You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

Why people love Roma so much?

83 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles

Littorio class have almost zero combat acheivements.

And Roma was sunk after zero combat mission trying to flee

all it took to sink it to the bottom of ocean was two german air-dropped bomb.

Why people still give so much love for this ship?

is it simply because it was thought to be the most beautiful battleship in WW II era? (which I agree)

Edited by 0806sung
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 6

Alpha Tester
3,482 posts
1,522 battles

This is easy.  

It looks good and in game per the reviews plays good. 

End of the day even though this game has alot of historical significance, it is just a game and people want to do well in it.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,998 posts
4,848 battles
6 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

is it simply because it was thought to be the most beautiful battleship in WW II era? (which I agree)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Funny 4

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,636 battles

Historical combat performance is not a requirement for people to like a ship. In the case of Roma, she's a very goodlooking ship that plays well, and the first T8 premium for an interesting nation. The Littorio class also has interesting design features on a technical level.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[-AGW-]
Members
725 posts
10,512 battles

There is also something about realizing the potential of a ship design even if it is in a game. Lets face it, most of the ships we play here found an early and pretty inglorious demise. This way we can explore just a bit of what could have been. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,400 posts
10,684 battles
8 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

You could make the same argument for Battleships in general. However in game they are a blast.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,724 posts
4,278 battles

Roma was not sunk by air dropped bombs, it was a Fritz X radio guided bomb that penetrated her B turret magazine and detonated it.

Her sister survived a similar bomb, Roma was just unlucky in the hit.

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles
8 minutes ago, paradat said:

You could make the same argument for Battleships in general. However in game they are a blast.

I just find ironic because battleships cost money, tremendous of money to build.

Roma must have been great dedication for Italy to build it but why?

Who came up with the bigger is better idea? so Italy believed that building these giant ships truely win the wars for them?

Probably it was just the idea that they should build such ship to compete with French ships...in SIZE....!

All that resource for.. brag fight!! Roma is loved because it looked beautiful..?

Aren't they a weapon system, a military asset after all? THAT much resource for a ship that would take 2 air drop bombs to be sunk...

I just... think people were not that smart at the time..

I know I am being naughty.. People eventually learned battleships were obsolete.

but couldn't they find that out little earlier?

Edited by 0806sung
  • Bad 3

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,498 posts
2,090 battles
1 minute ago, 0806sung said:

I just find ironic because battleships cost money, tremendous of money to build.

Who came up with the bigger is better idea? so Italy believed that building these giant ships truely win the wars for them?

Probably it was just the idea that they should build such ship to compete with French ships...in SIZE....!

All that resource for.. brag fight!! and the Roma is love because it looked beautiful?

Aren't they a weapon system, a military asset after all? THAT much resource for a ship that would take 2 air drop bombs to be sunk...

I know I am being naughty.. People eventually learned battleships were obsolete.

Why did anyone build any BBs?

The Fritz X was an advanced weapon that most wouldn't have seen coming, especially not in the mid-1930s when the class was being designed.

The class made perfect sense when it came to counter new French battleship construction, and they weren't even massive by WWII BB standards. If you want oversized, look at the Bismarck class.

All those resources weren't for a brag fight, they were for fighting the fleet that was the most likely threat to Italy - that of the French. Those two bombs would've sunk any other ship in the world had they hit in the same location. It's just luck for most other ships they typically over penetrated. 

Why Roma is loved in the Anglo-American world so much is probably the tragic tale of being being sunk by the first guided bomb.  Littorio and Vittorio Veneto (her sisters) have always traditionally been bigger deals because they actually fought battles in the war (which is more than what can be said for most battleships) and took part in numerous operations.

Members
2,145 posts
10,639 battles
4 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

All that resource for.. brag fight!! Roma is loved because it looked beautiful..?

It goes back to fleet tactics. Up until WWII, some people were making noise about aircraft making BBs obsolete, but there was little clear combat evidence so naval doctrine called for massed fleet action with capital ships. Fleet tactics before the aircraft carrier were basically the same for the previous 400 years or so. Guns got bigger and ships got bigger.  To defeat the other guy's ship you needed an equivalent ship, so arms races started.  The Italians in particular were poorly adapted to deal with planes, as France had only one small CV, so they built their navy around BBs like everyone else to combat a similar navy.  After british CVs kicked their butts, they tried to remedy the situation, but it was too late.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,635 posts
4,251 battles
13 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

People were allured by big gun battleships, which could be stemmed from the ships of the line that dominates the 17th and 18rh centuries.

Anyways, our modern battleship-like entity are the carriers, especially the super carriers.  It would only be a matter of time before they will face their killer.

In regards to why I like the Roma, I always thought that the Regis Marina was very underrated during the war.  After al, they had well-designed ships that were imitated and bought throughout the world (Spain wanted Littorio-like battleships and the Soviet Union used the Italian lights cruisers as a base for their own ships).

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,400 posts
10,684 battles
15 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

17th/18th century political projection of power bigger really was better. This attitude continued and helped lead up to WW1, Jutland sort of thru cold water on the viability of monster gun ships. Billie Mitchell, Toranto and Pearl Harbor sort of cemented the idea that the BB was no longer going to be the main fleet asset. After that naval wars would be decided by Carriers and Submarines.

[5BS]
Members
5,963 posts
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

Historical combat performance is not a requirement for people to like a ship.

If it was it'd be like, 4 ships worth liking.

• Cool 1

Members
2,145 posts
10,639 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

17th/18th century political projection of power bigger really was better. This attitude continued and helped lead up to WW1, Jutland sort of thru cold water on the viability of monster gun ships. Billie Mitchell, Toranto and Pearl Harbor sort of cemented the idea that the BB was no longer going to be the main fleet asset. After that naval wars would be decided by Carriers and Submarines.

And let's not forget the ill-fated Force Z.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,011 posts
6,980 battles
36 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

Those weren't just 'two germain air-dropped bomb's, the German attack on those ships was basically the first time in history that remote controlled bombs were dropped onto a target.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,162 battles
1 minute ago, 0806sung said:

This is NORMAL human experience.  This can be said for most evolution over time.  It's always obvious in hindsight...not so easy in the day.

The battleship was the epitome of naval power for centuries.  CENTURIES...as in thousands of years!!!!  Every war leading up to WWII...the big ship ruled the oceans.  Read up on history....the Spanish Armada....Trafalgar...and yes...even Yorktown...It was the big ship.  Jutland.  Tsushima.  In fact, keep an eye on that last one.  The great battle to decide the fate of the war....the Japanese held on to that concept until the very end during WWII.  And why not?  It worked for the Japanese only a few decades prior, as it had worked for thousands of years before. 

At the time some of the ships represented in this game were designed and/or built, the airplane didn't even exist!  For many of the others, the plane existed as fragile pieces of wood and fabric useful for little more than observation.

Air power technology advanced rapidly in the early 20th century.  From fabric to steel in a few decades.  From paper to guided missiles (the one the Germans used on the Italian BBs).  Less than half a century of technology to eclipse a thousand years of inertia. 

They couldn't find out any earlier...because there was no EARLIER.  It evolved in real time.  It happened all so fast.  

We can look back and go...duh!  But that's only because we are looking backward at history...at the obvious outcome.  If you lived "in the moment" with the knowledge of history at the time...not so easy predicting a different future...when you have a thousand years of precedence that says something different.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
9,152 battles
3 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

It bears mentioning that it's easy to see how things work in hindsight, but doing so in the moment takes vision that not everyone has, and so most end up relying on dogmatic experience.

Battleships had been the capital ships for centuries. Naval strategy all floated around that. The introduction of torpedo boats just spawned their destroyers to keep BBs safe, but didn't alter the strategy. The airplane did, but it's hard to have foreseen the huge technological leaps that airplanes would make when the first examples were rickety things with terrible range and payload.

You could argue Billy Mitchell proved the airplane's superiority, but it's not like he didn't make that argument either, and his contemporary detractors had the benefit of a stationary target not fighting back and the weight of their authoritative positions. Mitchell didn't have much company anywhere in the world, and those that did were often overruled (see Yamamoto's distate of the Yamato class) or some other human factor led to it being ignored (like the bungling of Pearl Harbor's defense after fleet exercises had shown its vulnerability to air raids and a year+ after Taranto).

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,093 battles
35 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

This is easy.  

It looks good and in game per the reviews plays good. 

End of the day even though this game has alot of historical significance, it is just a game and people want to do well in it.

All reviewers and CCs are literally PR and sales people for WG. They subject themselves to WG's demands and regulations even though they are not being paid, not under contractual obligations, nor force of arms. Holding onto pre - release reviews, hahahahahaha

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,400 posts
10,684 battles
5 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

And let's not forget the ill-fated Force Z.

Oh yeah good example. That was land based bombers right? Smashed Prince of Wales and Repulse?

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
10,063 battles

The Roma is a fan favorite because the tomatoes can really identify with it.

how-to-grow-roma-tomatoes.jpg

Yes, the goal of this post is to make you hungry.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,071 posts
3,895 battles

Why do people love Bismarck? Scharnhorst?

Why do people love Yamato? Fuso? Nagato?

Why do people love Arizona?

People love warships that came to a tragic end.

[TBW]
Members
7,093 posts
13,055 battles
4 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Yes but Roma's are a bit small for a big juicy Hamburger, I go with the Mortgage lifter.

mortgage_lifter_tomato.jpg.d62d60acfc917dcc1829b315dd3ad55c.jpg

The Tomato of the Month for April is the Mortgage Lifter Heirloom Tomato. The Mortgage Lifter Heirloom Tomato may have a strange name, but it has some awesome qualities. This heirloom variety has a very interesting history that starts back in the 1930's in Logan, West Virginia.

As the story goes, it was developed by a radiator repairman, named M.C. “Radiator Charlie” Byles, when he successfully crossed four of the largest tomatoes he could find – German Johnson, Beefsteak, an Italian variety, and an old English variety. Radiator Charlie began selling his new tomato seedlings in the 1940’s for one dollar a piece to customers that came from as far away as 200 miles to buy his famous tomato plants that grew huge, tasty tomatoes. With all the sales from his tomato plants, he was able to pay off his $6,000 mortgage on his home in six years, and so he named the tomato the Mortgage Lifter.

The Mortgage Lifter is an indeterminate tomato plant that bears slightly pinkish-red fruits and can grow from 2 to 4 pounds. They feature a meaty, mild flavor that has few seeds, and is ideal for slicing.Mortgage Lifter tomatoes can be started indoors six to eight weeks before the last frost and should be planted 36 to 48 inches apart in the garden to give them plenty of room to grow.

If you have never tried a Mortgage Lifter tomato, then I highly recommend it! Truly one of the best tasting and largest heirloom tomatoes you can find.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles
9 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Crap...now I want pasta with tomato sauce...