Boinker

Duke of York strategy

10 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
678 battles

Hey there everyone. Just wanted to ask. I liked the look and layout of the doy so I ended up buying it when it came available. So after running through the cap senerios I was curious if anyone has come up with a down strategy for this ship that works. I am still (after What seems like forever) of playing it that I can't nail down what to do with this ship or which role to play. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Boinker. 

[O_O]
Members
4,936 posts
10,862 battles

DoY is a T7.

Your forum profile only shows you have 570 battles, which makes me wonder what your highest tier tech tree ship is?

DoY is inferior to her tech tree equivalent, but game experience could also be hampering your success at T7+.

Members
6 posts
678 battles

She is my 3rd T7 ship. 

Yes I understand the ship is inferior to the KGV and it counterparts. That is concerning, And yes. I have not been playing that long. All told I dont consider myself to suck. But it would be Nice to break into 60% WL ratio. and better then a 1.00 KD ratio. That is all. 

Thanks for the Reply

P.S. Maybe some battle strategy Guides are what I need.

Edited by Boinker

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,216 battles

Duke of York is a long ship that does not turn on a dime.  The HE is impressive.  My best game is when a line of reds go by and I hit each with HE.  This starts fires, damages modules, and increases silver score.  Astrosaint

Members
411 posts

I'd maintain my distance in her and stay with your fleet. She has poor rudder shift and slow gun traverse, she needs the range to compensate for these attributes. The hydro is nifty when forced into capping situations or if you find a DD surprise close to you. Keep shooting HE at a target that won't get away easily to stack your fire damage. I like the ship, but I'll probably become wiser to it when I get the KGV.

Members
6 posts
678 battles

Thanks for the replies Gentleman. Ill certainly put those elements into practice. 

After I get me a Bismark. I just love it when Cruisers and Alone BBs are feeling too cheeky for there own good.

shot-18.01.17_21.43.49-0876.jpg

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,100 posts
16,445 battles

You play DOY, KGV as far as a range you can while still having great hit chances.

DOY, KGV are exceedingly hard to citadel but their poor armor plating means they can be penetrated for good damage often.  Range is your friend as many people are not as accurate a shot with greater distance.  Though your citadel is waterline and hard to hit, you still must be paranoid about showing too much sides.  You may not get citadeled that way, but you will eat a lot more penetrations.  It's not so much as citadel protection with KGV, DOY.  It's lessening the amount of hits you take, because you do give up pens.

Use the good speed of the class.  Maintain the distance you are most effective fighting at.  You are not a knife fighter, brawler.  Fight at shorter ranges and you will end up giving up more hits, eating more penetrating damage.  Keep the likes of Scharnhorst at arm's length away and never get into short range fights with her.  You have the speed to do so and the more reliable gunnery to make the fight harder for Scharnhorst.  Almost all Scharnhorst players are Secondary Build, so their gun accuracy with more range is a lot less reliable.  My KGV OTOH, has ASM1 slotted and she's reliable at range.  DOY is the same, the only problem with her is she has a longer reload.  But gun use is still the same.

I stress that you have to heavily weigh the risks with KGV, DOY.  The most important thing is to SURVIVE into the late game.  It is in this setting that their RN BB HE is their most deadliest.  Everyone is more beat up.  Other BBs have been losing lots of HP and may be down to 1-0 Repair Party.  Their Damage Control party may even be on CD when you engage them.  Hit them with RN BB HE late game can be devastating if you stick some fires.

Target selection:  When you're slinging HE shells, take note of what is getting focus fired and contribute.  If you see some Cruisers pelting some BB with HE, setting fires, toss in your HE and help out.  It severely strains the consumables of the target BB.  You put out 2-3 fires from the Cruisers hitting you.  Your DCP active time has run out.  Then some RN BB lands an HE salvo setting 1-2 fires, and your DCP is on CD.  In a late match scenario where your HP was also low, this is lethal.  This is how you do your damage against higher tier, much better armored threats.  Keep this focus fire mentality in mind as it will serve you all the way into Conqueror.  Your RN BB in some ways, is really an Oversized Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,100 posts
16,445 battles
2 hours ago, Boinker said:

Thanks for the reply haze. Much appreciated. 

I'll try to put that into practice. Lol. Poor ship. 

I didn't mention it in my post but it's related to the poor plating of KGV, DOY.

BBs, CVs are not your greatest enemy.  It's CLs with 155mm or less, fitted with IFHE.  They will get a lot of penetrations on you regardless of your angle.  That's something I learned quick with KGV so DOY should have the same issue.  Your position and reliance on range while still accurately hitting is absolutely paramount.  It's not the BBs obliterating you.  CV air power is still dangerous.  It's the CLs hitting you relentlessly.  It's not the Fires killing you, it's simply their raw DPM against your poor plating.  They do steady, reliable damage on you easily.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
6 posts
678 battles

I was refering to poor ship at the Mercy of me. HAHA

Thanks for the Further info. Sense My playing in T8 as the Bismark is downright embarrassing I am putting that aside for some time until I can tell my butt from a hole in the ground. Frustrating. One week I make all the right choices and all is well. Next week I need to restart at T1 and go from there. Pitty. 

DoY time. Firestarting.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.