Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Lower-tier fun!

30 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Sometimes it's fun to let the old Fletcher and Iowa sit in port awhile and go back down to one's roots.

shot-18.01.21_13.52.34-0236.jpg

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
9 minutes ago, NashW8 said:

It's just a great boat too.

Like many ships, I just rushed right past the Dugay-T the first time around. I think that was why my stats were so bad when I first started playing -- in my rush to play new ships I was going up the tiers too fast and facing players I shouldn't have been facing at the time. 

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Sometimes it's fun to let the old Fletcher and Iowa sit in port awhile and go back down to one's roots.

There are ships that are better than other ships. Duguay is a good ship. Brilliant am I not?

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

Like many ships, I just rushed right past the Dugay-T the first time around. I think that was why my stats were so bad when I first started playing -- in my rush to play new ships I was going up the tiers too fast and facing players I shouldn't have been facing at the time. 

That happens to a lot of us Snarg. I had myself convinced if I moved up tiers and bought Premiums I would be better. Wrong Tonto. I love dropping down and playing the St. Louis. Just fun.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
14 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

That happens to a lot of us Snarg. I had myself convinced if I moved up tiers and bought Premiums I would be better. Wrong Tonto. I love dropping down and playing the St. Louis. Just fun.

Those low tier fast firing cruisers are IMO the most pure fun to play of anything in the game. Fun.  St Louis is a blast and so is Bogatyr. Lots of very good players drop down to play ships like those. 

[SPTR]
Members
28,224 posts
21,209 battles

I brought out my Vampire for fun and manage to sneek around the borders of the map spotting for my team behind the nearly mindless enemy BBs and assassinated the Langley. The jump into cap smoked up help kill a Friant & Bogatyr then I got jumped on from behind by a Kaiser lol. But we won so all good.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
34 minutes ago, dmckay said:

There are ships that are better than other ships. Duguay is a good ship. Brilliant am I not?

At its tier, the DT is pretty good. Not only does it have decent main-battery firepower to take on destroyers and cruisers, it also can do a pretty good job versus battleships with its torpedoes. It's only real weaknesses are that it's a bit "squishy" and has little in the way of anti-aircraft capabilities.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

At its tier, the DT is pretty good. Not only does it have decent main-battery firepower to take on destroyers and cruisers, it also can do a pretty good job versus battleships with its torpedoes. It's only real weaknesses are that it's a bit "squishy" and has little in the way of anti-aircraft capabilities.

Ya.  All those low tier cruisers are pretty squishy cept for St Louis. She is well armored for her tier. That is why they are low tier cruisers. Gotta be cool when playing them and try to avoid getting hit...but that is part of the fun. At least for me. 

[PVE]
Members
10,596 posts
32,040 battles

Kuma...love the ship but feel like I'm just clubbing when I run it anymore...& it even seems nerfed in comparison to what it once was (actually just the fire proof & armor upgrade buffs that have occurred to all the other ships since I originally ran it makes it feel nerfed...& the new lines of ships w/all their fancy baubles & gadgets) but I still feel like I'm clubbing (or stat padding) when I run the lower tiers. Only do it anymore when there are Missions/Challenges that allow T4 & I need to grind out a few matches real quick to complete them in time.

I can just imagine how OP it used to be when BFT & AFT used to go to 160mm guns (unfortunately before my time) & it affected the Kuma's 140s (oh the glory that must have been...longer range & even faster ROF on the Kuma...so sorry I missed that)...no surprise the change dropped it down to 139mm...no wonder what ship they were targeting for a nerfing (besides the Mogami's 155mm guns...that would have only needed to drop it down to 154mm instead of 139mm) when they made that change.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,052 posts
29,279 battles
18 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

I brought out my Vampire for fun and manage to sneek around the borders of the map spotting for my team behind the nearly mindless enemy BBs and assassinated the Langley. The jump into cap smoked up help kill a Friant & Bogatyr then I got jumped on from behind by a Kaiser lol. But we won so all good.

Vampire's great fun, especially since she's got that 50%+XP permacamo. She teaches you to be very selective with and sure of your torpedoes, and her AA armament can sometimes pull off some surprises. The only downsides to her are that the vast majority (if not all) of the reward-earning tasks this game throws up are out of her tier, and she still can't train/XP-grind any captains except her own and that of the Perth.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
16 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Vampire's a fun 'lil booger to drive, one of the few DDs that I actually do pretty good with. Yubari's lotsa fun too.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

You can find some pretty good players at low tier. I'm getting fairly good at this game and at low-tier I rock. However, there is usually someone better than I am.

Untitled.jpg.ff8976b7e8b19e5a4e1d6e637f009e16.jpg

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Those low tier fast firing cruisers are IMO the most pure fun to play of anything in the game. Fun.  St Louis is a blast and so is Bogatyr. Lots of very good players drop down to play ships like those. 

dm, how you doing man? Liking the Bogatyr. Thanks for the advice brother.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

all t4 cruisers can be extremely strong.    I tested them about a year ago and find all of them to perform well. 

t4ca.png

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

This was a close one. At the end there was only myself and the enemy CV left. He had torpedo bombers still. I was in my base, he in his. I was behind on points.

I barely dodged three sets of torpedoes before I even got to him. Then, as I was attacking him, here came another air strike. I thought he was going to get me then but then I got a lucky torp into him and killed him just as his torpedoes were about to kill me. Once again, my team had a good player too. This time it was our CV player.

Untitled.jpg.078472dac725f644c8e0d43f134b2b02.jpg

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,101 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Have you no decency, sir?

giphy.gif

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
16 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

giphy.gif

I was educated as a biologist, specifically a mammalogist. I know you are referencing "seal clubbing" as it pertains to what in other games is called "noob bashing" but this has gotten me to thinking about harvesting fur from baby seals. Most baby seals are predated upon by polar bears and arctic foxes. Only a few survive to adulthood even when humans are not a part of the picture. If a seal hunter were to take only a regulated number number of seals in a controlled hunt, keeping the fur but leaving the carcasses for the bears and foxes to scavenge, he really wouldn't be disrupting the ecosystem much at all.

That said, back to seal clubbing. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
678 posts
362 battles
19 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

giphy.gif

Where did you get my picture?

Taking my Langley into randoms tonight, sorry in advance to anyone unfortunate to be on my team

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,219 battles

Greetings:  For Mac players, low tier is where they need to be to keep the game from crashing.  T1-T-4 are very underrated and too many player rush through to try Tier 7-10.  Keep playing low ! :-)

Astrosaint

[A-D-F]
Members
1,410 posts
14,418 battles
6 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Doogie Trousers is a good boat indeed.

"Doogie Trouser" Ha! Now I have something else to call Le Baguette Mk. IV. 

1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

giphy.gif

We shall see...

I was educated as a biologist, specifically a mammalogist. I know you are referencing "seal clubbing" as it pertains to what in other games is called "noob bashing" but this has gotten me to thinking about harvesting fur from baby seals. Most baby seals are predated upon by polar bears and arctic foxes. Only a few survive to adulthood even when humans are not a part of the picture. If a seal hunter were to take only a regulated number number of seals in a controlled hunt, keeping the fur but leaving the carcasses for the bears and foxes to scavenge, he really wouldn't be disrupting the ecosystem much at all.

That said, back to seal clubbing. :Smile_teethhappy:

Perhaps; but it doesn't appear to extend to fur bearing critters or the boats they drive!?

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

That's what I've been doing, too.   Musashi leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, so I eschew playing any ship in it's matchmaking bracket.

Instead, I concentrated on having fun in low tier botes!

Chester, Sampson, Albany, etc.   Gotta pad my numbers on the Co-op century club thread, lol!   I still find it odd that so many dislike Chester- I loved that ship and still do.  It's armor is so bad that it actually specializes in overpens- frustrating the hell out of enemies who try to use AP against it.   And it's 6" cannons are just as good at pounding the doo doo out of enemies as any other.  I added significantly to it's kill total yesterday.  Quite often, there were at least three of these ships per match- either lots of newbies are grinding the US line, or more people enjoy it than the forums lead one to believe.

Sampson is just plain hillarious.   I had a 17 torp hit; 98k damage; 3 kill game yesterday when the entire bot team charged the cap I was in.   I survived the match, too!

St Louis' mini me is also fun to play, if a tad sluggish feeling.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles
14 hours ago, centarina said:

all t4 cruisers can be extremely strong.    I tested them about a year ago and find all of them to perform well. 

t4ca.png

What's with those TH%'s MISTER? Get back down there and don't come back until you straighten those numbers out.... poor seals.

Sign in to follow this