Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zandre1126

Badges Are Frustrating

53 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

18
[NGAGE]
Beta Testers
30 posts
4,375 battles

I don't overall mind them in the game, but they feel like content added for the "look at how cool I am" type of person. Its incredibly frustrating when after you die a giant symbol of stuff pops up in the middle of your screen for 10 seconds meaning if you wanna watch your shots, torps, or a friend, you have to weave the camera around just to look. like, put it on the side of the screen or something or let us mount them on our ship. I don't care about someones badge they put together. 

 

Badges are just bad taste imo.

  • Cool 12
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[U-P]
Beta Testers
84 posts
5,287 battles

Its an element that's actually enjoyable, it's gives one a sense of accomplishment and it doesn't stay that long! just take it for what it is :) 

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
Just now, Thunder_Guts said:

Its an element that's actually enjoyable, it's gives one a sense of accomplishment and it doesn't stay that long! just take it for what it is :) 

Yeah for some it does but then again some people like all sorts of stuff that others do not. I play games for recreation, not to feel like I have accomplished anything. Getting the fence painted feels more like an accomplishment... The problem is there is no way to opt out for those people who do not like the patches/emblems. You would have thought Wargaming learned its lesson with ARP and HSF content but they just keep forcing stuff on people who think it is silly, and wait for the inevitable crap storm before allowing people an option on whether they want the material or not.. We are talking aesthetics here, not game mechanics. There is no good reason not to allow people the ability to opt out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
952
[SPTR]
Members
26,448 posts
11,815 battles

10 seconds isn't bad, but would agree to put it on the side above the in game chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[U-P]
Beta Testers
84 posts
5,287 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah for some it does but then again some people like all sorts of stuff that others do not. I play games for recreation, not to feel like I have accomplished anything. Getting the fence painted feels more like an accomplishment... The problem is there is no way to opt out for those people who do not like the patches/emblems. You would have thought Wargaming learned its lesson with ARP and HSF content but they just keep forcing stuff on people who think it is silly, and wait for the inevitable crap storm before allowing people an option on whether they want the material or not.. We are talking aesthetics here, not game mechanics. There is no good reason not to allow people the ability to opt out.

You are right though in the sense of people not wanting it but with that it'll kill it for the players that do like it, plus it gives a player the chance to boost about there achievements which at the moment cant be done so it gives the chance for other players to play better and do better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
5 minutes ago, Thunder_Guts said:

You are right though in the sense of people not wanting it but with that it'll kill it for the players that do like it, plus it gives a player the chance to boost about there achievements which at the moment cant be done so it gives the chance for other players to play better and do better :)

I am assuming you mean boast not boost. In real life we call that poor sportsmanship. Or least we used to. Not sure that is conducive to a happy player community. It is pretty obvious that a good portion of your fellow players do not like it and want to be able to turn it off. Sure some people may decide to buckle down and "git gud" but it is far more likely that players will leave the game. Unhappy players do not stay with a game when there are so many others on the market, especially when they think that they are being shamed purposefully (or just dislike the mechanic). You can gloat all you want to about what great achievements you earned in a computer game and in a few years it will mean exactly squat. I used to be a god in MUDs, had a high level magic user and fighter in Ultima and did pretty good playing Starfleet Command and StarCraft online. My Fonline character had a base with two of the helicopters at my disposal. None of any of that means crap just as in a few years any accomplishments or  honors I earn in WoWS now will be meaningless.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[BUNNY]
Beta Testers
977 posts
4,273 battles

I like the badges. Not really what I want Wargaming to work on, but since i've given up my dream of a game balanced around good gameplay instead of milking cash out of people the fact that players have to see the angriest seal in the world holding a torpedo when I kill them will do.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
1 minute ago, RevolutionBlues said:

I like the badges. Not really what I want Wargaming to work on, but since i've given up my dream of a game balanced around good gameplay instead of milking cash out of people the fact that players have to see the angriest seal in the world holding a torpedo when I kill them will do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the badges and emblems, they are kind of cool. Just thought I would be putting them on my ship like they do in WoT, not shoved into someone's face when I sink them. Like I said in another thread, the emblems are fine for those who like them. Wargaming screwed the pooch when they made it mandatory and not allowing players to opt out. If they could not see upset customers over this aesthetic, then they are clueless noobs.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
Just now, RevolutionBlues said:

Well.. in the words of an Eve Online dev from many years ago, maybe they should "Harden the f#@k up."

That is the stupidest thing said yet, well done. There isn't anything soft about me cupcake. Unfortunately there is no fixing stupid and I guess your reading comprehension is pretty piss poor. Pitiful.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[BUNNY]
Beta Testers
977 posts
4,273 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

That is the stupidest thing said yet, well done. There isn't anything soft about me cupcake. Unfortunately there is no fixing stupid and I guess your reading comprehension is pretty piss poor. Pitiful.

Please note that I said 'they' not 'you'. You're the one who brought up 'upset customers'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,530
[90THG]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
3,551 posts
13,558 battles

I just find it amusing how one little picture can bring on all these reactions..im waiting to see a kitten emblem become the source of ultimate rage.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
656
[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
9,157 battles

The only part of the badges I don't like is how it takes up so much screen room. I sunk after launching torps and had to move the camera to a weird spot to see the torps hit and sink my attacker because the badge was in the way. It'd be better if they were a bit smaller and shifted to the lower part of the screen, where all the info you don't need after being sunk (main battery/torpedo status indicators and consumables) are.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
5 minutes ago, RevolutionBlues said:

Please note that I said 'they' not 'you'. You're the one who brought up 'upset customers'.

Ok, not sure how that is relevant but ok.

Every post here is from a player/customer. Most of the comments want the ability to turn off the little pictures that or only for decoration and not a game mechanic. This makes players/customers angry or alienates them. Angry players/customers don't spend money and may quit being players/customers. This is not rocket science. Telling customers to "suck it up" or the like might feel good but it pales in comparison to the feeling an angry player/customer gets when they close their wallet and uninstall the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,402
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,121 posts
12,386 battles

Well, some folks love rubbing in their victories.  I think it's pretty unclassy, but that's how people want to roll.  I'm not a huge fan of the badges, but they don't bother me too much either.  I'm more irritated that dev cycles were spent on this.  if they give me an option to disable them, I'll probably use it if for nothing else because it will make the classless folks who like rubbing it in as apoplectic as they people whom they are making fun of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,159
[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,561 posts
4,805 battles

I actually like the badges..  the style of them is very much like the ships badges that actually existed, and the basic ones are pretty much like the insignia worn on naval uniforms.  To me that adds a sense of immersion in a convaluted sort of way.

As to having them shoved in your face...  so what?    If it upsets you that much in a combat game then perhaps there are other issues you should be looking at. 

Is it sporting? yes and no.   It's no worse than being at the Olympics and having to stand on the second place on the podium while another countries anthem plays for the gold medal for the person standing above and next to you.

The only way to turn it off right now is to either win or to play Co-Op.

I don't think you will ever get an accurate response on the forums as to whether this is good or bad for most people, because as usual, there is a very vocal group and then a silent group, and a very vocal forum minority can make it seem like that is a majority view and that is what they rely on.

For me, I think it's just another fun thing to do while playing a WAR-game I like a great deal and as a combat game, if it winds up someone on the enemy team threough their own hate of it, and makes them make just one more mistake in their game then thats all to the good.

M

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,178
[YORHA]
Members
3,907 posts
6,776 battles
1 hour ago, RevolutionBlues said:

Well.. in the words of an Eve Online dev from many years ago, maybe they should "Harden the f#@k up."

 

Yup.  A real bunch of hard boys...

 

eve-vr_group-hires.jpg

 

They must absolutely terrorize their Pilates classes.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,806 posts
6,219 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

 

Yup.  A real bunch of hard boys...

 

eve-vr_group-hires.jpg

 

They must absolutely terrorize their Pilates classes.

You look really foolish.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[WOLF6]
Members
2,382 posts
5,128 battles
5 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I am assuming you mean boast not boost. In real life we call that poor sportsmanship. Or least we used to. 

Yep.

Dunno if we learned it as kids - where a smart, disrespectful mouth got you a fat lip - or in the Navy (maybe both?), but along the way we learned about integrity. We learned to do the right thing, even when no one was watching. ESPECIALLY when no one was watching. Didn't matter if you were in public or private. You started all conversations assuming the person you were speaking to was as worthy, or more so, of respect as you.

The internet has unleashed the dickwad kraken, that takes personal pleasure in demeaning and marginalizing - anyone they can, really - and only because they CAN! They can be a "tough guy", say what they want, and (usually) get away with it. How sad that WG can find a marketing "hook" by playing on this "need" in a sufficiently large group of people to make it worthwhile.

Really getting sick of the "I'm too tough to care, I'm not responsible for anything I do on-line, toughen up cupcake/snowflake" crowd. That sh*t is taking us in the wrong direction. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,460
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,794 posts
3,999 battles
6 hours ago, Thunder_Guts said:

Its an element that's actually enjoyable, it's gives one a sense of accomplishment and it doesn't stay that long! just take it for what it is :) 

It stay long enough to ruin a close range "Its a flesh wound" kill. 

 

That's enough to make it badly implemented for me. 

 

It remains long enough to take away from being able to watch a quick kill after you die, or watching another ship sink. Or watching your own ship explode and sink after you get killed. 

 

How hard would it of been to have it at the top with the players name displayed

 

You were killed by Cobraclutch  *Emblem* in writing at the top of your screen. 

 

Ontop of that, it doesn't scale vs screen size. When I play on my gaming laptop it literally populated the whole middle of the screen, VS my 27 inch monitor where its not as intrusive because its much smaller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,795
Alpha Tester
7,112 posts
3,722 battles

I'm totally against all the "snowflake" crap, but I don't agree badges are in the same vein.

Badges are a nice way to give the player an identity. I do think they should be able to be toggled off if it's going to be a big issue for so many.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,460
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,794 posts
3,999 battles
Just now, Madwolf05 said:

I'm totally against all the "snowflake" crap, but I don't agree badges are in the same vein.

Badges are a nice way to give the player an identity. I do think they should be able to be toggled off if it's going to be a big issue for so many.

I agree, I love the concept I just don't like the implementation. 

I wanna be able to experience the best of both worlds, see the sick badge of another player while watching my ship sink. 

On my 27 inch monitor, its not as bad. But when I drop down to my laptop 15 inch screen.. Man how annoying it is to have this bright yellow badge take up the middle of my screen, it feels like an annoying pop up ad. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,196 posts
8,362 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ok, not sure how that is relevant but ok.

Every post here is from a player/customer. Most of the comments want the ability to turn off the little pictures that or only for decoration and not a game mechanic. This makes players/customers angry or alienates them. Angry players/customers don't spend money and may quit being players/customers. This is not rocket science. Telling customers to "suck it up" or the like might feel good but it pales in comparison to the feeling an angry player/customer gets when they close their wallet and uninstall the game.

 

Most of the people that play the game don’t even come to the forums.  Among those that do, large proportion could care less about the badges (like me), and would not care to post in this thread.  Having said that, I don’t care what they do with those badges one way or the other. It looks like they put a good effort in them though.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,203
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
19 minutes ago, Veksha said:

Most of the people that play the game don’t even come to the forums.  Among those that do, large proportion could care less about the badges (like me), and would not care to post in this thread.  Having said that, I don’t care what they do with those badges one way or the other. It looks like they put a good effort in them though.

Yeah I would like to know how many players are forum members (or at least read them). It is a tough call to know whether it is a large percentage of players who are for or against anything in the game based just on forum posts. The only thing you can say is "A majority of forum posters are saying this or that", not "a majority of players are saying this or that". I always try to couch my remarks that way. 

I actually was fine with patches and the emblems. I was hoping to decorate my ships with them, I did not expect to be putting into someone's face. I thought it would be like in WoT where you have all the stuff on your tank or gun barrel. Personally I am glad they are in the game for those that like this kind of stuff, anything that makes players happy is good for the game. With that said, just wish we could toggle it off or on. Since I found out that these little emblems were for tea bagging your foe, I am disgusted with them. Anything intended to humiliate my fellow players is just poor sportsmanship and I want not part of it. If Wargaming wants to promote poor gamesmanship and poor sportsmanship, fine, they can do as they please. They can just do it without my money. I suppose a cute little meme of me giving Wargaming the bird would be appropriate but since THEY don't like having crap like that pushed in their faces, I will be the better man and not do it. Funny how they make rules to defend themselves against the very behavior they are encouraging in the game. It is pretty pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×