Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Have any of you created a comprehensive keyboard guide?

46 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles

I'm really deficient in searching in Wiki and these forums...not sure if I'm using the wrong key words or what.

Has anyone made a guide to the keyboard?  I'm watching these j-turns being performed as an avoidance maneuver nearly every battle and have been unable to duplicate the move using WASD. 

I thought I read about or heard a youtuber talk about different keys being used for that but I can't remember where. 

I found the B brings the radial dial...that's about it. Thanks ahead of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MIA] pck3 71
689 posts
3,419 battles

Never heard of any changes that are better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,495 posts
4,890 battles

Nothing special with turning.  Rudder shift upgrades help dependent on the ship but if you go to full reverse while turning then the turn tightens up a good bit.  With larger ships like the Bismark you have to be careful as it will slow down a lot. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

Nothing special with turning.  Rudder shift upgrades help dependent on the ship but if you go to full reverse while turning then the turn tightens up a good bit.  With larger ships like the Bismark you have to be careful as it will slow down a lot. 

Okay...I'm jamming rudder and going full reverse.  I'm just not getting that drastic result. I'm trying it in cruisers. I see other cruisers pulling it off. I thought there was a shortcut key or something. Thanks

i feel nice and stupid for the thread now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PVE] Kizarvexis 449
3,053 posts
4,687 battles
45 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I'm really deficient in searching in Wiki and these forums...not sure if I'm using the wrong key words or what.

Has anyone made a guide to the keyboard?  I'm watching these j-turns being performed as an avoidance maneuver nearly every battle and have been unable to duplicate the move using WASD. 

I thought I read about or heard a youtuber talk about different keys being used for that but I can't remember where. 

I found the B brings the radial dial...that's about it. Thanks ahead of time. 

 

16 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Okay...I'm jamming rudder and going full reverse.  I'm just not getting that drastic result. I'm trying it in cruisers. I see other cruisers pulling it off. I thought there was a shortcut key or something. Thanks

i feel nice and stupid for the thread now. 

 

Yeah, trolls get bored under the bridge. :Smile_facepalm: I don't believe that there is a comprehensive keyboard mapping besides pushing tab in battle to bring up the hotkeys list. As you go up the lines, you will see that R is always the DC consumable, but T, Y, U sometimes change what they control. It appears WG heard the complaints and made some order to what shows up for consumable controls from left to right (it used to be random), but heal is not always assigned to U. Sometimes, if you have few other consumables, heal can be Y or T as well I believe. Hopefully some day WG will assign consumables to specific keys and life will be rosy and sweet again. Until we bring up the next complaint. :Smile_teethhappy:

 

Sometimes the player base as a whole can seem whiny, because everyone wants something slightly different. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,690 posts
4,774 battles

Problem is that WOWs ships functions do not follow ONE template. As an example the keys to the right of the "R" (repair) do not always mean the same thing for each and everyship but to some only. 

KIZARVEXIS nailed the problem description as you can see. 

As for J-Turns - I use a Logitech keyboard and it has a macro key to double tap Q or E to make a extreme turn. Depending on situation after hitting that I hit S to slow down which decreases the turn radius even more.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
1 hour ago, dionkraft said:

Problem is that WOWs ships functions do not follow ONE template. As an example the keys to the right of the "R" (repair) do not always mean the same thing for each and everyship but to some only. 

KIZARVEXIS nailed the problem description as you can see. 

As for J-Turns - I use a Logitech keyboard and it has a macro key to double tap Q or E to make a extreme turn. Depending on situation after hitting that I hit S to slow down which decreases the turn radius even more.

Okay...so I should test out double tapping the Q or E keys at the beginning of a co-op mission to see if that affects the ship?  Sorry for being a bit dense. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PVE] Kizarvexis 449
3,053 posts
4,687 battles
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Okay...so I should test out double tapping the Q or E keys at the beginning of a co-op mission to see if that affects the ship?  Sorry for being a bit dense. 

 

Not your fault the wiki is weak.

 

Q puts the rudder over to half port on one press and to full port on two. The icon will move over and you can setup WASD and Q before any battle starts. E puts it over to Starboard the same way. If you tap either A or D, it will reset the rudder back to center. Using Q & E puts the rudder one spot to which ever direction you push. Be careful as once you use Q & E, unless you change them as above, you will stay at that rudder setting. Bismarck got a stuck Q key from the Swordfish.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] MajorEnglush 47
116 posts
1,084 battles

Wait -- the Q and E keys do stuff?

 

:cap_cool:

 

I know you can map your own keys in settings, but I can't figure out how to put torps on my extra mouse keys (I have two I can click with my thumb, and would like to use them for that, but can't get it to work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

Not your fault the wiki is weak.

 

Q puts the rudder over to half port on one press and to full port on two. The icon will move over and you can setup WASD and Q before any battle starts. E puts it over to Starboard the same way. If you tap either A or D, it will reset the rudder back to center. Using Q & E puts the rudder one spot to which ever direction you push. Be careful as once you use Q & E, unless you change them as above, you will stay at that rudder setting. Bismarck got a stuck Q key from the Swordfish.

So I surmise it's just better to learn the dexterity of holding my rudder with A or D and getting from forward to reverse and back again with skill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[90TH] Seadog_Supreme 208
1,211 posts

234 battles....right over the 200 mark. Yep, welcome to the general population. You have been in the newbie group of players and probably didn't know it.  Don't give up, LOL! Q and E are your hard rudder controls. A double tap gives you maximum turn. In addition, there's an upgrade which you can add that makes your rudder respond faster.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PVE] Kizarvexis 449
3,053 posts
4,687 battles
16 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

So I surmise it's just better to learn the dexterity of holding my rudder with A or D and getting from forward to reverse and back again with skill?

 

For most things yes. Ships generally do not really need Q or E unless you want to endlessly turn for some reason. Sometimes I find it fine on BBs and CVs when I want to do an 180 degree turn, but usually just use WASD. I will setup Q or E before a battle starts for the direction that I want to go and then when you are headed there on the minimap, just tap A or D to stop the turn. With slow turning ships, you might have to tap a bit early to have your ship on the heading you want, but it only takes a bit of practice.

 

11 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

234 battles....right over the 200 mark. Yep, welcome to the general population. You have been in the newbie group of players and probably didn't know it.  Don't give up, LOL! Q and E are your hard rudder controls. A double tap gives you maximum turn. In addition, there's an upgrade which you can add that makes your rudder respond faster.

 

There is a high tier module that increases your rudder shift, but I doesn't come into effect until Tier 6+.

 

Except for the Beta Tester Arkansas Beta (Wyoming clone) that gets all the module access, but has no AA at all.

 

Edited by Kizarvexis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
16 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Help Screens

List of Mouse and Keyboard Commands

 

Help screens also includes Default Settings for all programmable commands.  Enjoy.

 

May I recommend the New Players Guide forum for many helpful threads.

Exactly what I was looking for...t/y

thanks to all the other good stuff too everyone...keep it coming if you feel like it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quaffer 3,268
Alpha Tester
5,453 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

For most things yes. Ships generally do not really need Q or E unless you want to endlessly turn for some reason. Sometimes I find it fine on BBs and CVs when I want to do an 180 degree turn, but usually just use WASD. I will setup Q or E before a battle starts for the direction that I want to go and then when you are headed there on the minimap, just tap A or D to stop the turn. With slow turning ships, you might have to tap a bit early to have your ship on the heading you want, but it only takes a bit of practice.

Well not exactly. The Q and E keys provide an instantaneous, unrealistic, response. A double tap of Q or E puts the rudder at its maximum deflection right now!

Using A and D will move the rudder left or right in an increasing angle until you hit the stop.

For a panic turn do a double tap of Q or E and then a quick tap of A or D to return. For a fast return from double Q just double tap E.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
5 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Well not exactly. The Q and E keys provide an instantaneous, unrealistic, response. A double tap of Q or E puts the rudder at its maximum deflection right now!

Using A and D will move the rudder left or right in an increasing angle until you hit the stop.

For a panic turn do a double tap of Q or E and then a quick tap of A or D to return. For a fast return from double Q just double tap E.

This move could be used to deliver both port and starboard torpedo payload as well...assuming one gets good at the maneuver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-K-] Edgecase 863
2,317 posts
10,349 battles
20 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

The Q and E keys provide an instantaneous, unrealistic, response. A double tap of Q or E puts the rudder at its maximum deflection right now!

Absolutely not true.

A/Q and D/E both just move the rudder. Q and E do it using "cruise control" style clicks, while A and D push it left or right of its current position. You can see the actual rudder position moving on the bottom of your screen during any maneuver.

Edit: Here's a picture of the rudder indicator from someone who just tapped Q twice.

8TFg6CD.png

The "cruise control" setpoint is all the way on the left, but you can see the actual position of the rudder (the arrow on the bottom) is still making its way over there. It would be moving over just as fast if you were holding A instead; rudder shift speed is a property of the ship.

Edited by Edgecase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skpstr 1,630
13,504 posts
4,397 battles
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

Wait -- the Q and E keys do stuff?

 

:cap_cool:

 

I know you can map your own keys in settings, but I can't figure out how to put torps on my extra mouse keys (I have two I can click with my thumb, and would like to use them for that, but can't get it to work).

Don't think you can, unless you can program the mouse with a macro to hit "2" then "LMB" when you click the thumb key.

Issue is only one fire key.

Other alternative might be, if there is a "next/previous weapon" key, and you only use shift for zooming in, (ie. only in or out) you could map it to your mousewheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quaffer 3,268
Alpha Tester
5,453 posts

In general you should avoid trying to reprogram anything dealing with left, right, and middle mouse buttons; and anything on the [shift], [alt], and [crtl] keys. They are used in so many combinations that weird things happen when you mess with them.

You may be able to assign the torpedo spread selection key [3] to one of your extra mouse buttons someday. As of now I don't think the settings selection will recognize it. You can probably redefine the extra buttons to provide a keystroke that is used in the game. Some mice will do that but you may need to setup the WoWS executable reference in the mouse setup application.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PVE] Kizarvexis 449
3,053 posts
4,687 battles
1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

Well not exactly. The Q and E keys provide an instantaneous, unrealistic, response. A double tap of Q or E puts the rudder at its maximum deflection right now!

Using A and D will move the rudder left or right in an increasing angle until you hit the stop.

For a panic turn do a double tap of Q or E and then a quick tap of A or D to return. For a fast return from double Q just double tap E.

 

1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Absolutely not true.

A/Q and D/E both just move the rudder. Q and E do it using "cruise control" style clicks, while A and D push it left or right of its current position. You can see the actual rudder position moving on the bottom of your screen during any maneuver.

Edit: Here's a picture of the rudder indicator from someone who just tapped Q twice.

8TFg6CD.png

The "cruise control" setpoint is all the way on the left, but you can see the actual position of the rudder (the arrow on the bottom) is still making its way over there. It would be moving over just as fast if you were holding A instead; rudder shift speed is a property of the ship.

 

Yep, that is what I have observed Edgecase. Q & E just move the rudder to half or full at the regular rudder speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GTA] bigsnit 5
29 posts
2,889 battles

What about your "camera view" and "free look" commands?  Slightly off the original topic but still in the realm of keyboard/mouse settings.

Let me explain: I usually start out in full view, of course, and use the right mouse button (free look) to look around me whilst not affecting my guns or my sailing directions. Then, when I get ready to shoot, I switch to camera or binocular view (shift key) and stay in that much of the time whilst in action, sailing by the minimap and using the free look from time to time to check my alignment, make sure I'm clearing landmasses, not ramming teammates, etc.

However, when I watch the unicum videos (Notser, Flamu, etc.), it looks to me like they are doing almost the opposite--sailing in full view mode and only hitting the camera/binocular view when they are ready to shoot, coming out of it right away into full view again. How are they doing this? Are they just toggling the shift key or is there some other setup that they are using? What is everyone else doing? It does make sense to sail in full view mode most of the time; it's just that toggling the shift key on and off all the time is awkward, especially when there is so much going on and so many other keys that need attention (direction, ammo choice, etc).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
812 posts
7,518 battles

I’ve bound “x” change target and “p” toggle AA/secondary to my mouse “thumb” buttons on my razer death adder. 

Try it out if you have a mouse with extra buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BNKR] BullpupWOT 57
470 posts
910 battles
4 minutes ago, Six_Four said:

I’ve bound “x” change target and “p” toggle AA/secondary to my mouse “thumb” buttons on my razer death adder. 

Try it out if you have a mouse with extra buttons.

What Situations would you toggle AA/secondaries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
812 posts
7,518 battles

Any AA build DD, kidd, grozovoi, aikizuki, c hull benson.

your AA range (7.2km) is much greater than air detection range (~3.5km).

Useful for “ambushing” planes with DFAA or simply staying undetected when needed.

edit: fun fact, in earlier versions of the game secondary battery cause friendly damage, requiring frequent toggling when teammates were in the way.

Edited by Six_Four

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OPEC] delp5117 176
749 posts
4,159 battles
7 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

What Situations would you toggle AA/secondaries? 

When you have the captain skill for manual control of secondaries or manual control of AA.  You actually have to select a specific target to fire those weapons (with Crtl/Left Mouse Click) if you have either of those skills, but your dispersion is drastically reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×