Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Gascogne Work in Progress Preview - The Royal Navy BB HE Meta Continues...

39 comments in this topic

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles

24KM range.  30KM with a plane in the air.  Accurate.  36% base fire chance.  That's the Gascogne for you, and likely a preview of what is to come with the French BB line.  The speed boost is a novelty and IMHO worthless. It gives you maybe a 2 knot boost max.  Very little downsides I can think of for this ship other than it plays like RN BBs, minus the ability to citadel cruisers as well with HE.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles

Purely theorizing here, since I'm still under NDA and all, but that speedboost that you call worthless, if it's anything like the FRCA with speed boost, it's very useful in accelerating out of tight spots, helps with torpedo beats, etc.

• Cool 1

[YK]
Members
2,238 posts
11,324 battles

Totally what we needed rn.

I was just thinking to myself, "We don't have enough HE spam ingame, why don't we have a T8 premium battleship for that?"

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Purely theorizing here, since I'm still under NDA and all, but that speedboost that you call useless, if it's anything like the FRCA with speed boost, it's very useful in accelerating out of tight spots.

Yeah...  understanding the situation you are in, I found that it was not, when I was in said tight spots...  not to the point it helps FRCAs.  Benefit is marginal IMHO.

Edited by NoZoupForYou

[-VT-]
Members
782 posts
10,034 battles

Seeing as the French BBs only get an 8% speed boost, not 20% the French cruisers get, I would definitely call it marginal.

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles
1 minute ago, DemonGod3 said:

Seeing as the French BBs only get an 8% speed boost, not 20% the French cruisers get, I would definitely call it marginal.

It did nothing for me to be honest.

[-VT-]
Members
782 posts
10,034 battles
8 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

It did nothing for me to be honest.

They need to raise the speed boost to 10-12% to  hopefully make it feel useful 

[KRAB]
Members
949 posts
7,418 battles

Does the engine boost affect acceleration? It may have niche uses with tactical grounding, three-point turns and the like. Brawling often hinges on finding ways to outmaneuver an enemy, and quick speed changes can help.

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Does the engine boost affect acceleration? It may have niche uses with tactical grounding, three-point turns and the like. Brawling often hinges on finding ways to outmaneuver an enemy, and quick speed changes can help.

In the situations I was put in, I felt the effects were negligible.   If anything it might give a slight advantage when avoiding torps.  Its really going to need a lot of testing by someone with a lot more time than I have.  Tests need to be done stationary, top speed, turning, backwards, etc....

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,896 battles

I don't quite understand why you think this is purely HE spamming? You got good results, and sometimes T8 in a T10 is a question of doing what you can but unless your other games showed something it's an aggressive conclusion.

The North Carolina has 1 more gun, the same fire chance and a bit more fire damage, it almost never fires HE. Unless the 15in AP just doesn't work (and it's T10) I don't see this one as being particularly HE-spammy?

Your first 8 hits for 4 fires was incredibly good RNG, with a 36% chance firing at T10's it should have been 1 or maybe 2. You had some pretty nice luck.

Gascogne doesn't seem that worthwhile as a big chunk of change premium, and 15in guns at T8 which can't overmatch some high tier cruisers can be a pain but I'd have loved to see that Yamato eat citadels. On paper the French 15in gun isn't bad.

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

I don't quite understand why you think this is purely HE spamming? You got good results, and sometimes T8 in a T10 is a question of doing what you can but unless your other games showed something it's an aggressive conclusion.

The North Carolina has 1 more gun, the same fire chance and a bit more fire damage, it almost never fires HE. Unless the 15in AP just doesn't work (and it's T10) I don't see this one as being particularly HE-spammy?

Your first 8 hits for 4 fires was incredibly good RNG, with a 36% chance firing at T10's it should have been 1 or maybe 2. You had some pretty nice luck.

Gascogne doesn't seem that worthwhile as a big chunk of change premium, and 15in guns at T8 which can't overmatch some high tier cruisers can be a pain but I'd have loved to see that Yamato eat citadels. On paper the French 15in gun isn't bad.

I guess honestly because I feel BBs should traditionally use AP first. RN line upended that though...  I did not have success with the ship's AP in other rounds.  Also, the guns on Gas put her at a disadvantage compared to NC.  NC can bow tank and have 6 guns forward.  Gas loses two of those.  

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Meh...more HE spam....because we need to cater to the skill-less portion of our player base even more 

• Cool 1

Members
4,302 posts
1 minute ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I guess honestly because I feel BBs should traditionally use AP first. RN line upended that though...  I did not have success with the ship's AP in other rounds.  Also, the guns on Gas put her at a disadvantage compared to NC.  NC can bow tank and have 6 guns forward.  Gas loses two of those.  

I don't know if the wiki stats are uptodate/accurate, but on paper it looks fairly similar to Bismarck and Roma for AP. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

@nozoupforyou, we gotta play sometime. 

Members
840 posts
10,855 battles

Sorry but I have to disagree with some points.

When I was watching other videos it didn't seem like it was accurate with its 306m dispersion, it looked worse than British RNG.  And 36% isn't that great of a percent, that's the same as a North Carolina & Alabama...(German BBs are 34%) and you don't see many of those slinging HE.

Edited by Sock5
  • Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
949 posts
7,418 battles

381mm AP is significantly less effective than 406mm - there are quite a few 27mm plates floating around, especially on T8-10 Heavy Cruisers. As your role as a BB is to delete those whenever possible, getting Ricochets significantly reduces your damage potential. 

[BROAT]
Members
70 posts
3,430 battles

Good to see WG is going to continue to urinate on the playerbase and inform them it is precipitating. This is exactly what everyone has been asking for - more HE slinging BBs. Do they not realize they are going to continue to alienate and lose players by doing this?!?!

I say this as someone who has been a patron to WG since WoT first came out, and have spent....I don't even want to think about how much money on their products.

[WPS]
Beta Testers
476 posts
12,001 battles

I feel you didn't rep the ship too well. You shot primarily HE out of previous perception of the RN BBs.... You should have fired more AP, this isnt a great video. I call for a redo... 

the Derpkerk can hold it's own with AP, so I'm taking your video with a grain of salt. 

I'm not disagreeing that the fire meta sucks, because it does, and I hate it, and I hope the direction isn't truly that way. 

[CAPGO]
Members
775 posts
12,369 battles

This isn't HE spamming BB at all.. you were sticking with HE for no reasons! use AP and find other targets than bow tanking BBs from 20km out. 

The loss wasn't your fault but you could have made more influence early on.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
814 posts
7,968 battles

Kinda was worried about this. After the outcry over the RN line, I fear that with this line and the amount of people playing to grind out the ships, May cause enough complaining for Wargaming to nerf HE damage. In turn doing so, can ruin the Conqueror, and it's line since that's really all it has going for it. 

I was personally hoping the French would be more of a mix between the range of say the Yamato, Being a more ranged sniper kind of BB, And amazing secondaries to handle closer threats due to lack of guns at T10. Instead it seems like WG may just copy the RN, up the fire chance and not give them good AA or that Alpha damage.

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles

This wasn't my first and only round in the ship.  I used AP in previous rounds.  The AP... well... it's just not as good as the HE. 

Members
2,066 posts
23,609 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Purely theorizing here, since I'm still under NDA and all, but that speedboost that you call worthless, if it's anything like the FRCA with speed boost, it's very useful in accelerating out of tight spots, helps with torpedo beats, etc.

Cut speed, hard turn, Boost engage W,W,W. Torpedo beats engaged probably in that order LOL.

Members
1,695 posts
8,916 battles
29 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

I don't know if the wiki stats are uptodate/accurate, but on paper it looks fairly similar to Bismarck and Roma for AP. 

It doesn't play that way.  At least not for me.

Members
2,066 posts
23,609 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

24KM range.  30KM with a plane in the air.  Accurate.  36% base fire chance.  That's the Gascogne for you, and likely a preview of what is to come with the French BB line.  The speed boost is a novelty and IMHO worthless. It gives you maybe a 2 knot boost max.  Very little downsides I can think of for this ship other than it plays like RN BBs, minus the ability to citadel cruisers as well with HE.

Writing was kinda on the wall with Dunq's fire chance. 

Sign in to follow this