You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

19 comments in this topic

Members
81 posts
3,429 battles

So after Roma has been out for a few days, a quick survey of her stats (on both sites) shows her at a whopping 55% WR, handily beating out the previous holder of the T8 WR trophy (Alabama), dealing the highest damage in-tier at 69K (10K more damage than Monarch, with her HE spam!), and scoring the highest MBH rate in-tier at a huge 32% (even when adjusted for all-time). She also has the highest K/D ratio of all time, and is tied for highest survivability with Amagi. And this is with the ship only being a few days old - imagine what her stats will be a month from now, once her players know her better. :cap_wander:

Given these rather amazing results, especially the damage and MBH stats (which suggest that complaints of her wonky gunnery and overpens are more psychological than real), it really looks to me that Roma might be the Giulio of her tier - an amalgamation of seemingly lackluster components that create a monster when viewed as a whole. My guess is that the key for both ships is their combination of maneuverability and stealth. GC can out-run and out-fight anything in her tier, and can hide easily from bigger threats. Meanwhile, Roma not only has the ability to hide, but also to choose targets of opportunity pretty much at will with her traverse - a player doesn't have to choose between keeping a proper angle on the BB off their bow and hitting the exposed broadside of a CA that just appeared 90 degrees off to the side. Roma can swing her guns around and fire at a target of opportunity without touching the rudder, something even US BBs struggle to do.

Incidentally, the pastabotes' performance is giving me more reason to think that concealment (and the inflation thereof, such as in the PA DDs) is becoming the new dominant mechanic for the meta - stealth builds (and ships with higher stealth) crush all. Granted, there is historical basis for the notion that first spotted = first dead, but I'm concerned that a single criterion seems to be emerging as the key to victory, to the detriment of other qualities.

• Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,488 posts
29,180 battles

Thinking early adopters for a T8  premium are typically better players.  It will probably dillute over time.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

This ship is in NO WAY overpowered.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Every new ship comes in with high stats, as unicums gravitate towards new challenges and players slowly come around to the tricks to counter them. Comparing Roma’s stats to Cesare’s at this point is an alarmist move at best. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Roma is a good ship, but not OP. Its a very balanced BB, very different from Cesare wich is OP.

And we still have a small sample size abour Roma. 

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
20,488 battles

no, at the beginning only "very devoted" players buy them

this group of players usually have higher skill level

as time progress, more and more "average" players will buy it, and it will eventually bring the stats down

same goes for every tech tree line, for the first ~2 patches after initial release, its T10 ship stat is always vastly superior to other branches, but slowly go down as more people grind up the line

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Yeah agreed.  The Roma seems like a decent ship from what I've seen so far, but I don't feel like it's overpowered.  The only area where this might be having a direct impact on stats is that it's a somewhat more survivable ship than some of its competition provided the player has figured out the basics of T8 battleshipping. It's not going to directly make you a better player, but just being alive because it has relatively forgiving armour unless it's broadside means that less skilled players are going to live longer in most matches and living longer provided you are actually somewhere near the action and doing something somewhat useful is a big part of getting more wins. In this respect it reminds me a lot of how average players seemed to enjoy the German BBs when they first came out and did a lot better in them than the earlier lines.

The Cesare is OP because it doesn't care about its MM and it is a very well rounded ship with no major weaknesses.  By comparison the Roma is a lot tougher, but it's nowhere near as capable of doing damage and especially not when it's bottom tier against other battleships and where it may not be able to safely close the range.

• Cool 1

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles
34 minutes ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

Given these rather amazing results, especially the damage and MBH stats (which suggest that complaints of her wonky gunnery and overpens are more psychological than real

It just means you aim better, particularly at areas that are thick enough to keep the shell inside before it explodes. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,677 battles
38 minutes ago, K538 said:

The Cesare is OP because it doesn't care about its MM and it is a very well rounded ship with no major weaknesses.  By comparison the Roma is a lot tougher, but it's nowhere near as capable of doing damage and especially not when it's bottom tier against other battleships and where it may not be able to safely close the range.

GC is pretty meh in the armor department.  Citadel is hard to hit due to location but you *can* hit it, and she gives up plenty of 33% standard pens.  It sounds like Roma is similar, but the average player at T8-T10 is more capable of punishing her mistakes quickly and thoroughly.

[AAA]
Members
724 posts
35,098 battles

Better players are purchasing it I think. You can see it in the match play I have had with it where I have players who have already been sunk telling me how I need to play the ship. Usually, I have pulled out the win with it even if the overall team I was on has been subpar. The stealth helps you Wreak Havoc on the enemy Cruisers plus I am able to hunt enemy BBs and play cat and mouse till they sink using my stealth and a speed flag. Good Ship Overall. just wish it was like my Kii or Tirpitz and was packing a few torpedos. 

PS: My Win % in my Alabama is 67% through 156 rounds vs my Roma which is only 55% through 20. But my warships destroyed average is better with the Roma. Alabama average damage for me is 85k vs 69.2k from the Roma. 

Edited by Filthy_Pelican

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
1 hour ago, Warped_1 said:

Thinking early adopters for a T8  premium are typically better players.  It will probably dillute over time.

This is usually the case.  In fact it isn't uncommon for a premium to have higher stats that tech tree ships for multiple reasons.

1. Usually only the most dedicated players will spend $56 on a digital ship and this means your typical premium user will actually have quite a bit of experience with the game.  Obviously you will have some true wallet warriors buying there way into tier 8 but I am pretty sure this is the exception not the rule.
  2. Premium ships come fully upgraded where as the tech tree ships will always have a period of time where the are performing sub-optimally as the player slowly upgrades the ship. 

So the reality is, if a premium ship isn't out performing tech tree ships, you know that something is wrong with premium ship.  Also there isn't quite enough sample size to get a good feel of where the ship will end up.  Maybe after 100k battles have been register or perhaps more, then we will start to see what its true baseline is so give it a couple months before it is called OP.

Also I don't really think anyone has said it was a bad ship or was performing poorly.  What I believe was said was that Roma can be exceptionally frustrating due to its wonky dispersion and its tendency to over penetrate.

[COUP]
Members
68 posts
19,688 battles

I do believe you will see those stats dilute downwards.  I have only played 30 or so games with the Roma so far but would consider myself one of the better players.  The good players are still figuring out how to work around her limitations.  Serious ones that most other battleships do not have (like being able to punish cruisers or dd's at close range or that show too much broadside).  

The armor configuration is excellent.  This ship tanks like a boss if you are angled right.  And you will be if you are a good player.  It's concealment is fantastic, so most good players can use this to reposition if a threat appears on the minimap on your flanks.

The AA is another big limitation.  I'm still experimenting with mixed stealth/aa builds with varied results.  Sometimes I'll knock down 20 planes from a t8 carrier, sometimes I'll get nuked by a t6.  

I find the ship very fun to play, but like many have said, the operation of the main guns is very often frustrating.  Overpens for days is one thing.  The dispersion should not have been nerfed from 1.9.  I hope they put this back.  Or shorten the fuse timer.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles
51 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

GC is pretty meh in the armor department.  Citadel is hard to hit due to location but you *can* hit it, and she gives up plenty of 33% standard pens.  It sounds like Roma is similar, but the average player at T8-T10 is more capable of punishing her mistakes quickly and thoroughly.

This is true.  By well balanced, I don't mean good at everything, I mean that it has the tools to deal with its weak armour: relatively good speed and maneuverability, a small size, and decent bow armour for T5.  It does take a lot of normal pens, but it does extremely well for a reason... 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,677 battles
21 minutes ago, K538 said:

This is true.  By well balanced, I don't mean good at everything, I mean that it has the tools to deal with its weak armour: relatively good speed and maneuverability, a small size, and decent bow armour for T5.  It does take a lot of normal pens, but it does extremely well for a reason... 

I can agree with that wholeheartedly.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Something else to keep in mind is that GC uptiers very while, while Roma is pretty hapless in Tier X games.