You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Thanos_Snap_

Is The Izumo Really a Bad Ship?

33 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,045 posts
11,530 battles

bow tank with Izumo... lawl

Sure, it deflects AP shells, but oh boy, does it ever get chewed up by HE.

Oh, and it's actually a really poor idea to try and bow tank with Izumo, because BB AP shells really rip into those 356mm barbettes that sit extremely high = easy to hit

If you ever wondered why Izumo keeps losing turrets, it's because of the height of these 356mm barbettes

VqlJtUv.png

End result

liAoiaQ.jpg

Edited by MrDeaf

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,361 posts
4,571 battles

Yeah those barbettes never made sense to me. You've got A and B turret situated REALLY high off the deck to the point where I'm expecting another turret forward of A. Why do that? There's enough room there vertically that I can see lowering A and B turret by a good turret height, then RAISING C turret and flipping it around so you now have what is essentially a 3x3 16 inch Dunkerque that can fire all of its guns directly forward. Might even be able to shorten the hull since the C turret doesn't really need to be able to turn 360 degrees. Might come out a little more top-heavy overall, but at least now you've got a more sensible arrangement than... This uncomfortable monstrosity.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Just got Izumo yesterday and did ok over my first two or three games I played with her. I plan to play her through to form my own opinion. Don’t want to waste FXP either since I might spend it on Nelson and already have Musashi, so I’m not in  any rush to get that Yamato goodness.

I think people dislike her for these reasons: She’s ugly, awkward (both in handling and looks), stands between them and Yamato (which is tougher, better armed, and really good looking), not as flexible as Amagi, and quite frankly rather ugly. I bet her performance is affect as much by psychology than her actual ability. People don’t like her and hear she’s bad, so they subconsciously defeat themselves when they play her.

Members
29 posts

I don't know about you guys, but I swear that every game I played in the Izumo, my middle turret would get frequently knocked out or outright destroyed. I think it's because of the barbette armor sticking up so far above the deck, but even bow-tanking and trying to show a smaller profile ("Izumo" and "smaller profile"... topkek), your middle turret's barbette armor just gets nailed constantly because of how tall it is, plus it only has 356mm of armor, which is useless against BB AP at the Izumo's matchmaking spread. And considering that her rear turret's firing arc requires you to turn broadside, you are asking to get deleted by the first BB that sees you. Or, you know, ALL THE BBs because your ship is seen from the Andromeda galaxy. It's just so big, clunky, and weird turrets that make you very vulnerable against anything you're not bow-on towards. Top speed is okay, but it won't help you once DDs or CVs start seriously targeting you. The Izumo isn't as sluggish as the F. Der G., but it's a pretty close comparison, plus you don't have the F. Der G.'s firepower, arguably, since German BBs can go broadside with near impunity whereas the Izumo WILL get deleted by BBs if she goes broadside. She has a turtleback, but it's utterly ineffective against your fellow BBs that you run into for the matchmaking spread. You don't go broadside unless you want to back to your port screen faster.

Not that I didn't have a few good games in her, but that grind was the most painful grinding experience in the game... at best. And I suffered through the Shiratsuyu grind to the Akizuki... post-nerf. Yeah, it's that bad.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

I had a surprisingly good run with the Izumo (57% win rate over 131 battles). I used a bunch of free XP to get the final hull and most upgrades, but then ground out the rest. Don’t get me wrong, she’s frail and clumsy compared to other BBs. Her enormous backside and superstructure are super-vulnerable to HE (I mean, worse than any previous IJN BB, or any other nations ships) and she’s got skin him enough for 6” AP to pen over most of her, yet she’s so wide that 16” AP rarely overpens her. But, she’s a great sniper, has good secondaries (meaning "good for when you can’t escape", not "good for closing with the enemy"), and her armor angles well against other BBs. She’s not perfect at bow-tanking, but she can win bow-to-bow fights more often than not. 

I hate her turret arrangement, but even that is workable, at least. Sometimes it’s even a positive: you can sometimes go broadside behind an island and show all three turrets while covering your citadel with rock. 

In contrast, I’m freaking horrible with the Yamato (35% win rate last I checked). My damage is always lower with the Yamato, I tank less potential damage, I survive less, and overall have crap games in the Yamato. Since the Yamato plays much the same as the Izumo (but improved in every way), I think the difference is hat the Yamato is only ever in tier 10 matches, and the tier 10 meta is hard on that style of BB. At tier 10, cruisers never need to come close enough to hit their citadels (and they are less common in that tier anyway), you face fire spam non-stop, torpedoes will hit your fat, sluggish posterior from 15 km out (not because it’s an easy shot, but because there is so much torpedo spam and the Yamato can’t turn out of a spread by the time it’s spotted), nobody screens (since a CA that sits between you and any enemy DDs will get deleted, and the DDs are all hanging much farther back than hey do in lower tiers), your whole team will outrun you and you will get outmaneuvered and sunk (unlike lower tier USN standard BBs, which while slow, are at least wiggly enough to dodge torps an angle their armor), and since you will die instantly if you approach to medium range and absolutely no one in tier 10 spots or screens, those skilled citadel shots you can make in lower tiers just don’t happen reliably. 

I’d probably be happy with Musashi, but tier 10 is just garbage.

[RFF]
Members
11 posts
3,460 battles

Oh man...Izumo.

Contrary to the days of beta etc she isn't a horrible ship per say but she also necessitates a new play style compared to all her predecessors in the line.

Stock: she is absolutely terrible...

Complete: still has flaws but begins to show Yamato esque qualities. She has nice secondaries and a decent AA suite which can turn damn good if fully invested....don't expect a Montana tho.  When I was grinding through it we had a lot more CVs in que so I went AA and enjoyed shredding planes but these days u don't see many Essex or midways since the nerf. 

I'd recommend going concealment to prepare for Yamato and try and hang 5-6km back of your screening line. She is too flammable and squishy to be up front but don't be sniping at max range either. 

• Cool 1

[MWM]
Members
1 post
8,064 battles

Don't know what WG is doing with the RNG on this ship but the grouping is absolute crap the the dispersion/accuracy is even worse. Can't hit or group ships at 5.7 km.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,160 posts
16,525 battles
On 2/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, SCURVYSAM said:

Don't know what WG is doing with the RNG on this ship but the grouping is absolute crap the the dispersion/accuracy is even worse. Can't hit or group ships at 5.7 km.

Izumo has good gunnery.  Even before all her recent buffs, gunnery was not her weakness.