Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_cthulhu_

Why is Hood T7

200 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles

I got the Hood in a container and have played it a little.

I am wondering why the Hood is a T7

It has less armour than Warspite

It has the same guns

It is faster

It has more HP than Warspite

It is MUCH bigger than Warspite

 

HP can be lowered and you have another T6 ship.

Is there something I am missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,463
[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Yes, a lack of skill to make it work. You gotta learn how each ship works to make it excel man. Everything is different, everything has a different skill ceiling. Play a few dozen games, and she is godlike.

"Insert coin for king and country" 

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,776
[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles
1 minute ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Please keep responses relevant to the thread

His response is relevant, and it’s Tier VII because WG wanted it to be. It’s a hard ship to love, but if you take the time to get accustomed to its strengths then it can perform well. 

  • Cool 6
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[WTFS]
[WTFS]
Members
190 posts
795 battles

Built after Warspite, and before KGV. There is no T6.5, so, 7 it is. Also, if you remove any HP from Hood, she doesn't make a good T6. Removing a ship's HP is never the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
5 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

His response is relevant, and it’s Tier VII because WG wanted it to be. It’s a hard ship to love, but if you take the time to get accustomed to its strengths then it can perform well. 

Where in the OP do I say I can not make it work?

So, skill level with a ship is irrelevant.

Edited by _cthulhu_
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

The tiers and what goes into them is completely made up by WG. There are newer ships at lower tiers than older ships, ships at lower tiers that were historically better than others at higher tiers, sister ships that end up on different tiers (with the newer ones being somehow lower tier)... Basically there is no rhyme or reason, no pattern to it. it is just whatever WG decides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles
13 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Yes, a lack of skill to make it work. You gotta learn how each ship works to make it excel man. Everything is different, everything has a different skill ceiling. Play a few dozen games, and she is godlike.

"Insert coin for king and country" 

Just because Yuro made a video on it doesn;t make it good. I have great stats in her, but still think she's a mediocre ship. Take away her ahistorical AA gimmick and make her a tier 6, where she belongs. It'll never happen, but it's how I would've done it it.


She has a horrific main armament, protection, and secondaries for a T7 BB. All she has is maneuverability going for her which granted is quite good, but that's it, aside from her AA gimmick.

Edited by goldeagle1123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,377 posts
16,938 battles

In some ways it has less armour than Warspite, in some ways not. The armour scheme is more closely paralleled by Gneis' scheme, minus the turtleback. The 51mm deck and thicker sides at the gun deck make Hood very resistant to IFHE 6" HE and 203mm HE (Yorck 210mms still go through the deck, but not sides). 

Also, the guns aren't the same. While 15", the shells have short fuse timers and USN AP bounce angles. This makes them bad for penning battleship belts, but excellent for killing cruisers and ruining BB upper belts and superstructure. Also they have 1.8 sigma vs 2.0 on Warspite.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
4 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

Built after Warspite, and before KGV. There is no T6.5, so, 7 it is. Also, if you remove any HP from Hood, she doesn't make a good T6. Removing a ship's HP is never the answer.

Is that true, adding HP to artificially inflate the tier of a ship, especially at T7 where they see T9 guns may not be the best course for a given ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

She's a solid tier 7 ship. Takes a little getting use to though. I found that shells tend to curve a bit and you have to lead a little differently. Don't know if anybody else has encountered or noticed that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,713
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Tiers in WOWS somewhat follow the actual evolution of the ships involved. The Hood was commissioned in 1920. The USN Colorado was commissioned in 1923. The last ship of the Japanese Nagato class was commissioned in 1921. All are tier VII BBs in WOWS. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
499 posts
7,185 battles

I quite like the Hood, she's quite tanky especially for a T7 with 25mm bow and stern, because of the deck, upper belt, and extended main belts.

Why doe's every every premium ship have to be "strong"?   Honestly I feel she compares favourably to the Colorado, Gneiss and Nagato.

EDIT: I feel the KVG will get some nerfs in the future, probably to the rate of fire.

 

Edited by Veasel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
284 posts
6,218 battles
3 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Where in the OP do I say I can not make it work?

So, skill level with a ship is irrelevant.

So I'm curious, what exactly is your question? In checking your stats, you've only played 9 battles in Co-Op in it. Either way, based on the type of ship it is, that is where it fits best on the tech tree. The devs might decide at a later date to make changes to Hood but for now that's where she is. But the other players are right, play a significant amount of battles to learn the ship's nuances and quirks. If after that, it doesn't fit your style of play then perhaps try a KGV or the Nelson. Good luck!

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 5
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
1 minute ago, Veasel said:

I quite like the Hood, she's quite tanky especially for a T7 with 25mm bow and stern.  

Why doe's every every premium ship have to be "strong"?   Honestly I feel she compares favourably to the Colorado, Gneiss and Nagato.

This isn't an argument about strong or weak really

Just wondering the T7 choice for Hood, the HP pool / speed is the are the only things I really see as a qualifier, but the HP pool is decided by WG.

I wasn't aware of horizontal armour being any more or less resistant to HE fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,377 posts
16,938 battles
Just now, _cthulhu_ said:

This isn't an argument about strong or weak really

Just wondering the T7 choice for Hood, the HP pool / speed is the are the only things I really see as a qualifier, but the HP pool is decided by WG.

I wasn't aware of horizontal armour being any more or less resistant to HE fire.

Have a look in the armour viewer. HE pens are 1/6 the gun size, or 1/4ish with IFHE (or if german). Most T7BBs have a 32" upper belt and deck, which IFHE and 203 HE will pen for damage. Hood and Gneis have enough armour on the side and deck to make this not happen. Both have 25mm bow and stern, but this is a balancing thing all T7s have. Warspite has 25mm upper plating and deck, making her much more vulnerable to HE spam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
2 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

So I'm curious, what exactly is your question? In checking your stats, you've only played 9 battles in Co-Op in it. Either way, based on the type of ship it is, that is where it fits best on the tech tree. The devs might decide at a later date to make changes to Hood but for now that's where she is. But the other players are right, play a significant amount of battles to learn the ship's nuances and quirks. If after that, it doesn't fit your style of play then perhaps try a KGV or the Nelson. Good luck!

It is not a matter of learning a ship my skill level in a ship is irrelevant.

I am not complaining about the ship, I couldn't care less about how strong or weak it is.

  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,168
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

Hood is an adequate/mediocre T7 BB at a tier with some real contenders (Scharnhorst, Nelson etc.).

One of the few 'rules' WG keep imposing on themselves is that HP correlates to displacement. Hood has a big displacement and thus deep HP pool, she has very good for T7 HP and would be a huge outlier at T6. She is also comparable to Warspite but better armored overall, with a not inconsiderable speed advantage. Hood also has 7 of the twin 4in AA guns to Warspite's 4, which are the most important AA guns.

 

Hood will never be good, because her advantage of slightly better results when targeting the upper belt (which other BB can still readily do) is outweighed by the disadvantage of atrocious penetration and poor accuracy which mean she struggles to make the decisive blows she really needs to - when that BB shows nice broadside, or that cruiser really needs to go she will let you down.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
2 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Have a look in the armour viewer. HE pens are 1/6 the gun size, or 1/4ish with IFHE (or if german). Most T7BBs have a 32" upper belt and deck, which IFHE and 203 HE will pen for damage. Hood and Gneis have enough armour on the side and deck to make this not happen. Both have 25mm bow and stern, but this is a balancing thing all T7s have. Warspite has 25mm upper plating and deck, making her much more vulnerable to HE spam.

Is that 32 mm armour value historical or a balancing item that WG uses?

I will take a look, thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

Hood is an adequate/mediocre T7 BB at a tier with some real contenders (Scharnhorst, Nelson etc.).

One of the few 'rules' WG keep imposing on themselves is that HP correlates to displacement. Hood has a big displacement and thus deep HP pool, she has very good for T7 HP and would be a huge outlier at T6. She is also comparable to Warspite but better armored overall, with a not inconsiderable speed advantage. Hood also has 7 of the twin 4in AA guns to Warspite's 4, which are the most important AA guns.

 

Hood will never be good, because her advantage of slightly better results when targeting the upper belt (which other BB can still readily do) is outweighed by the disadvantage of atrocious penetration and poor accuracy which mean she struggles to make the decisive blows she really needs to - when that BB shows nice broadside, or that cruiser really needs to go she will let you down.

That is a pretty good summary that I have observed.

It relies on AA and HP to get the job done.
The displacement correlates to HP factor seems a little silly, but I don't make the game.

You can always work with a large pool of HP as sometimes you can just outlast another boat, but really, I would reckon there is an argument for dropping it a tier.

I was looking to get more info on the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well for one thing Devs probably wanted Hood to face Bismarck occasionally lol

LOL yeah that too ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,912
[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
37 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

I am wondering why the Hood is a T7

It is faster

It has more HP than Warspite

 

I think you answered your own question.  It's faster and has more HP.  Speed and HP is a big deal!

It also has some pretty good self defense AA. 

The combination of AA, speed, and HP...are more than enough to get it from T6 to T7.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,045
Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
18 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Tiers in WOWS somewhat follow the actual evolution of the ships involved. The Hood was commissioned in 1920. The USN Colorado was commissioned in 1923. The last ship of the Japanese Nagato class was commissioned in 1921. All are tier VII BBs in WOWS. 

Yes.  Plus I might add she was "The Mighty Hood".  Poster child for the British navy in the era between WWI and WWII. Can't make The Mighty Hood a mere tier 6 BB or battle cruiser or whatever the heck she was. Nope. Too prestigious a ship. Gotta be at least tier 7. Yup. :Smile_izmena:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×