You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kobaltwolf

Why not bring ARP back for a second round?

40 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
822 battles

I know they were around for the release of the Cadenza special but if the High School Fleet is getting a season two then why not make the ARP ships available again? I started after the event for them ended which was the main reason i had started playing so for them to be completely out on availability had me bummed out.

Put in Japanese cruisers since a fair amount are Japanese cruisers.

Edited by kobaltwolf
  • Cool 2

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,962 posts
5,077 battles

The Contract for the ARP ships was only for that one year. WG would have to renew the contract if they wanted to do it again, which while it sounds simple, rarely is because lawyers are usually involved.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,476 posts
16,267 battles

Licensing / contract reasons.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,518 posts
7 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

The Contract for the ARP ships was only for that one year. WG would have to renew the contract if they wanted to do it again, which while it sounds simple, rarely is because lawyers are usually involved.

And yet we still have ARP ships in the game.  Methinks they are now WG property and part of the history of WOWS.  I just had mine out on Sunday.

I see it as legacy.

Since they were awarded FREE, there is no money to be made.  It's just a toggled one and a zero in a database.

I'm surprised they have not been removed...  but since I have them all....  and I can use them all....

Like old crates for old collections...   Make a campaign up for ARP ships.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,962 posts
5,077 battles
6 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

And yet we still have ARP ships in the game.  Methinks they are now WG property and part of the history of WOWS.  I just had mine out on Sunday.

I see it as legacy.

Since they were awarded FREE, there is no money to be made.  It's just a toggled one and a zero in a database.

I'm surprised they have not been removed...  but since I have them all....  and I can use them all....

They're like the Fury in WoT. WG owns the rights to the model and textures, but isn't the trademark holder of the actual product and as such is limited to what they can do with it. The terms of the ARP contract were basically 1 year only, but if you earned them during that time, you kept them, again similar to the Fury since once you bought it, you kept it even during the 2+ year span they never sold it.

Edited by Goose21891

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,026 posts
19,612 battles

Wish I could give you some of mine.  I would keep just the ARP Kongo and ARP Myoko.

I mean it @Pigeon_of_War, if you can give the OP the rest of my ARP collection, in good with that.

Edited by Warped_1

Members
6 posts
822 battles
12 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I see it as legacy.

this is exactly what i was thinking, bring them back for the people that never got the chance but really loves them. make a special campaign or event so that people can grab them again.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,518 posts
24 minutes ago, kobaltwolf said:

this is exactly what i was thinking, bring them back for the people that never got the chance but really loves them. make a special campaign or event so that people can grab them again.

Today, we have a better mechanism for handling all the salt and flame wars. 

Make it a campaign.

That way, they don't show up in your port as a result of normal play.  You need to specifically select the missions.

I haven't heard anyone complain:  "Hey!  This stupid Duke of York showed up in my port!  How do I get rid of this pommy garbage??"

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
155 posts
3,494 battles
52 minutes ago, kobaltwolf said:

It doesn't matter, unfortunately. It's a legal issue, as WG doesn't technically own the intellectual property of ARP. Now that their active contract is expired, nothing further will happen with them. If WG brought them back tomorrow without another contract with the ARP owners, it would be a breech of contract (that WG wouldn't offer the ARP ships anymore after it expired, but those that got them keep them). No sensible company will intentionally open themselves up to a likely international (and thus extra protracted and ugly) lawsuit. Breech of contract lawsuits are a big deal for companies, because even if the actual damages are relatively minor, it's a major PR disaster and shreds trust other companies might have in them.

The ARP ships aren't coming back unless WG contracts with the owners of the franchise again, and given the stink some of the player base raised the first time around, I don't consider that likely. Sorry :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
2 hours ago, kobaltwolf said:

I know they were around for the release of the Cadenza special but if the High School Fleet is getting a season two then why not make the ARP ships available again? I started after the event for them ended which was the main reason i had started playing so for them to be completely out on availability had me bummed out.

Because 90% of the ships are sitting hidden away in players ports unseen and unused? 

Heck, if WG would supply a trading mechanic, I'd be happy to give the entire set to whoever wanted them....:Smile_teethhappy:

[RKLES]
Members
10,998 posts
12,551 battles
2 hours ago, Goose21891 said:

Wargaming is no stranger to renewing contracts since in World Tanks Blitz they have been able to renew several contracts that word onnthe forums was the contracts had run it so the tanks would not return. Well return they did and with additional tanks to accompany the original ones.

There was the tank from Fury movie, Tanks from Girls Und Panzer, Tanks from Valkryia Chronicles. That's 3 totally different companies they would have had to renew contracts  and licensing  with.

So if the demand is there the chances of ARP returning is certainly a possibility I would say since the 3 examples I mentioned were said to likely never return...

Only Tank I  have not seen return yet is the Gundam tank ( I love driving that one so much lol!!!) but Wargaming does seem to like to let things be gone fir at least a year or so before seeing about a return base on their past history with such things.

[RKLES]
Members
10,998 posts
12,551 battles
11 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Because 90% of the ships are sitting hidden away in players ports unseen and unused? 

Heck, if WG would supply a trading mechanic, I'd be happy to give the entire set to whoever wanted them....:Smile_teethhappy:

Well you can put  my name at the top of the list please if you ever get the chance to give away those awesome ARP ships :Smile_Default:

Members
6 posts
822 battles
44 minutes ago, awiggin said:

it could be that way because by now the player that got them are using higher tier ships, or it could be that not enough of them were obtained to see many of them, just today ive seen about 7 or 8 (i always enjoy sinking kirishima lol) so it could just be that no one is there to use them. if there was a trading mechanic heck yeah i would be looking for them because Arpeggio of Blue Steel is my favorite anime ever so i would be using only ARP ships for the game.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
34 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well you can put  my name at the top of the list please if you ever get the chance to give away those awesome ARP ships :Smile_Default:

Well if they ever allow it just remind me. I really don't care for many  IJN ships , and the clones don't interest me at all.:Smile_Default:

[RKLES]
Members
10,998 posts
12,551 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Well if they ever allow it just remind me. I really don't care for many  IJN ships , and the clones don't interest me at all.:Smile_Default:

lol meanwhile my IJN ships are constantly overworked and their ever expanding numbers are always demanding additional trained capatains.

My German ships get used a lot as well though.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

lol meanwhile my IJN ships are constantly overworked and their ever expanding numbers are always demanding additional trained capatains.

My German ships get used a lot as well though.

Personal choice. I'll play others at times, but it's always back to what I enjoy, RU/RN/German, they are by far my most played ships, although the GC is catching up quick.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
4,569 battles
6 hours ago, kobaltwolf said:

Put in Japanese cruisers since a fair amount are Japanese cruisers.

seamits has mods for ARP best that your going to get for now Sea mist | SEA group

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
793 posts
2,038 battles

I do wish I could get the rest of the Myoko sisters and Takao... I wasnt able to get them when the event was running, and I'd really like to have them.

Members
6 posts
822 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 2:18 AM, Avalon304 said:

I do wish I could get the rest of the Myoko sisters and Takao... I wasnt able to get them when the event was running, and I'd really like to have them.

hey at least you got some

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
793 posts
2,038 battles
18 hours ago, kobaltwolf said:

hey at least you got some

Having an incomplete ship collection is actually worse for me... it bugs me to no end. (Funnily enough having incomplete Dunkirk and 2nd anniversary collections also bugs me).

Members
6 posts
822 battles
On 1/26/2018 at 6:31 AM, Avalon304 said:

Having an incomplete ship collection is actually worse for me... it bugs me to no end. (Funnily enough having incomplete Dunkirk and 2nd anniversary collections also bugs me).

i would be bothered a little by having them incompletebut it bugs me more to see them around and not have them

[PLAY]
[PLAY]
Members
100 posts
9,620 battles

It's funny! When they showed up in my port I had no idea how I got them...lol The first time I took one out and heard the teenage girl skipper rattling of warnings in high pitched high pitched Japanese I parked them and left them and tried to sell them....to no avail. They stayed like that for almost a year until a new patch allowed me to use english speaking skippers. Since they are premium ships I figured what the heck, let's see if I can earn some coins with them. I have been pleasantly surprised, as the Kongo, after learning how to use it properly has become one of the best money grinders I have owned so far. However, I don't need all four Kongo class ships...lol I also received the Myoko and one sister ship. I am still learning how to play the Myoko and look forward to playing it, even though my heart lies with the American cruiser line.

Members
6 posts
822 battles
On 1/30/2018 at 4:06 PM, LA_Kid said:

It's funny! When they showed up in my port I had no idea how I got them...lol The first time I took one out and heard the teenage girl skipper rattling of warnings in high pitched high pitched Japanese I parked them and left them and tried to sell them....to no avail. They stayed like that for almost a year until a new patch allowed me to use english speaking skippers. Since they are premium ships I figured what the heck, let's see if I can earn some coins with them. I have been pleasantly surprised, as the Kongo, after learning how to use it properly has become one of the best money grinders I have owned so far. However, I don't need all four Kongo class ships...lol I also received the Myoko and one sister ship. I am still learning how to play the Myoko and look forward to playing it, even though my heart lies with the American cruiser line.

sounds like you got super lucky man! i still wish they would give them a second chance, like i said not everyone had the opportunity. also if it was high pitched i imagine you had ashigara, shes quite excitable and always itching for a battle in the series.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
On 1/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, AVR_Project said:

I see it as legacy.

Having them in game and giving them away are two entirely different things.  Giving them away could entice new players to come and spend money (which is why WG paid for the license in the first place).  The Arpeggio guys would want a slice of that pie.

I've got them all, and would be willing to part with a few of them too.  I pretty much only play my Nachi, Takao, and Kirishima.  I'd probably be happy to give people the rest of them.

Edited by crzyhawk