You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Pre Dreadnought Tech Tree

10 comments in this topic

[C_NT]
Members
967 posts
2,482 battles

T1 and T2 are open for the hypothetical introduction of pre dreadnoughts. While they probably won't come for awhile yet until most of the big BB's have been milked, how do you guys think those trees will shake out? Basically the T1 and T2 pre Dreadnought for each country. 

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,168 posts
9,045 battles

The problem when I looked into the ships themselves is the amount of main battery guns at the lower tiers and I wanted to see Connecticut class in game myself as well. Many classes of battleships in usn so much that you could make a second line out of them.

[C_NT]
Members
967 posts
2,482 battles
15 hours ago, landedkiller said:

The problem when I looked into the ships themselves is the amount of main battery guns at the lower tiers and I wanted to see Connecticut class in game myself as well. Many classes of battleships in usn so much that you could make a second line out of them.

I live in CT. That would be the ship I'd want at T2 also. Head ship of the famous fleet that went around the world! The Maine could be a premium I was thinking? 

Edited by Aristotle83

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,168 posts
9,045 battles

@Lert Your more of an expert than I am where do the pre dreads fall from usn Connecticut at Tier3 and Maine at tier 2?

14 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

I live in CT, [edited]. That would be the ship I'd went at T2 also. The Maine could be a premium I was thinking? 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

Well, forget tier 1; it's for learning how to (very basically) maneuver your ship, not run into others, and learn how to fire your guns and lead your targets. Your average player spends 2 to 4 games at tier 1, and cannot wait to get to tier 2 and never, ever looks back.

(There are players who specialize in playing tier 1 ships, I have no idea why because they suck. The ships, not the players.)

Tier 2 pre-dreads has been suggested before by many players, myself included. Be forewarned, there are balance issues, one of the most notable being the way many different types of guns were used. Look at Mikasa, whose secondaries are much better than her primaries.

Which is not to say it couldn't, or shouldn't be done. I think it would be great to have (at least) 1 pre-dreadnaught from each tech tree line at tier 2 like Mikasa, along with some contests and events and challenges exclusively for those ships. Many players like the lower tier play because there are fewer "gimmicks" and a helluva lot fewer airplanes. I think we should have events for them, as well as tier 3 cruisers, etc.

@Lert is a good person when it comes to things naval, and historical, but I would be doing you a dis-service if I didn't mention @Doomlock, a history buff without peer, as well as MANY, MANY other Forum contributors whose knowledge of naval histories rivals certain encyclopedias.

Also, I suggest @SuperNikoPower as the WoW go to guy for a valid opinion on whether this actually has a chance of getting off the drawing board or not. Niko is a great guy and dog lover, easy to communicate with and very helpful; and he likes Corgi's ... how can you go wrong with a guy like that?

Either way you choose to go, please keep posting your progress in the Forum, and good luck to you.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

@Lert is a good person when it comes to things naval, and historical, but I would be doing you a dis-service if I didn't mention @Doomlock, a history buff without peer, as well as MANY, MANY other Forum contributors whose knowledge of naval histories rivals certain encyclopedias.

You do me too much praise Umikami, but thank you.

OP for at least Germany, Schleswig-Holstein has been suggested by @dseehafer and he has provided an excellent reasoning behind it with this post: 

[-RNG-]
Members
3,240 posts
6,608 battles

Think of it like tanks. In WoT the lowest heavy tank you can get is tier 4, and even then it's only a few nation's have a tier 4 heavy, most start at tier 5 (there might be a tier 3 premium or something). A heavy tank is useless unless unless the driver knows how to use their armor effectively, just like a battleship player is useless unless he has at least basic marksman skills. Destroyers, who can start from tier 2, are all about strike. They can still capture, spot, shoot, or torpedo. In low tiers you really only need to do one of the 4. A new player in a bb is far worse than a new player in a DD.

Just like here, wot I set up so players at low tiers just run around and blast stuff. There is almost no need for strategy or planning. The low tier pre dreadnoughts would be a blast to have and play, but from a game play point of view, low tiers wouldn't work out too well. You would have everybody running around going crazy, and here you are in some huge ship, eating torpedoes like they're candy, and if your new, finding it a struggle to land shots combined with a 30 second reload.

Also, what usually does only one tier 1 per nation, so the only room we have to play with is tier 2.

TL;DR - Pre dreadnoughts would be a blast, just not at tier 1&2.

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles
On 1/22/2018 at 11:51 PM, Aristotle83 said:

T1 and T2 are open for the hypothetical introduction of pre dreadnoughts. While they probably won't come for awhile yet until most of the big BB's have been milked, how do you guys think those trees will shake out? Basically the T1 and T2 pre Dreadnought for each country. 

Already looked at in depth country by country. Check out my thread, and vote!

Members
86 posts
9,754 battles

I see this brought up in the EU forum occasionally. The answer is always NO.  They might have to come up with a whole new game for pre dreadnoughts. Could be a lot of fun, especially if they limit the gun ranges to 10 or 12 k, and torp ranges to 3k max (that was considered long range then).  No cv's, no subs, and almost no dd's.