You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GoodKillTanks

A second opinion on my stockpile of free xp

17 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
2,077 battles

So right now I'm sitting on around 800,000 free xp and with update 7.2 here I'm looking for a second opinion of what I should do. The way I see it I have three options. The first option would be to free xp my way to the Iowa and the G Kurfürst, which is possible because I have both the North Carolina and Friedrich der Groβe. The next option is to get the Missouri which I've heard is great but is it really worth 750,000xp? Lastly I could wait for the Musashi, which I've heard good things about. I'm only at the Fuso on the Japanese bb line, and grinding it is not very high on my priority list. I'm just here looking for a second opinion and thanks in advance. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,805 posts
19,619 battles

If you are grinding US battleships, the MO is hands down the best ship to get in your case.  Using free xp to skip past ships seems a good idea, but remember getting higher tiered ships is only half the game. You want high point captains for those high tier boats to be competitive. Grinding a  line earns xp for not only your ship but your captains. Once you get a 19 point captain, you earn elite xp that can be used on all your captains. Keep that in mind. My biggest mistake when I started was running thru the ships so I ended up at mid tier with mediocre captains.

BTW I have MO and the Nelson, not the new one so I can't say much about her. Only know what others have posted about the IJN ship.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,314 posts
8,054 battles

Do you want to make close to a million credits a game? Get the Missouri. 

Do you want to feel overpowered or do you want the best IJN premium? Get the Musashi. 

Do you want the most fun BB in the game? Nelson. 

Are you lazy? Waste your free xp away. 

• Cool 1

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,672 battles

Stick with the North Carolina. It is a very good ship, an easy grind to get the Iowa, and a keeper when your done. Iowa, in some peoples eyes, isn't a big an upgrade as you would think.

Do not have Grosser, but have heard its a strict upgrade over the tier 9, and good ship to play. Not a bad option.

I gotta say though, judging by the Musashi, there is a good chance that a ship like the Missouri will never appear again in the game, in regards to the bonus she gets to silver credit earning. It has been deemed too high by WG (from what i gather), and is being removed I imagine for that very reason. You will not regret it.

FYI, the only mid-tier ships I've ever even considered free xp-ing past were the Pensacola, the Yorck, and the Izumo. In the end, I learned to play them their way, but was happy to see them go.

Edit: Neo has the right of it.

Edited by LukeV

Members
688 posts
833 battles
9 minutes ago, GoodKillTanks said:

So right now I'm sitting on around 800,000 free xp and with update 7.2 here I'm looking for a second opinion of what I should do. The way I see it I have three options. The first option would be to free xp my way to the Iowa and the G Kurfürst, which is possible because I have both the North Carolina and Friedrich der Groβe. The next option is to get the Missouri which I've heard is great but is it really worth 750,000xp? Lastly I could wait for the Musashi, which I've heard good things about. I'm only at the Fuso on the Japanese bb line, and grinding it is not very high on my priority list. I'm just here looking for a second opinion and thanks in advance. 

If you need credits or never want to worry about credits get MO. The MO will print credits and get exp very quickly to geth the Musashi later. Besides, MO is leaving soon. Free exping up a line is never worth it.

[AP]
Members
1,196 posts
12,710 battles

how often are you grinding for credits to buy a new ship?

missouri will cut your grinding time in half(maybe even more)

i personally tried both missouri and musashi, and i find missouri a lot more fun than musashi

i have not tried nelson yet so i cant say, but judging by the fact that it's T7, it cant be too bad clubbing T5s all day long right?

id say missouri or nelson

Alpha Tester
3,482 posts
1,522 battles

Get Missouri.

Why?

1. WG thinks it earns way too many credits so it probably will never be back.
  2. It does earn a total crapton of credits and nothing and a mean nothing remotely compares to it.
  3. It is the only BB (so far) that has Radar, a trait that does give it, its own play style and makes it feel rather different than the tech tree Iowa.
  4. It is actually a pretty decent ship, actually very good in most peoples eyes.

As far as using Free XP to go up the tech trees, honestly I have never felt this was worthwile.  If your in a hurry to grind though to these ships, there is just so much in the way of camos and flags, not to mention special events that will literally make you fly through those ships.  Also I happen to think the NC and the Freddy are decent ships. I have the Alabama which is similar to the NC and enjoy her thoroughly (Also played the NC quite a bit back in closed Beta) and have played the Freddy on the PTS a fair amount.  Nothing wrong with those ships that would make me feel it is painful to grind though them.

As far as the Musashi.  Great ship.  Lots of fun.  Powerful.  But earns the same as a Tier 8 premium. Also she has the exact same play style as the Yamato so there is nothing really unique about her.  Additionally, she is going to be available for a while so you could always get the Missouri now and work toward the Musashi for later.

Finally, you might want to consider the Nelson.  If you don't have it, she is a fun and interesting ship and honestly feels a bit OP compared to other Tier 7 BBs.  I don't think she will be around long either because of this fact.  Additionally because she is only 375k Free XP you would be only 325k free XP from being able to get the Musashi down the road which might feel a bit less overwhelming than getting the MO and then trying to save enough for the Musashi.  However,  I would still hands down recommend the Missouri.  Get it now while you can because she is going to become much more rare than the Gremy and Nikoli combined considering you can be sure the Missouri will never be given out in Santa's Gifts. 

[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

To echo the others that have said so, get the Missouri while the getting is good. Especially if you've only gotten to the Fuso.

Depending on your rate of FXP gain, you should have plenty of time to get the Musashi later down the line. Another thing to remember is that if you care at all about learning the game and/or your stats, then you should only ever use FXP to skip a ship if that ship is such an unmitigated disaster (either because she is flawed or because you cannot make her work for you). The most common (and perhaps sensible) use for FXP is to unlock ship upgrades like B hulls and advanced FCS.

[SIM]
Members
3,173 posts
4,963 battles

As we do not know if the Missouri is ever coming back, I would strongly suggest that you pick her up. She's a strong ship, she has a unique gimmick, and she prints credits. You already play USN BBs, so she'll serve you as a captain trainer as well. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,805 posts
19,619 battles
17 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Depending on your rate of FXP gain, you should have plenty of time to get the Musashi later down the line. Another thing to remember is that if you care at all about learning the game and/or your stats, then you should only ever use FXP to skip a ship if that ship is such an unmitigated disaster (either because she is flawed or because you cannot make her work for you). The most common (and perhaps sensible) use for FXP is to unlock ship upgrades like B hulls and advanced FCS.

Great point, using free xp to unlock upgrades is a decent idea. I forgot to say that. I would caution using free xp to upgrade ships on anything less than tier 6. Most of those ships are easy to get upgraded even in co-op play. At tier 7, it becomes a real grind from there on out. The only exceptions to this would be carriers. Upgrade those and the planes as quickly as you can if you plan on playing them in PvP.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,498 posts
15,773 battles
57 minutes ago, GoodKillTanks said:

get the Missouri which I've heard is great but is it really worth 750,000xp?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES (are you getting my drift?)

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Dude.

Get the Missouri.

It's a no-brainer.

Don't think.  Just get it.

[5BS]
Members
5,944 posts

Get the Missouri, it's worth it as a Captain Trainer and credit printer alone, to say nothing of being just identical enough to the Iowa (really, just an Iowa with Radar) to make it so once you hit the Monty, there is 0 reason to keep the Iowa at all.

Otherwise, keep the Free XP for now; don't blow it on skipping ships. At best, use Free XP to skip stock grinds, but never use it to skip a ship.

[PVE]
Members
1,673 posts
7,166 battles

Breaking News to watch for: WG announces 2 weeks after MO is removed from game and everyone has frantically spent tons of money converting FXP, that it will return periodically for special events at a special sale price of 500k FXP. 

The masses are pissed.

Just saying...we are talking WG here, so anything is possible.

Going to break down and go ahead a get one myself though, just for chits and giggles. 

Good luck to everyone that gets it, hope we all earn a million credits per game.