Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Malarkey_

(facepalm)

12 comments in this topic

[YK]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
360 posts
11,622 battles

these days I cannot seem to hit anything... I've looked over vid, forums...etc, but all the crosshairs seem off to the timer. I guess I am just too stupid to play anymore.

[YK]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
360 posts
11,622 battles
25 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Have you tried using the Dynamic crosshair?

yup. still couldn't seem to hit anything but water. The game makes me want to slit my wrists.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles

Have you tried watching any of iChase's captain's academy videos on aiming?  They were pretty good as I recall.

Members
4,608 posts

Last time this happened it was right after a big update.  Could hit a thing for several days so I took a couple of days off which helped.  Cleared my mind and came back fresh again.

• Cool 1

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

My North Carolina just fires splash shells over 10k, they never do any damage but they make pretty splashes all around the target. 

[-KIA-]
Members
823 posts
12,421 battles

Did you somehow changed your screen resolution? (maybe the aspect ratio?)

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

This is going to sound crazy, but I bought the Yubari of all things as my first premium because I liked the write up of mobile ship with really accurate guns and decent AA. Then I watched a video one of the forumers made on it. He said he runs his Yubari whenever he notices his accuracy waning in other ships. The guns really are so pin-point accurate that it is like being on a practice range with the best gun available. It shows you exactly where you are making your miscalculations when aiming. It's fun too. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,314 battles
28 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

This is going to sound crazy, but I bought the Yubari of all things as my first premium because I liked the write up of mobile ship with really accurate guns and decent AA. Then I watched a video one of the forumers made on it. He said he runs his Yubari whenever he notices his accuracy waning in other ships. The guns really are so pin-point accurate that it is like being on a practice range with the best gun available. It shows you exactly where you are making your miscalculations when aiming. It's fun too. 

First, I LOVE my Yubari, one of my favorite ships. Hats off to you, Yubari Captain @BullpupWOT!

Second, this post is dead on target, just like Yubari guns. The ship is so accurate it will tell you where you need to correct your aiming. And while I'm sure she isn't the only ship you can do this with, here are some suggestions that I took some time to figure out, because I'm not the sharpest bowling ball on the tree.

One reason I think it's easy to correct Yubari gunfire is she carries 2 double turrets; it's easy to track your individual shots. IMHO, single shot DD's would give you the same benefit, especially if they were accurate and have good gun arcs. Both Russian and IJN DD's at lower tiers come to mind, and fire them off one at a time so you can see where the shots are going as opposed to where you want them to.

I did forget to say this will probably work better in co-op, at least the training and figuring it out part; remember what a dull little bowling ball I am.

Another trick is to use the Dynamis Crosshairs like @Crucis suggested above; you can "plot" certain ships within certain areas of the sight. What that means in real game life is I am pretty sure that a BB at full speed at about 10K will fall between the 4th and the 5th indicator marks, a cruiser between the 8th and the 10th, and  DD at full speed around the 12th. (for Russian DD's at full speed I just put the edge of the screen on their nose and fire away). By practicing using single shots and remembering where different ships hit zones are you can tremendously cut down your zeroing in time.

And remember to check HOW their smoke is streaming; it streams differently at different speeds. Learn to watch that for both speed changes and preparations for a dead stop, which is when DD's  and  CL's are vulnerable.

Good Luck!

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles
14 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what are the dynamic crosshairs and how do you put them on?

Go to the crosshairs section in Settings, under Controls, IIRC.  Then you'll see a  bunch of static crosshairs, and a button (?) for the (single) static crosshair.

The static crosshair is calibrated for a speed of 30 knots.  That is, if the cross hair indicates a shell flight time of 5 seconds, you aim the center of the ship right on the crosshair marked 5.  But for ships faster than 30 kts, you have to give more lead and for ships with less than 30 kts speed, you give less speed. 

Also, you have to judge how fast the ship is going, largely based on the smoke coming from its smoke stack.  If the smoke straight up, it's not moving.  On the flip side, if the smoke is just about horizontal, it's moving at its max speed.  You need to have a pretty fair idea of the max speeds of all ships.  It's not as hard as it sounds.  Unless you have a spectacular memory, just have a decent idea of the max speed of some ships at each tier and you won't be too bad off.  High tier  BBs generally do around 28-30 kts, with a few a little bit more.  High tier cruisers generally run somewhere in the 32-35 kt range, except for the French CA's which trend a bit faster, particularly when they're using their speed boost.  High tier DD's have a wider range, from around 34-ish kts for the Akizuki to over  45 kts for the Khab.

You generally learn how much you need to lead with experience.  Also, it helps to learn some general weak points (citadel locations) on most ships.  For BBs with hittable citadels you can aim under the smokestacks, or under the turrets.  For most cruisers, aiming under the smoke stacks is generally best, though some cruisers (such as IJN CA's) seem to be softer in the rear third of the hull than under the smoke stacks, for some reason.  However, when in doubt, aim under the smokestacks, since that's generally where the ship's boilers are. 

And when you're facing ships with strong turtleback armor over their citadels, like all German BBs, it's often better to aim for the top of the hull rather than the water line.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this