Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Asashio?

7 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,909 posts
10,686 battles

Noticed a tier 8 Asashio be  being tested in the new patch. Is this a new premium  or somehow fitting into the tech tree? They already have a t8 premium. Seems like a narrow niche to fill.

Members
603 posts
7,447 battles

I am more curious on what the Asashio can bring to us.

AFAIK Asashio is the lead ship of the Asashio class, which is after Shiratsuyu class but before Kagero class.

She has the same torp lay out as Shiratsuyu (better torp angle in game than that of Kagero), same gun layout as Kagero (2x3 12.7)

same top speed as a Kagero, but slightly lighter in tonnage (will it result in less hp?)

but the in game neither Kagero nor post-nerf shiratsuyu is top notch DD in their own tier, i wonder what Asashio can offer us that will make her interesting.

any speculation ?

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,948 posts
4,369 battles

I suspect the main reason she's being added is because people complained about Harekaze being a High School Fleet tie-in ship. Unless something has changed from when they teased her stats on Facebook, she's just a premium Kagero that is worse than the tech tree one.

Edited by Goose21891

Members
603 posts
7,447 battles

some stat tease,

surface detection 6.6... if you put both concealment mod + capt. skill will that become 5.28 ? that will be the stealthiest DD at high tier.

12.7 mm guns with 9 sec reload ? you will have the worst gun a T8 DD can have (basically a old T8 fubuki level of reload without the fire chance / alpha damage)

to compare how slow 9 sec is. if a Asashio and a Harekaze face each other and open up at the same time, Harekaze can fire off 3 more salvos before you can fire your 2nd salvo.

torp...seems to be standard 10km Type 93 that's also on Kagero, nothing special.

35kt, 640 turning radius, 3.6 sec rudder....ya, Kagero does it better

wonder how WG will change her to be more attractive.....if they gonna make it a Premium. So far I see a clone Kagero with almost nothing better other than 200mm more slealthy.

Members
1,772 posts
9,341 battles

Hey

The Asashio now has the Deep Water Torps of 20km range.  They nerf'd the detection of the torps from 700m to 900m which is a good thing.  Most testers seem to be taking the torpedo speed in crease of 5 kts which lowers the range to 16 km.  To me, I think this is going to be an interesting ship even though it can only hit BB's and CV's at present.

Pete

Members
131 posts
9,582 battles

A really bad idea to introduce yet another kind of Deep Water torpedo, and especially bad to limit it to damaging even fewer types of ships. This simply encourages a single tracked game play and does not help the game in general. There is NO NEED for another 20km torpedo. Simply making it a 10km 67knots torpedo that has lower detection but cannot hit DDs is enough of a differentiator. Heck, make it a 10 km 62 knots torp that cannot hit DDs but have a lower detection range will be enough.

• Cool 1

Members
1,772 posts
9,341 battles

Hey

I have to disagree on this.  I think the deep water torps could be a good counter to all of the BB camping these days.  I don't like the 20km range but think something around 15 km at 65 kts is doable and then if you take the torp speed boost and have them at say 13.5km at 70 kts might be ok.  Keep the DD detection low at around 5.5km, then maybe it will help getting those BB's more engaged.  It will never be a cap contester unless maybe it was given hydro or something to aid in dealing with other DD's, since it couldn't torp them.  It fits in good at T8 and I personally like the concept if they make it a bit more multifunctional.  I want one; I prefer to hunt ships more than caps since usually you get left out to die so much these days and everyone seems to sit back at base.

Pete

Sign in to follow this