You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Storm in the NL, part 2

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,182 posts
13,636 battles

Some people will remember this thread from a few weeks ago, in which I talked about a storm in the Netherlands.

This morning, there was another storm, by some accounts even worse than that one.

300+ flights were canceled at Schiphol. Trains were canceled all throughout the country. There are reports of fatalities, of trucks blown off the road, trees uprooted, claims of 140 kph / 87 mph gusts ...

BdubAFg.gif

rf7CpmF.gif

UE6vqEg.jpg

NSTI9G2.jpg

The Netherlands is not a country where heavy storms happen often so our infrastructure isn't really prepared for it. This one is claimed to be the heaviest one since 1990.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,182 posts
13,636 battles
6 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Okay that's terrifying.

Watch the compilation video and see what the wind did to an apartment building's roof ...

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,900 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Watch the compilation video and see what the wind did to an apartment building's roof ...

After this midway game, gotta set a fire.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,111 posts
14,998 battles

So honest question about the wind. A thin person would be more aerodynamic than a thick person who would catch more wind, but a thick person would have higher ground pressure than a thin person which should hold them down better? 

Where I live in the great state of Missouri we can get winds that can reached sustained winds of over 30 mhp and wind gust reaching 60+ mph. We don't even need stormy weather to get those kinds of winds. Though if a Tornado shows up all bets are off for winds speeds. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,760 posts
7,268 battles

Feel for those guys. Really do. We are still rebuilding neighborhoods down here in the Houston area after Hurricane Harvey.

[SALVO]
Members
18,940 posts
19,191 battles

And here I was reading the thread title, wondering why someone would be posting  about MLB and the National League in particular.

Stay safe, Lert.  And keep the kitties inside!  We don't need to test if cats can fly.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,182 posts
13,636 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Stay safe, Lert.

Thanks for the concern. I'm entirely fine though, houses where I live are built a bit more sturdy than the apartment building in the compilation video, and I had the foresight to close all my windows and luck that no branches or debris hit them.

Just now, Crucis said:

And keep the kitties inside!

Freya is an inside cat anyways. She barely noticed the storm.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Lived through three tornadoes.  That level of wind can be terrifying.  Stay safe Lert!

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,900 battles
37 minutes ago, Lert said:

The roof seemed uneventful, that lorry was scary tho.

[TDG]
Members
1,574 posts
7,203 battles

I grew up new New Orleans and lived through several hurricanes.

I've also seen some impressive straight-line winds.

Glad to hear you are safe, Lert.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,780 posts
4,642 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Forget the apartment building's roof - can you imagine being on either of those two jumbo jets? 

XYJw6s8.jpg

I've never been through an aborted landing, but I've been through a couple that I think were pretty darn close.  I prefer my rollercoasters on rails - and my generic rollercoaster policy is LOLNOPE!

Glad to know you're safe, Lert!

Edit: Well, maybe don't *forget* the apartment building.  I'm sure that was a harrowing experience too, and I hope no one in the building was hurt.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,948 posts
3,407 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

So honest question about the wind. A thin person would be more aerodynamic than a thick person who would catch more wind, but a thick person would have higher ground pressure than a thin person which should hold them down better? 

A thinner person has a higher cross section to mass ratio.  Think of a 8" wide piece of cloth (aka a sail) vs. a 8" wide piece of wood. 

The wind applies the same force to both, but the less massive object has less inertia to overcome and accelerates faster.  In practical terms, the lighter guy is more easily knocked off balance and accelerated away more quickly.  Ground pressure isn't a factor.