize it, our desire for a RN dd line, driving premium sales. What's new? At the very least, this premium gives us an opportunity to see just what a RN dd line will/would look like, and what its playstyle might be. Oh, and errm, it kinda might cool interest in Haida, given the negative reaction to Cossack.

Members
4,302 posts
Just now, GreyFox78659 said:

From what I understand Cossack is Haida because the owners of Haida want royalties from WG.

Haida wasn't the only RCN Tribal class destroyer, honestly I would discount that theory, for if there were a serious interest in introducing a Canadian dd into the game, where there is a will, there is a way.

Members
4,302 posts
5 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Why would you take this over leningrad or blys?

Because you might want a British captain trainer? Because you are a RN nut? because you like the name, you prefer the model? Because why not? (some of the vital stats, are notably superior to Leningrad and Blyz too.) Because tier7 dds are affordable, we can have them all? Why does anyone buy a premium? All sorts of reasons.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Problem with Cossack seems to be that her cons far outweigh her pros.

Four torpedo tubes with just either single launch or wide angle launch is bad. Like really bad. There's no reason to not have a small angle launch like every other DD, and no one ever uses wide angle, even up close. And having both torpedoes and the aft gun have such poor firing angles doesn't help it either. So while it's very agile and stealthy, it doesn't have the armament to take advantage of it, being forced to sail very broadside to bring all her weapons to bear.

If you look at recent history, you'll remember the Kidd that traded half her torpedo armament for better anti-air. And that ship was grossly underpowered as tested. In the end, they needed to add Repair Party to her to make her competitive (perhaps excessively so ... that DD is amazing now). Seems to me Cossack is in a similar situation. Although I'm grateful they are ironing out the kinks with this Tribal before working on Haida ;)

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Honestly? A lot of ships look good going by stats alone, until you play them. Some ships look bad going by stats alone, until you play them.

There's really no reason to pull this out into a new thread just because no one was engaging your points in the other thread (for the most part) and while I will reserve judgment until I see it myself, if the entirety of the collective CCs think it's garbage, you posting a 'omg Cossack is overpowered' thread based solely on a few cherrypicked raw numbers is hilarious. 

Edited by poeticmotion

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles
34 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

From what I understand Cossack is Haida because the owners of Haida want royalties from WG.

Same class? Yes. Same ship? No. Cossack is probably being used as a platform to figure out how to balance the Tribal class. As @LittleWhiteMouse has said the whole Tribal class is hard to balance. So they are probably using Cossack to figure out a way to do so and after that they will release Haida. because if Wargaming screws Haida up and makes her 'Garbage'.......the Canadians will be making very sternly worded posts on the forum saying our displeasure. 

What?

We're Canadians, we don't riot. We sternly protest.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles
Just now, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

We're Canadians, we don't riot. We sternly protest.

But you also apologize for the inconvenience before, during, and after the protest. 

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles
Just now, poeticmotion said:

Honestly? A lot of ships look good going by stats alone, until you play them. Some ships look bad going by stats alone, until you play them.

There's really no reason to pull this out into a new thread just because no one was engaging you in the other thread (spamming replies isn't the same as 'talking with someone' when you're being ignored) and while I reserve judgment until I see it myself, if the entirety of the collective CCs think it's garbage, you posting a 'omg Cossack is overpowered' thread based solely on a few cherrypicked raw numbers is hilarious. 

Which ships look bad going by stats yet perform well?

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles
Just now, poeticmotion said:

Some ships look bad going by stats alone, until you play them.

-Cough-

8b9ebdbc-9b00-11e6-a44d-d89d6715223c.jpg

-Cough-

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles
1 minute ago, poeticmotion said:

But you also apologize for the inconvenience before, during, and after the protest. 

Exactly.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Which ships look bad going by stats yet perform well?

8b9ebdbc-9b00-11e6-a44d-d89d6715223c.jpg

Look no further.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,364 posts
29,395 battles

From all the CC videos, I can tell that I do not have enough skill to make her good.

But my wallet is begging me to buy it, and my OCD is urging me not to pass her up....