You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
skull_122_steel

Graf Spee

42 comments in this topic

[COB45]
Members
1,011 posts
3,472 battles

Is the Graf Spee a good buy I know everyone says its bad but why when I watch games with it they always seem to do good I may buy it after I get the Roma

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

I've enjoyed my Graf Spee, she's quite fun to punish other cruisers with.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,705 posts
26,569 battles
16 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

everyone says its bad

Then 'everyone' is lying. While not OP by any stretch it still outperforms all T6 cruisers in winrate and most in DPG. Read Mouse's review.

• Meh 1

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

I like the ship. I play mostly BBs so when do play the Spee I have to remind myself that she's not a small BB and does have torps.

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,475 battles

Well worth the get for a tier 6 cruiser, especially if you are looking for German captain trainer.

[BB-57]
Members
201 posts
23,338 battles
27 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

Is the Graf Spee a good buy I know everyone says its bad but why when I watch games with it they always seem to do good I may buy it after I get the Roma

A cruiser with BB size guns, 20 second reload and good torps.  Oh and a nice heal option.....get her!

[KILL]
Members
1,444 posts
15,214 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Then 'everyone' is lying. While not OP by any stretch it still outperforms all T6 cruisers in winrate and most in DPG. Read Mouse's review.

It is bad.  The only reason it's got higher stats than every other tier 6 is because everyone that started playing the game played those tier 6's when they were still bad.    Graf came out after they got better and just bsk the newbies in it.

• Meh 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,705 posts
26,569 battles
2 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

It is bad.  The only reason it's got higher stats than every other tier 6 is because everyone that started playing the game played those tier 6's when they were still bad.    Graf came out after they got better and just bsk the newbies in it.

Riiiiiiiight. And chickens fly, pigs can talk and Mozambique is a world leader in nuclear power development.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Meh 1

[COB45]
Members
1,011 posts
3,472 battles
4 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

that doesn't seem to help the duca any but hey what do I know

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
19,782 battles

A year and a half ago I started buying tier 6 premiums.  Graf was my least favorite at that time.  Reload was slow, shot pattern seemed alll over the place, she was ponderous... a disappointment to be sure.  The French De Grasse was my early favorite and I love her still, BUT... Graf has become my go to favorite Tier 6 cruiser.  I have grown to love her guns, her speed is deliberate and with those wonderful heals she is a beautiful baby.  A fine trainer!

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

The people who primarily own the regular Graf Spee were already well seasoned cruiser captains: meaning they could exploit the ships strengths and mitigate its major weaknesses. It's really one of those "play if you have a skills" ships. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,800 battles

It is a great ship. It is a slow CA with 6x BB guns and that's exactly how it plays. Plus it's Graf Spee. 

Members
67 posts
14,706 battles
27 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

I eat cruisers and DDs for snacks.  Right up until I meet the gun boat DD that kites me.  This is all based on my aggressive charging forward play style.

I also on a few occasions chased BBs.  And if I angle it right, there is a good probability that I can charge close enough to launch my torpedoes within 4km range.  Just be mindful that if the BB is in relative good health, your single torpedo broadside of 4 torpedoes usually won't be able to sink it.  It will come close.  This is most definitely true against the USN BBs.  They can take torpedo damage much better than other nations.  

If you manage it right, between your fighter plane and sonar, you can almost keep up an around the clock torpedo spotting zone.  

You can try a secondary built.  The range will end up at 6km.  Overall, a fun and solid ship.  But will have problems against fast firing ships and needs to be extra mindful when bringing your rear gun turret around to fire, least you will show too much side and for too long of a time.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

It's not for everyone, just like all other premiums. The biggest downside is the gun. 1x 3 front, 1 x 3 aft, so usually the ship only has 1 turret firing. if you do miss a salvo from any turrets, immediate 50% decrease in potential damage.

Edited by NeutralState

Members
12,680 posts
14,320 battles

Graff Spee is 1 of only 2 Heavy Cruisers at tier VI, 1 of them is Graff Spee and the other is Aoba.

All other tier VI Cruisers are Light Cruisers.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I got my first Kraken in the Spee. I couldn't quite figure it out and wasn't doing so well playing it until I figured out its secret -- it's a battleship. Sure, its a short-range, very squishy battleship but if you play it as such then you will do well in it. Run AP and wait in hiding, when you see a cruiser go broadside then let those big shells fly. If someone comes round the island to get you then torpedo them.

Members
50 posts
617 battles

She's a fun ship. Works great when paired with a BB if using hydro. Support early on then hunt down and sink damaged ships in the mid-late stages of the game.

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
23,959 battles

I thought I was a BB main until I got the Graf Spee in the event for it. It's a great earner and trainer for the German BB as well as cruiser lines.

Don't make the mistake to play it like a BB though and travel in straight lines. I like using islands to close the distance, get the scout plane up and then kite away at the reverse angle on the other side.

Make the most of it's guns by shooting at everything in sight and not singling out any one ship unless it's a squishy cruiser. Spread the damage around. The speed is not great (speed flag helps a lot) but it has good agility for a CA. If the guns don't turn fast enough for your liking turn the ship to make the shot. This ship will really benefit from you learning to maneuver by minimap while zoomed in and the occasional right-click to keep track of your surroundings. Fire and forget. 

As for the torps I see many making the mistake of launching them too soon. Bow into your target and use that agility and great arcs to fire them at the last second when you can't miss.

Members
1,374 posts
7,142 battles

It's different. Anyone telling you it's straight up bad is very wrong. It can suffer quite a lot depending on the matchmaking. It can really do nothing against battleships smart enough to angle and not let you rush them down with torpedoes. Sometimes the dispersion is frustrating. But in the right circumstances it can absolutely shine. If you want a premium that can consistently do well the Graf Spee isn't it. If you want a unique experience that can be surprisingly fun at times it's worth getting. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,623 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Riiiiiiiight. And chickens fly, pigs can talk and Mozambique is a world leader in nuclear power development.

Mozambique? I never knew...

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,276 posts
23,577 battles

Graff Spee is great! Not sure why someone would think it is bad. It is one of the most versatile ships in the game. Yes get it!

[COUP]
Members
68 posts
19,684 battles

I play mine like the Spanish Inquisition.  No DD expects to suddenly lose 5k HP when I appear!

It's a very fun cruiser to play.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,333 posts
8,606 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

The people who primarily own the regular Graf Spee were already well seasoned cruiser captains: meaning they could exploit the ships strengths and mitigate its major weaknesses. It's really one of those "play if you have a skills" ships. 

Not sure I'd go that far but I agree with most of it. She does require thoughtful play and positioning. Let's not forget those torps and their arcs which are nice. She just plays a bit differently from her peers.

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
16,276 battles

Clumsy for a T6 Cruiser

Slow for a T6 Cruiser

Low ROF for a T6 Cruiser

Only 6 guns

Good dispersion for a BB but bad dispersion for a Cruiser

Well armored for a T6 Cruiser but doesn't help much if you get uptiered which is most of the time. 15" and 16" shells will hammer it pretty hard even if angled perfectly.

That said the guns will put up respectable damage if you can stay alive. The heal is very helpful. The torpedos arcs and torpedos are excellent. If you end up in close quarters against a BB you can usually take him out if you have a decent amount of health.

TLDR:  Great ship hurt by matchmaking and Cruiser issues in general.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear
  • Cool 1