Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

French Battleships

12 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,317 posts
16,534 battles

Hi

Ok I might have been asleep or busy doing tasks at the time when all the hoop la came out about French Battleships, but can some one please explain to my why there is a French BB called Turenne.

Now Google has this ship as a Hercules class 100 gun ship launched 1854 for the French navy.

Now once again looking online through Google checking French battleships dating up to 1910 since the next French ship is The Courbet, we have four ship class candidates

The Suffren

The République class

The Liberté class

The Danton class

However WG choose to go to Fantasy Island via plane of course to produce a ship that I can find no information about other than the 100 gunner I earlier mentioned.

Can some one please explain to me there method in madness here as to why they chose to ignore the other 4 suitable ship classes.

And on the subject of fantasy ships how did The Gascogne a never laid down Richelieu class ship manage to get a gig of its own.

Regards

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles

Tier III - Turenne: Is a modified Danton-class battleship with 6×2 turrets. It is largely based on the historical counterpart.

[SALVO]
Members
18,940 posts
19,191 battles

Those 4 battleships you listed were all pre-dreadnoughts, not actual dreadnoughts.  There's only one pre-dreadnought in the game, the Mikasa.

As for the Gascogne, how did it end up in game?  That's easy.  The French just don't have the number of BBs actually built that naval superpowers did.  And WG clearly wants to give them a tier 8 premium BB.  And given that the Gascogne's design differed from the Richelieu (moving one of its quad turrets aft), it makes sense that they'd pick this over the Jean Bart, which would have been just a boring clone.

Furthermore, I don't see it as a fantasy ship.  I don't know all the details of the ship that WG's used, but even according to the Wiki article on the Richelieu class BBs, the Gascogne was ordered, materials purchased and were at the dry dock ready for use when the project was cancelled due to the  German invasion.  So, NOT a fantasy ship.  In my book, "fantasy ships" are those that were never ordered.  I'd consider the USN's Tilton maximum BB design studies to be an example of a fantasy ship, because these were never really meant to be built.  OTOH, the Montanas are not  fantasy ships because, like the Gascogne, they were ordered and contracts handed out before they were cancelled.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,442 posts
11,788 battles

Gascogne based on one of the pre-Richelieu design canidate project, how this mini France find its way as a tier 8 premium before Jean Bart does did baffles me unless we are pretty much done a copy a paste of a research ship with an actual price tag

[SALVO]
Members
18,940 posts
19,191 battles
4 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Gascogne based on one of the pre-Richelieu design canidate project, how this mini France find its way as a tier 8 premium before Jean Bart does did baffles me unless we are pretty much done a copy a paste of a research ship with an actual price tag

It doesn't baffle me.  Clearly, the devs wanted to use something other than a direct copy and paste clone.  And the Gascogne was apparently intended to be built with one fore and one aft quad turrets.

I can tell you that I'd MUCH rather have something different than a god damned copy and paste clone.  I'm sick of all these clones.  I don't give a good GD about clones with a different name slapped on the aft.  

Alpha Tester
2,195 posts
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Turenne is based on the Danton-class BB. WG removed all her historical 240mm secondary turrets and replace them with 305s. Her B hull goes a little further into the fantasy realm, replacing all of her 75mm guns with 100mm guns. Last but not least, the real Danton had a total of eight twin turrets. Turenne will have only six and her hull is much shorter in length. Just the usual balance purposes.

Be warned, she wasn't the first ship to be fictionalized by WG and she won't be the last. Kaiser and Konig are still the ugliest imo.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,317 posts
16,534 battles
48 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Turenne is based on the Danton-class BB. WG removed all her historical 240mm secondary turrets and replace them with 305s. Her B hull goes a little further into the fantasy realm, replacing all of her 75mm guns with 100mm guns. Last but not least, the real Danton had a total of eight twin turrets. Turenne will have only six and her hull is much shorter in length. Just the usual balance purposes.

Be warned, she wasn't the first ship to be fictionalized by WG and she won't be the last. Kaiser and Konig are still the ugliest imo.

Thanks this info goes a long way to answering my question I spent about 2 hours going through the French line on Wikipedia thinking what on earth was going on and why not one of those 4 classes.

The Danton  in my opinion was the best choice I could see from the 4 though The Suffren had its merits still I can live with a modified version of Danton.

cheers  

[POP]
Members
1,317 posts
16,534 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Those 4 battleships you listed were all pre-dreadnoughts, not actual dreadnoughts.  There's only one pre-dreadnought in the game, the Mikasa.

As for the Gascogne, how did it end up in game?  That's easy.  The French just don't have the number of BBs actually built that naval superpowers did.  And WG clearly wants to give them a tier 8 premium BB.  And given that the Gascogne's design differed from the Richelieu (moving one of its quad turrets aft), it makes sense that they'd pick this over the Jean Bart, which would have been just a boring clone.

Furthermore, I don't see it as a fantasy ship.  I don't know all the details of the ship that WG's used, but even according to the Wiki article on the Richelieu class BBs, the Gascogne was ordered, materials purchased and were at the dry dock ready for use when the project was cancelled due to the  German invasion.  So, NOT a fantasy ship.  In my book, "fantasy ships" are those that were never ordered.  I'd consider the USN's Tilton maximum BB design studies to be an example of a fantasy ship, because these were never really meant to be built.  OTOH, the Montanas are not  fantasy ships because, like the Gascogne, they were ordered and contracts handed out before they were cancelled.

@Cruciswe don't know each other from a bar soap but you have on occasion replied to my posts with a wealth of info and once again you have done so, I also quite regularly as with most of forum regulars keep a eye for your own posts, always good value and knowledge go into them.

I have not ran into you on the High Seas for some time thank god and those few occasions way back when I was on the receiving end of your salvos all to often  good hunting  sir

[POP]
Members
1,317 posts
16,534 battles

Thanks to the rest of you that posted with info I look forward to the French line though no Aft main guns on some that has me a bit concerned but we shall see.

cheers

[SALVO]
Members
18,940 posts
19,191 battles
2 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Wolcott, what do you expect WG to do?  Not give them upgrades and leave them in their WW1 state?  That wouldn't happen, unless the ships were premiums.  And even then, I kind of doubt that a tier 5 premium would exist in a WW1 state.  A tier 4 premium, perhaps. 

Regardless, I think that it's rather silly to not expect WG to provide interwar upgrades to WW1 ships that were historically scuttled at the end of WW1.  For starters, all of their regular tech tree ships get upgrades.  It's just what they do, to get you to sink some XP and credits into the ship along your grind to the next ship.  Would those interwar upgrades have kept the WW1 silhouette?  Again, highly doubtful.  From my experience, I think that all historical upgrades of WW1 era battleships included a building up of their superstructures, in large part to elevate the gun directors.  Could the devs have done it in a more pleasing way?  Perhaps, but let's be  real.  Different people have different tastes in these matters.  Some people find the two Russian BBs ugly as sin, while others appreciate their stark, low WW1 era lines.

[LUFF]
Beta Testers
14 posts
5,214 battles

If you enjoy this kind of info, I recommend trying to procure a copy of 'Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships 1922-1946.' (There are other volumes that cover the ships prior to 1922 as well). It's been out of print for a while but you can still find used copies here and there...I got mine off Amazon back in beta. It isn't cheap (was $65 new) but every country that had a rowboat with a mounted .22 on it is included (Albania, Chile, Paraguay to name a couple) but with the pictures and diagrams and the wealth of detail I felt it was money well spent. Has dates the ship was laid down, changes to armament over time and etc. It's not really a history lesson on each ship but more of how and where they were built and by whom. There are overviews of the major navies and you'll find it interesting how many Russian BBs ended up on the scrap heap...well, used for scrap that is...they did have a ton of CAs and DDs and 'river boats.' Anyway, it might be possible some libraries may have a copy if this interests you at all.

Good gaming in any event!

• Cool 1

Members
25 posts
3,603 battles

I would expect to see Courbet, Bretagne, Normandie (3 quad 13" turrets, never completed), perhaps Lyon (4 quad 13" turrets) , Dunkerque, Richelieu, perhaps Gascogne (1 quad 15" forward and 1 aft) , and finally Alsace (2 quad 15" forward and 1 aft).  That's enough actually planned battleships, they should not have to make up a fake one. 

Sign in to follow this