You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Quincy71_GWP

AFK in Ranked

11 comments in this topic

[TF-62]
Members
177 posts
41,143 battles

There is a rather large number of AFK ships in ranked. And that is extremely concerning in competitive play. Ranked is a frustration all it's own for lot's of reasons. The high rate of AFK ships takes this frustration off the charts. Why can't something be done other than the karma report?

I suggest having a separate manual green up button on the team page with a short time limit to respond. If no response, either reshuffle the team or draw a ship from the queue. I fully understand issues of different ISPs. But there are simple solutions that are necessary. One cannot get ahead in ranked with so many AFK players. 1 ship is a loss of 15% of your team.

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
Members
1,696 posts
7,666 battles

uh...

Where? I haven't seen this AFK plague that people always refer to.

[KSF]
Privateers
367 posts
14,425 battles

Same,  I'll see an occasional one,  but it's far from a pandemic. 

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles
26 minutes ago, Gunslinger_97 said:

There is a rather large number of AFK ships in ranked. And that is extremely concerning in competitive play. Ranked is a frustration all it's own for lot's of reasons. The high rate of AFK ships takes this frustration off the charts. Why can't something be done other than the karma report?

I suggest having a separate manual green up button on the team page with a short time limit to respond. If no response, either reshuffle the team or draw a ship from the queue. I fully understand issues of different ISPs. But there are simple solutions that are necessary. One cannot get ahead in ranked with so many AFK players. 1 ship is a loss of 15% of your team.

The problem is that there are a lot of people who, if they didn't like the team comp for one reason or another, would simply abuse the system so that they could end up on a more favorable team.  I can easily imagine some people who hate CVs using what you suggest as a way to bail out of having to play any ranked battle with a CV present.  Or perhaps they ended up on a team with a weak player they know by name.  They might bail on that team too.

The only way to do it to prevent this might be for you to have to press an "I'm here" button BEFORE the team comp is displayed or possibly even just before MM forms the teams.

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

I've only seen a few AFKs in ranked and all have gotten back in the game and apologized. One guy it happened to about a 6-7 minutes in and he was able to recover. I got dropped once this last weekend when we lost power for a moment during a storm and my net blipped.

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,291 battles

I haven't played that many ranked this season, but the only AFK I had in ranked, the AFK guy won it for us.

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, megadeux said:

uh...

Where? I haven't seen this AFK plague that people always refer to.

It seems to get worse as the server load reaches certain points, at least in my experience.

[BS]
[BS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
6,530 battles

I have noticed an increase in slow loaders, and people claiming to have been logged out, or their client crashed. I only played 2 ranked battles yesterday (and lost both) because of the problem. I would have probably taken the time to report them, if I hadn't actually experienced some of these issues myself. A lot of the times these players eventually make it into the match, but in a Ranked environment that could still be too-little, too-late.

Members
126 posts
11,557 battles

Well I'm like the OP and have notice a lot of AFK players in rank this season.... At first I thought it was just retarded players who for whatever reason would load into the match queue, then go take a 30 min nap, poop, go to store, have relations with their sheep, anything besides playing the match.

But since the update the came out today, I now believe it's mostly players who are crashing out of the game . Before today I'd crashed out of a rank match 1-2 times this season, but was able to load right back in. First time I loaded back and ended up having a pretty good game and was like 2nd on our leader board. 2nd time, not so much loaded back in and just as I got in I went boom and we lost match eventually....

After this patch that came out today (or at least I loaded first time I signed on today) I play a few match after the update this morning, but when I went to play this evening, First 2 times, I loaded game, selected rank, loaded into match and within 30 seconds after it started computed locked up both times. Since then I can even get game to load. As soon it starts to load from the luancher, computer locks up ..... So I'm think its more a update issue that is causing the above avg numbers of AFK players this season..