You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Roma=Clevelands worst enemy?

25 comments in this topic

[THREE] HorrorRoach 27
278 posts
3,352 battles

While I was playing last night, I couldn't help but notice the Roma's deleting Clevelands... Is it due to the shell mechanics and Cleveland being a little wider then the usual cruiser? 

EJ

466 posts
467 battles
1 minute ago, HorrorRoach said:

While I was playing last night, I couldn't help but notice the Roma's deleting Clevelands... Is it due to the shell mechanics and Cleveland being a little wider then the usual cruiser? 

EJ

Most likely the Roma kept getting lucky and hitting the bacon strip of armor. The Roma's guns tend to overpen cruisers closer than 13km.

[SYN] IronWolfV 6,775
Beta Testers
30,468 posts
3,915 battles

More players I'd say. That and IIRC 15 inch guns can overmatch the Cleveland. I think. I'd have to double check.

But Roma is one SNEAKY BB. I haven't played mine yet but I saw the stats. She has cruiser level detection. Meaning she can bushwack almost any cruiser she wants.

[LUCK] hofmannsc 109
429 posts
14,973 battles

Let's revisit this after the USN line split.

466 posts
467 battles
5 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

More players I'd say. That and IIRC 15 inch guns can overmatch the Cleveland. I think. I'd have to double check.

But Roma is one SNEAKY BB. I haven't played mine yet but I saw the stats. She has cruiser level detection. Meaning she can bushwack almost any cruiser she wants.

The only issue with close in bushwhacks is the low angles and high pen give nothing but overpens unless you open up some distance or dunk the shells a bit.

[HINON] Doomlock 2,416
In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,174 posts
3,405 battles
10 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Cleveland can be overmatched by the 11" guns of Graf Spee and Scharnhorst. Roma is just overkill. :Smile-_tongue:

[SYN] IronWolfV 6,775
Beta Testers
30,468 posts
3,915 battles
5 minutes ago, RealNewDeal said:

The only issue with close in bushwhacks is the low angles and high pen give nothing but overpens unless you open up some distance or dunk the shells a bit.

Not an issue with Roma Vs Cleveland. Overmatch her bow and drop her shells right into the citadel. Or just aim at the waterline at the back 1/3 if broadside. Watch Cleveland go boom.

466 posts
467 battles
1 minute ago, IronWolfV said:

Not an issue with Roma Vs Cleveland. Overmatch her bow and drop her shells right into the citadel. Or just aim at the waterline at the back 1/3 if broadside. Watch Cleveland go boom.

Well I'll know for sure today, as I'm purchasing her later today.

[SYN] IronWolfV 6,775
Beta Testers
30,468 posts
3,915 battles
10 minutes ago, RealNewDeal said:

Well I'll know for sure today, as I'm purchasing her later today.

I have mine. Just haven't patched yet.

[BBICT] Sir_Davos_Seaworth 650
2,519 posts
2,571 battles

All I know is that I got dang lucky while in my Martel yesterday.... a Roma came out of a smoke screen about 10km from my juicy broadside, and my first thought was "game over" He hit me just a touch forward, but all he did was overpen me... "whew." RNJesus was with me, but the Cleveland just might have been unlucky... 

[SYN-] xDiaboliquex 58
155 posts
64 battles

Seems we're hearing a lot about her o'erpens on cruisers. I'm wondering if due to that, within say 10km, it might be a good idea to switch to HE for those cruisers. Overpens are like nothing, the HE would at least give steadier damage. Between dispersion and overpens, those guns are looking less and less attractive, and certainly not worth 56+ dollars.

466 posts
467 battles
28 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

Seems we're hearing a lot about her o'erpens on cruisers. I'm wondering if due to that, within say 10km, it might be a good idea to switch to HE for those cruisers. Overpens are like nothing, the HE would at least give steadier damage. Between dispersion and overpens, those guns are looking less and less attractive, and certainly not worth 56+ dollars.

The HE is Tirpitz bad. Don't discount the ship, it has a lot of pros that outweight the cons.

[F1RE] Stampz 234
815 posts
5,894 battles

Cleveland wasn't behind an island??

[PSV] madmikey77 50
411 posts
10,297 battles

I had a triple cit dev strike on a Cleveland in the only Roma game I played last night. I think it's the concealment range of the Roma. When you pop on a broadside Cleveland at under 12K there's not much the Cleveland can do.

[GWG] Filthy_Pelican 56
222 posts
14,744 battles

I wrecked every cruiser I engaged with it last night. None of them stood a chance especially if I caught them on a broadside. 

[PSV] Pentalope 0
1 post
6,157 battles
40 minutes ago, madmikey77 said:

I had a triple cit dev strike on a Cleveland in the only Roma game I played last night. I think it's the concealment range of the Roma. When you pop on a broadside Cleveland at under 12K there's not much the Cleveland can do.

Not to mention the double cit on the NO on the very next salvo. Lel. 

Edited by Pentalope

In AlfaTesters
4,077 posts
3,911 battles

I deleted a Kutuzov with a lucky hit in the rear...so...hey!

220 posts
3,159 battles

Would you say that when Roma wears her chef hat camo, she eats enemy cruisers for breakfast... and right now she's very hungry? image.png

[APOC-] Show_Me_Your_Cits 786
2,480 posts
6,464 battles
3 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

Roma sees Cleveland? I thought it only saw Yamatos, Midways, and Montana. 

T8 best tier. (3/3 games bottom tier in Roma last night. Fun and engaging) 

[BBICT] Sir_Davos_Seaworth 650
2,519 posts
2,571 battles
31 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I deleted a Kutuzov with a lucky hit in the rear...so...hey!

Lewd!!!! :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

In AlfaTesters
4,077 posts
3,911 battles
16 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Would you say that when Roma wears her chef hat camo, she eats enemy cruisers for breakfast... and right now she's very hungry? image.png

You're the favorite mod now. 

[PSV] madmikey77 50
411 posts
10,297 battles
50 minutes ago, Pentalope said:

Not to mention the double cit on the NO on the very next salvo. Lel. 

Lol. Actually it was the double on the York first, double on the NO, double on the Alabama, then the triple on the Cleveland. I should retire the ship because I won't get another match like that.

[4HIM] Morpheous 147
747 posts
7,350 battles

I saw only one T8/7 match, and did well, in the up tier matches, 35k dmg and just tried to stay alive, because once you fire, everyone shoots at you.  A couple of issues I have with Roma, and should be addressed, with limited game play mind you.  1) Dispersion needs to be tightened up, I feel like I am shooting a tier 4 BB, yeah  you might be a CA killer, but I have bracketed far too many CAs vs landing solid hits.  And having a longer spotter does not compensate for this one bit, if you can't hit anything at spotter plane ranges.   2)  Secondary guns need an upgrade.  The Italian 152 fired TWICE as fast as the German 150 Bismark secondaries and fired FURTHER.  Not advocating German secondaries here, but at least 7k range. or their t9s and 10s BBs will look very silly. (plus it gives a reason to maybe make a secondary build, right now there is no reason  3)  AA should be upgraded a bit with some range.  The Roma 90mm AA was equal to or BETTER than the German 88', it was one of the very few good guns the Italians had for anti tank or AA, and the Germans used everyone of them they could get their hands on.    Roma feels like a poor twin of the Monarch in general firepower.  PLUS side and find good.  Torpedo belt mirrors some historical data and is justified.  Speed and Maneuver are good.   Concealment, well if that what the Italians get thats fine, but it has its limitations, once spotted, its game on.  I did find the armor pretty good, so no complaints there.  Historically this ship should beat the pants off a , KGV, Nagato, and good chance to beat Bismark, North Carolina, roughly all her class.  From data I have read she was a very fine ship in all regards, and probably give an Iowa and a Yamato a run in a historical duel.   NOTE:  Roma sunk by one of the first radio guided bombs, very devastating even back then.

I have waited a long time for the Roma class, as you can see by my avatar.  I am not upset, its a good ship, but should have some upgrades mentioned.  I read LWM review and its overall fairly negative, but comes up with gud boat rating, and I agree its gud if its not up tiered AND its in the hands of a VERY capable player.  This is not a ship for average to below average players.  And as a CA killer, you better hope the dispersion is in your favor.....

[PLPTE] Psicopro 183
831 posts
3,702 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Would you say that when Roma wears her chef hat camo, she eats enemy cruisers for breakfast... and right now she's very hungry? 

PjszISc.gif

• Cool 1

220 posts
3,159 battles
2 hours ago, Psicopro said:

PjszISc.gif

YES! Somebody got it! Way to Psicopro... or should I call you Sully? LOL Just trying to have some fun and keep it light on a Friday.

3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

You're the favorite mod now. 

Thanks Venture. I like giving everyone a little chuckle but I really appreciate the comments and feedback about the Roma's camo.