Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LemonGem3021668

Someone is ripping models from Warships and selling them for profit

32 comments in this topic

[REKT]
Beta Testers
47 posts
11,863 battles

Hello,

I don't post much on the forums but I felt this is the best place to get the devs attention, so apologies in advance if I put this in the wrong section.. I stumbled upon this person through my random internet browsing who is directly ripping models from WoWs and selling them for 30-40 bucks a pop. Some seem to have slightly modified textures, while others are blatantly obvious that they are warships models.

For example here is the Yamato, its so obvious its a World of Warships model it hurts. They are charging 36 bucks for something that took them 20 minutes to rip from the game, convert and upload. Hopefully WG can do something about this.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/military/japanese-battleship-yamato

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,665 posts
12,559 battles

Well for one, the lack of AA on the turrets of the Yamato of which currently the WOWs Yamato lacks.

For $30+ there had better be some AA mounts on those turrets.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

Just like when complex computer programs are written, the author inserts minor flaw details that makes it unique.

If they are copying the modelling files, WG will be able to tell rather quickly.

OK...   The locations of the spare launch trolleys are not where they should be..  Apparently, they just copied the files without taking any effort to know what they were doing.  The incorrectly placed trollies were copied from the game.  Looks like you are right.

Edited by AVR_Project
looked closer

[WTFB]
Members
278 posts
2,734 battles

Never a bad idea to let people now. They can't have eyes everywhere. If it is theirs hopefully there is some action they can take.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, theft is not.

Members
25 posts
12,819 battles
Edited by Shaun_Hastings

[HEAVY]
Members
287 posts
14,503 battles
2 minutes ago, broats said:

What are they selling? I don’t get it

Capture.thumb.PNG.de02b902a88e0e63f31737fedc34dabc.PNG

• Meh 1

[BROAT]
Members
70 posts
3,430 battles
1 minute ago, Gizuke said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.de02b902a88e0e63f31737fedc34dabc.PNG

So basically a direct copy of the ships renderings?

i am not a computer or tech person so pardon my ignorance.

[HEAVY]
Members
287 posts
14,503 battles
6 minutes ago, broats said:

So basically a direct copy of the ships renderings?

i am not a computer or tech person so pardon my ignorance.

Pretty much that. It's about the copyright law.

No worries bud..

[-BN-]
WoWS Community Contributors
311 posts
14,492 battles

The models even have the exact rust marks, for example, the big rust in the bow of the Iowa.

The one on the web site:

Spoiler

uss-iowa-bb-61-with-f4f-3d-model-low-poly-rigged-max-obj-fbx.thumb.jpg.9c86a9a4b73ba094088b0839814c5317.jpg

And the one I just took in game:

Spoiler

shot-18_01.21_01_50.51-0648.thumb.jpg.b1bcbe0fec4a69b1db507f3f43f215ed.jpg

Edited by Jorge_Beaven

[SYN]
Members
5,947 posts
13,808 battles

Did a quick look and could immediately tell that the Yamato posted here:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/vehicle/military/battleship-textured-obj

...was taken directly from Silent Hunter IV.  The textures and 3D poly are unmistakable if you play it as often as I do.  He did try to touch things up a bit, but it's still very easy to tell.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
11,528 battles
4 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Just like when complex computer programs are written, the author inserts minor flaw details that makes it unique.

If they are copying the modelling files, WG will be able to tell rather quickly.

OK...   The locations of the spare launch trolleys are not where they should be..  Apparently, they just copied the files without taking any effort to know what they were doing.  The incorrectly placed trollies were copied from the game.  Looks like you are right.

Leonardo Da Vinci did that as well, with his invention drawings.

leonardo-da-vincis-tank-invention1.jpg

If you look at the cogs near the wheels, if they were to turn as is, the machine could not move because the wheels would want to go towards the other set.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
grammar
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,707 posts
22,088 battles

I just don't see what advantage there is to buying one of these 'models'.  Not like you could get one and play it in WoWS or anything right?  Or am I wrong here?

And yes, jerk move to rip those off and sell them.  

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

In the early days of CGI, like Babylon 5, it took months to imaginer various space craft, like the Narn cruiser and the Centuri fighters. 

Our home PCs in those days had no hope of rendering them like today.  Still pictures was the best we could muster at that resolution.

I remember running MechWarrior on a 133 Mhz Pentium with ATI graphics.  The motion was rough and very pixelly -- but hey..  it was a 3d game !

Even then, that's a lot of investment in writing computer code.

Members
541 posts
6 hours ago, Jorge_Beaven said:

The models even have the exact rust marks, for example, the big rust in the bow of the Iowa.

The one on the web site:

Hide contents

uss-iowa-bb-61-with-f4f-3d-model-low-poly-rigged-max-obj-fbx.thumb.jpg.9c86a9a4b73ba094088b0839814c5317.jpg

And the one I just took in game:

Hide contents

shot-18_01.21_01_50.51-0648.thumb.jpg.b1bcbe0fec4a69b1db507f3f43f215ed.jpg

The lighting effect he uses is so superior. I can only dream that it looked that realistic in game.

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

My wife and I launched a private label of greeting cards and when I was interviewing manufacturers in Vietnam, I noticed several where creating cards based on designs they'd rip off from small US companies, one for example was a company in the Midwest that makes decorative stamps. I called them to let them know their designs we're being ripped off by an overseas manufacturer so they can file a cease and desist order(rarely stops them but it's all you can do most of the time).  

The only reason I knew who to call was because the manufacturer was so lazy, their lame attempt to remove the watermark still left enough to identify the original artist. Just like in this case where the culprit didn't make the effort to separate his model from Wargaming's. 

Unfortunately if you're a small business like they were, successful legal defense of copyrights often becomes more expensive than if you just let it happen, same with patents. 

This is why as a buyer or producer that needs to purchase art or designs in any form, it is critical to make sure you are working directly with the original artist who owns the copyright and properly contract for licensed use or is able to put your ownership of the copyright in a contract or it can cost a ton of money down the road. 

[-BN-]
WoWS Community Contributors
311 posts
14,492 battles
1 hour ago, MrSparkle said:

The lighting effect he uses is so superior. I can only dream that it looked that realistic in game.

I think it looks way better because of my potato laptop, I have to play almost in minimum settings to play

Sign in to follow this