Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JosephSantora

Concealment/Detection

7 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
11,548 battles

Something I don't understand. I keep a Concealment/Detection table next to my keyboard so I know my relative detectability before the game begins. What I don't get is that I can get detected by an enemy with worse detectability than my ship before I detect him. Might I be missing something?

Thanks

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
23,896 battles

Could be that someone with a detection range better than yours is spotting you for the ship you can see.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
1,273 posts
6,554 battles

Full concealment builds that you aren't accounting for

Ship taking its time to render (most likely, if you hear that quiet "enemy spotted" noise that could best be described as a page flipping in a book but don't see anything it's probably rendering)

You're in a smokescreen and you fire

Your captain is retraining so concealment expert isn't as good 

Edited by warpath_33

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

1.  Ship detection is determined by the server, not your local client (i.e., your PC).  It takes time for that message to get to the respective client PCs because it has to be sent out over the internet.  When two ships are closing on each other with relatively similar detection ranges, the ship with the shorter detection range may not get the update from the server before both ships are in range due to lag or other technical reasons, your PC may be slow in rendering the change, etc..  Such is the life of the online gamer.  It is close to real time, but not actually real time.

2.  Unless your chart takes into account everything the ship may have equipped, all you are looking at are base detection ranges.  For instance, a ship with a base detection range of 10km could have a Captain with Concealment Expert, have lower detection from having camo on, and have the Concealment upgrade mod available at tier 8.  Camo would reduce the detection range by 3%, and the Concealment upgrade would reduce it by 10%.  For Cruiser, the detection range would be reduced by 12% (10% for Destroyers and 14% for Battleships) for a Captain with Concealment Expert.  Thus, if your target were a Cruiser so equipped, it would result in a net detection range of about 7.68km.  If your chart does not take these into account, you would have to be closer to see him than your chart shows.

3.  Being on fire increases your detection range by a couple of kilometers.  If you are in the same ship as your enemy with the same mod, camo, and skill, you would have the same detection range, but if you are on fire and he is not, he will see you first.

• Cool 3

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles
15 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

1.  Ship detection is determined by the server, not your local client (i.e., your PC).  It takes time for that message to get to the respective client PCs because it has to be sent out over the internet.  When two ships are closing on each other with relatively similar detection ranges, the ship with the shorter detection range may not get the update from the server before both ships are in range due to lag or other technical reasons, your PC may be slow in rendering the change, etc..  Such is the life of the online gamer.  It is close to real time, but not actually real time.

2.  Unless your chart takes into account everything the ship may have equipped, all you are looking at are base detection ranges.  For instance, a ship with a base detection range of 10km could have a Captain with Concealment Expert, have lower detection from having camo on, and have the Concealment upgrade mod available at tier 8.  Camo would reduce the detection range by 3%, and the Concealment upgrade would reduce it by 10%.  For Cruiser, the detection range would be reduced by 12% (10% for Destroyers and 14% for Battleships) for a Captain with Concealment Expert.  Thus, if your target were a Cruiser so equipped, it would result in a net detection range of about 7.68km.  If your chart does not take these into account, you would have to be closer to see him than your chart shows.

3.  Being on fire increases your detection range by a couple of kilometers.  If you are in the same ship as your enemy with the same mod, camo, and skill, you would have the same detection range, but if you are on fire and he is not, he will see you first.

Well explained Sotaudi. +1

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
1 hour ago, Sotaudi said:

There's also the possibility of terrain or smoke masking an approaching enemy ship.  Normally this would result in simultaneous detection (assuming your concealment is better than theirs in open water), but when combined with #1 above it can result in some unusual spotting mechanics.  Plus of course if you fire your main guns your detection range blooms to whatever your maximum firing range is (and stays that way for 20 seconds afterward).

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
1 hour ago, Harv72b said:

There's also the possibility of terrain or smoke masking an approaching enemy ship.  Normally this would result in simultaneous detection (assuming your concealment is better than theirs in open water), but when combined with #1 above it can result in some unusual spotting mechanics.  Plus of course if you fire your main guns your detection range blooms to whatever your maximum firing range is (and stays that way for 20 seconds afterward).

I was assuming the OP was talking primarily about open water detection with no line of sight issues, including smoke, and without firing.  However, your points are also correct.

I would just add that there is also an Acquisition upgrade at higher tiers that will change the Assured Acquisition Range (automatic spotting regardless of all other factors) from the standard 2km to 3km.  If someone is in smoke or behind an island and did not have this mod, someone with it would see them 1km sooner rather than simultaneously.

Sign in to follow this