You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cavscout1739

Tier I - Seal Clubbing advisory

13 comments in this topic

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
453 posts
5,144 battles

Yesterday was an eye opener for me. I had decided to do a little seal clubbing at Tier I - I was fairly proficient in a variety of cruiser types, and strapped on a Black Swan because AP = Citadels. I wanted the potatoes to have an even playing field, so there weren't any advantages on my ship.

The first thing I noticed on load in was the number of clan tags on both sides. People were saying, "Hey there," and "Hi," so it was a close knit community. And then when the match began, I saw that Red was moving a lot better than my Green. And consequently within the first 10 minutes, all of the potatoes had been peeled.

My former team mates, RIPPotates.jpg.e297fc0419043f8783d698ce04ca4bec.jpg

It was time to buckle down and do some damage - unfortunately, the other team had their perks and I died. It was close though - like, 4:1 at the last (I was there for 4:2).

To prep for my next game, I put the skillz on my captain (Priority Target and Adrenaline Rush - whoopty!), some 3/4 cammo and a flag. Because I'm someone not to be trifled with.

I lasted longer t5iWjhx.jpg.cd735f020e3bf6966c42cc455e9e50aa.jpg

I figured I had a clue about what was going on. Despite WG nerfing Tier I and making the ships unplayable, it turns out that players can still make the best of a bad decision. If you wanted to cause Cits, you strapped on the RN. If you wanted fires, you put on the Hermelin. There were other choices, of course (armor, HP pool), but if you didn't have rifles and rof, you were going to be on the ocean floor. For the most part, all of the clubbers that were participating were flagged up and the potatoes were the precursor to the main event. It wasn't even about clubbing. It was about having a fun time with artillery and your friends.

Potatoes are also invited 

Clubbin.jpg.4629b71ac99cd453f1acf067ef7d5a10.jpg

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,410 battles

Pfft, seal clubbing at T1? What? :Smile_teethhappy: I seal club at T3 and T4 where the newbies can say hi to my super ranged flamethrower Katori and my broadsiding secondary monster Arkansas (Beta). That's more fun than any silly tier one ship can provide me with. :Smile-_tongue: I think you're missing out, here.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles

My first and only Kraken (and High Calibre, and Confederate) was in the Black Swan, at a stage in my career so early that WG was still providing me with Bots in randoms. In fact, I looked at the screenshot the other day and realised that I was the ONLY HUMAN on either team.

I need to go down there with a ten point captain someday, dress the ship up in decent camo, and try my hand at some seal butchery. If I ever win a 10-point UK captain in an op, I'll slap Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, BFT and AFT or concealment on him and go to town. He'll still be useful in destroyers with that skill set, so nothing too much will be lost.

[LOU1]
Members
3,455 posts
9,239 battles

Actually, there are a group of veteran players that like to meet and battle at Tier 1.  Their rationale is that it is all about skills and doesn't rely very much on ship abilities.  You should not encounter many new players because they are prevented from battling experienced players.  I am surprised the player that was inviting players to this "league" a while ago has't chimed in yet.  I tried it for a couple of sessions and it was the best example of team play I have seen - I haven't played any clan battles yet.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
887 posts
17,351 battles
26 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I am surprised the player that was pushing this "league" a while ago has't chimed in yet.

If you're talking about me...

I'll never push. I'll suggest, invite, inform, and, if necessary, defend, but I'll NEVER push.

MRMbMS5.png

Join us. ;)

Edit: P.S. I generally run with no flags (except Zulu Hotel (when I win Premium time) and Military Month Contributor) or camo.

Edited by theLaalaa

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
21 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Their rationale is that it is all about skills and doesn't rely very much on ship abilities.

Fair enough. No torps, no radar, no hydro, no aircraft, no smoke... just your guns and your wits.

That being said, each ship does have its individual thing even down here - the Black Swan, for example, is a Tier 1 mini-Minotaur if there ever was one. Knife fighting, especially; hold down the fire key and hose your enemy to death.

[LOU1]
Members
3,455 posts
9,239 battles
2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

If you're talking about me...

I'll never push. I'll suggest, invite, inform, and, if necessary, defend, but I'll NEVER push.

MRMbMS5.png

Join us. ;)

Whoops!  Was not thinking about the implication of my choice of words.  Changed it to what I really meant to say: "...inviting of players...".

It is actually fun to be able to focus on strategy and teamwork.

[LOU1]
Members
3,455 posts
9,239 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fair enough. No torps, no radar, no hydro, no aircraft, no smoke... just your guns and your wits.

That being said, each ship does have its individual thing even down here - the Black Swan, for example, is a Tier 1 mini-Minotaur if there ever was one. Knife fighting, especially; hold down the fire key and hose your enemy to death.

Exactly what I meant.  I do like using the "special abilities" of my ships, but it is refreshing to just mainly deal with range, ROF, and armor in terms of the ships themselves.

[O_O]
Members
4,927 posts
10,844 battles

True newbies can advance past T1 in one or two games.  For some reason T1 has a devout group of players.  Don't kid yourself...T1 is NOT full of newbies.

Tier 3-5 has a lot of newbies, but not T1.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Don't kid yourself...T1 is NOT full of newbies.

I have recently found this out to my cost.

However... if one made a different account for a different server... does this not start you out as a complete newbie? :Smile_child: