You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

Switching ships - average player...

10 comments in this topic

Members
6,888 posts
14,868 battles

Soooo - for the average player - when you switch ship types - like DD to BB or BB to DD, how long does it take you to get back into the groove of the ship?   When I went back to the Bismark after grinding French and US CAs (for Ranked initially and then the N Cape campaign), it seemed like it took me 7-10 matches before I seemed to get 'in the groove'. 

[WTFS]
[WTFS]
Members
190 posts
795 battles

...Come again?

If you're asking what I think you're asking, it really shouldn't take but 1 maybe 2 matches to adjust. But, we're all different, so if it takes you 7-10, it takes you 7-10. I adjust with each match, personally, I don't need a re-breaking in period. Once I've learned, there it is whenever I need it.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
52 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Soooo - for the average player - when you switch ship types - like DD to BB or BB to DD, how long does it take you to get back into the groove of the ship?   When I went back to the Bismark after grinding French and US CAs (for Ranked initially and then the N Cape campaign), it seemed like it took me 7-10 matches before I seemed to get 'in the groove'. 

A lot of it hinges on how familiar you are with the ship you're switching to.  Moving from a battleship that you have 200 games in to a destroyer that you've only played 5 times, it's going to take a while because you don't really know the characteristics of that DD.  Moving between ships that you've invested a lot of playing time into already shouldn't take more than a game or two (far less for some players).

That said, everybody plays to their own level, so as long as you're trying to help your team there's nothing wrong with taking a bit longer to adjust than somebody else.

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,269 battles

I swap back and forth to any and all ships and tiers pretty much by the match, any adjustment is done within the first 3 salvoes I fire, pretty much.

Members
6,888 posts
14,868 battles

I am not worried about it but just wondered about other average players.  Do assume same familiarity between ships...

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
20,488 battles

i'm usually instant switch

game mode though.......usually take me 3 maybe 5 games to switch between random and ranked

[D-PN]
Members
1,696 posts
7,666 battles

About 20 seconds for all the normal ships, 1-3 matches if I'm going from a surface ship to Taiho. But I just grind the IJN ships, so I have them all memorized.

Members
2,428 posts
38,355 battles

Some ships even from different nations have similar muzzle characteristics that make them kinda shoot the same at least as far as lead times go.

So switching between those ships can be easier.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

Unsure of where on the curve of averages I belong but the hop from DD to BB is actually pretty huge change in playstyle. If I only played those 2 classes I'd guess it would take me 3-4 matches max to get back into the groove. But that is highly dependent on the Tier Jump and MM if there is one. 

I guess I'm one of the lucky few though. I identify as a Cruiser Main which depending on the situations I've been in prior matches before a Ship switch I could have mentally played as a DD or a BB depending which ship type I move to. 

I think the only ship that would require 5+ games to readjust to would be the CVs is how they play is completely different than the other ~75% of the ships. But it also would depend on how out of practice a player is with CVs and the RTS style of Micro Battles.