Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

I like the badges

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,736
[SIM]
Members
3,173 posts
4,964 battles

Seriously, I like having an extra bit of cosmetic distinction available in game, and WG managed to implement it in a non-invasive way. Custom flags wouldn't have worked so well as you rarely have a chance to see the flags of opposing ships. This basically accomplishes the same thing, but lets you use them as a calling card when you sink someone. I'm sorry for folks that are offended by them, but I actually find myself liking the addition of the badges to the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

'm sorry for folks that are offended

As a certain Scottish paladin once said, "Don't weep for the stupid, you'll be cryin' all day."

I like the badge system too (though I am curious to see how the emblems themselves come into play), but they could do with a bit more variety. Given how they're rolling them out, however, makes me think that there will be more to come on that front in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles

I don't mind them one way or the other just wish they gave the option of turning it off. I don't like how it covers the lower portion of my map, could care less what little pretties people put on their ship, I want to see my map. As far as them popping up when you get killed, don't care. I feel about the badges/emblems like I feel about the vanity flags. They are meaningless and not particularly interesting. There should be an option to turn them off.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
80 posts
4,805 battles

I think they are silly.  They serve no purpose.  If the emblems brought some kind of bonus, even small.  That is a purpose.  Badges/patches, no, whatever.  Goofy addition that does nothing.  Just my opinion.  :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Scratched
typo
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,943 posts
3,244 battles

I think they're a cool idea. I'm interested in what comes in the future after this. I'd just like that instead of taking a 3rd of your screen for x seconds, i'd prefer if it would flash in the center for a split second instead, then like minimize and zoom by the name in the kill feed. So its still visible but also out of the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
2 minutes ago, Scratched said:

But, what purpose do they serve?  A large emblem of clip art graphics fills your screen upon sinking.  And?

The same purpose as in any other online game. The closest and most relevant analogy I can think of is EA's Battlefield series, which has literally hundreds of different dog tags that you can earn and use.

They are a mark of distinction, and players like to have something distinctive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles
1 minute ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

The same purpose as in any other online game. The closest and most relevant analogy I can think of is EA's Battlefield series, which has literally hundreds of different dog tags that you can earn and use.

They are a mark of distinction, and players like to have something distinctive.

Fine, put the on the ship, not on the other player's screen. Play dress-up with your boat all you want to, not sure anyone would care. Just allow people who don't care for the content to opt out just like any other silly stuff they have put in the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,683
[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

I'd like to see a way that clans could design and use their own patches. Having a clan-specific patch appear whenever someone is sunk by a member of a certain clan would soon make its name renown if its members were any good. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

Fine, put the on the ship, not on the other player's screen. Play dress-up with your boat all you want to, not sure anyone would care. Just allow people who don't care for the content to opt out just like any other silly stuff they have put in the game.

Have you never played Battlefield? The dog tags of the person who got you are shown in the killcam, and indeed you can steal others' dog tags as a mark of humiliation, by sneaking up behind them and gutting them with a melee attack.

Now granted, given what you and others are saying, I can see a case being made for at least reducing the size of the badges when they do show up. I can only assume that those who are complaining about the size are running at lower resolutions (less than 1080p), because from my point of view, they are fine. I also like that each player has their badge displayed where the ship compass icon would be, when watching the battle after they have been sunk; before, that was just an empty space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,410
[WOLF7]
Members
11,055 posts
22 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

The same purpose as in any other online game. The closest and most relevant analogy I can think of is EA's Battlefield series, which has literally hundreds of different dog tags that you can earn and use.

They are a mark of distinction, and players like to have something distinctive.

Except this isn't EA Battlefield, and really has little in common with most combat games.

The serious population in this game is tiny, I don't think I've ever played a combat game with this many casual players, but then most games aren't filled with us old folks either.

You can keep ignoring that fact or not, really doesn't matter, but considering all the things that need work in the game, and the complete lack of any call for this type of stuff, people are going to complain. 

Personally I think wasting time on more eye candy when the game itself needs work makes little sense, but what do I know.

I am however disgusted with what they've done to the training room, if they wanted to make it useless for testing, they succeeded.:Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles
17 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Have you never played Battlefield? The dog tags of the person who got you are shown in the killcam, and indeed you can steal others' dog tags as a mark of humiliation, by sneaking up behind them and gutting them with a melee attack.

Now granted, given what you and others are saying, I can see a case being made for at least reducing the size of the badges when they do show up. I can only assume that those who are complaining about the size are running at lower resolutions (less than 1080p), because from my point of view, they are fine. I also like that each player has their badge displayed where the ship compass icon would be, when watching the battle after they have been sunk; before, that was just an empty space.

No never played BF. Having a game mechanic that is intended to be humiliating to another player doesn't seem sporting. I suppose the same kind of people who like that idea probably like to collect the ears of people they have killed in combat. I have never met anyone who was in combat that wanted a trophy of the person they killed. Something a bit psychotic about trophy collectors IMHO.

The option to turn it off was a no brainer. Not sure what they were thinking, you can not add something to the game that 100% of players will like (usually). By "forcing" players to see this stuff it only engenders anger and contempt and neither is good for gameplay, sportsmanship, or business. It is a poorly implemented change to the game and needs addressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Personally I think wasting time on more eye candy when the game itself needs work makes little sense, but what do I know.

As I have stated elsewhere, the art department has nothing to do with fixing the game. As much as I agree with you that WoWS is in dire need of a re-optimization, I cannot begrudge them letting the art department work on such a system and implementing it into the game, when otherwise the artists wouldn't be doing anything useful.

2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

No never played BF. Having a game mechanic that is intended to be humiliating to another player doesn't seem sporting. I suppose the same kind of people who like that idea probably like to collect the ears of people they have killed in combat. I have never met anyone who was in combat that wanted a trophy of the person they killed. Something a bit psychotic about trophy collectors IMHO.

No offense, but you sound eerily like the talking heads who bemoan video games in general in some bid to get the public to stop buying them because...reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles
5 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

No offense, but you sound eerily like the talking heads who bemoan video games in general in some bid to get the public to stop buying them because...reasons.

Yeah, no. Again I am glad the patches are in the game for those who like that kind of stuff. The option to turn it off should be available for those who don't care for it. Pretty simple. I have never "bemoaned" anything nor given anyone but my friends advice on what games are worth playing. I could care less what someone else, especially strangers, do with their time or money.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah, no. Again I am glad the patches are in the game for those who like that kind of stuff. The option to turn it off should be available for those who don't care for it. Pretty simple. I have never "bemoaned" anything nor given anyone but my friends advice on what games are worth playing. I could care less what someone else, especially strangers, do with their time or money.

You directly compared in-game elements to real-world violence, and in doing so suggested that those who engage in such behavior are somehow mentally ill. That is flat-out disingenuous, not to mention scientifically baseless. That's the same kind of crap that Jack Thompson pulled, and he ended up disbarred and leaving public life in deep disgrace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,522
[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

I'm sorry for folks that are offended by them...

 

I don't think people are offended by them as much as finding them annoying, crass, and silly.  The overbearing, in-your-face presentation.  The questionable aesthetics of the emblems.  No option to turn it off.

The game doesn't need pointless bling.  Frankly, I would have thought this sort of thing would be beneath Wargaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles
15 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

You directly compared in-game elements to real-world violence, and in doing so suggested that those who engage in such behavior are somehow mentally ill. That is flat-out disingenuous, not to mention scientifically baseless. That's the same kind of crap that Jack Thompson pulled, and he ended up disbarred and leaving public life in deep disgrace.

Horse feces. I said that anyone who wanted trophies of kills was psychotic. BTW I am no expert but I think that my statement probably has scientific backing.. I am no scientist but even I know that is sick. If you think otherwise then maybe you have some  psychopathy going on..

BTW other than getting someone's gear, why would anyone want a virtual trophy of a virtual kill in a game? Kind of pathetic..

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Horse feces. I said that anyone who wanted trophies of kills was psychotic. BTW I am no expert but I think that my statement probably has scientific backing.. I am no scientist but even I know that is sick. If you think otherwise then maybe you have some  psychopathy going on..

The equine excrement is on you, not me.

In first-person shooters, people teabag the enemies they kill all the time, in any game where there is a crouch function. Battlefield went one step further by adding the dog tag mechanic. In your post, you directly compared these and other activities, "humiliating" the player, to the idea and act of taking trophies off dead bodies in actual war. And then you assert that anyone who does it is a psychopath. When I point this out, you then go one step further by alluding to me possibly being psychotic...which is a rather Quixotic thing to do on your part.

On the other hand, there is a strong and direct correlation between the rise in the popularity of video games and the decline in violent crime. It is still unclear if the former is the cause of the latter, but it is definitely not true that any behavior in video games has ever caused someone to go out and do bad things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,292 battles

I like them, But I was disappointed when the badges do not show up on the hull of your ships. :/ Seems kinda pointless to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,212
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,819 posts
19,625 battles
Just now, Goodwood_Alpha said:

The equine excrement is on you, not me.

In first-person shooters, people teabag the enemies they kill all the time, in any game where there is a crouch function. Battlefield went one step further by adding the dog tag mechanic. In your post, you directly compared these and other activities, "humiliating" the player, to the idea and act of taking trophies off dead bodies in actual war. And then you assert that anyone who does it is a psychopath. When I point this out, you then go one step further by alluding to me possibly being psychotic...which is a rather Quixotic thing to do on your part.

On the other hand, there is a strong and direct correlation between the rise in the popularity of video games and the decline in violent crime. It is still unclear if the former is the cause of the latter, but it is definitely not true that any behavior in video games has ever caused someone to go out and do bad things.

LOL whatever. Anytime a game mechanic is introduced to purposely humiliate the other player is stupid IMHO and probably has a basis in some mental disorder. It is silly. BTW don't give a damn about what is done in other games. I can play or not play whatever I please and think others should be free to do the same.

Never said video games were good nor bad, could care less. I have been a gamer in one fashion or another all my life and I have never been tempted to do anything violent because of a game (or tv for that matter). Not sure why you are attributing such crap to my posts.
I will go back to my ORIGINAL assertion that the mechanic is fine for those players who want it but there should be an option to disable it for those who do not like it for WHATEVER reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,410
[WOLF7]
Members
11,055 posts
18 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Seriously, I like having an extra bit of cosmetic distinction available in game, and WG managed to implement it in a non-invasive way. Custom flags wouldn't have worked so well as you rarely have a chance to see the flags of opposing ships. This basically accomplishes the same thing, but lets you use them as a calling card when you sink someone. I'm sorry for folks that are offended by them, but I actually find myself liking the addition of the badges to the game. 

Oddly enough, many people seem to consider them invasive when they are thrown in the players face, So I'm unclear how you came to that conclusion...:cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×