You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Auriana

SAIPAN-Pay to Win Ship

55 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,107 posts
7,559 battles
36 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Ranger was actually OK before Saipan

Ranger was always worse than Hiryu. It should just get 2/1/1, as a temporary fix before the carrier re-work (which is coming soon™)

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
1 minute ago, vak_ said:

Ranger was always worse than Hiryu. It should just get 2/1/1, as a temporary fix before the carrier re-work (which is coming soon™)

It was always worse, but it was playable worse. Ranger vs a competent Saipan is hardly playable at all.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,107 posts
7,559 battles
3 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

It was always worse, but it was playable worse. Ranger vs a competent Saipan is hardly playable at all.

It's still playable (both AS and strike Ranger can work against Saipan if played well). And it still sucks. The fact that Ranger is an awful ship isn't Saipan's fault.

Also, I'll once again stress that Saipan punishes bad CV players much harder than any other T7 CV. I suspect player population that grinds USN CV line is somewhat worse than for other carrier trees, though I don't have proof.

[C4C]
Members
5,162 posts
3,120 battles

Saipan has always been completely broken. Any 2 equal players in a Saipan vs non-Saipan battle, the Saipan will always in win, especially now thanks to it's broken disengage mechanic. But it's a premium, so it'll never be directly nerfed.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
362 posts
5,033 battles

I do agree that the disengage mechanic is broken on her. But of course I still use it, I feel some remorse doing it, well on that is a lie.

[WOLF6]
Members
816 posts
3,220 battles

I'm quite new to the game but I find the Saipan isn't difficult to counter...albeit with Japanese carriers. WIth the dogfighting skill the Kaga can mop the floor with the Saipan even if the skill is at an even match. I played a match this evening against one and depsite being a good player (he/she sunk 3...I sunk 4) the waves of strike aircraft couldn't be stopped. Two destroyers were cross dropped and blasted while those Corsairs were tied up with the Zeros strafing back and fourth. Perhaps the Kaga is an unfair comparison as it is also a premium which I believe to be equally powerful as Saipan with its far superior drop patterns and its benefit from the Dogfighting captain skill.

Hiryu and Ranger...I really don't know if that's another story. I have only played Ranger and have had fair success against the Saipan in it but nowhere near as with the Kaga. At least there is a ship out there that can counter it easily.

Another thing to ask/mention. Kaga's armour is vicious as is its secondary gun armament (of which Saipan has none). Destroyers inevidably seem to get wood when they spot a CV and begin to blast at it ignoring all else....until they get cross dropped or blasted by a cruiser they decided not to pay attention to. Anyone else experience this?

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
6,178 battles

Saipan is a broken abomination. WG took a tier 6 CV out of the tech tree and gimmicked the heck out of it to make $$ (which on its own is ok), they overtiered the ship to make more $$ and MAGNIFIED everything that is wrong with CVs.

They made the Saipan a skill based ship, which flies in the face of everything WG has done with their games. They are known for simplifying their games, making them easy to play so they'll appeal to the masses.

WG knows there is no simple way to fix CV's and thats why they are dragging their feet. They were told in CBT that CV's werent ready for release, many times, by many people.....WG doesnt want to admit they screwed the pooch on CV's.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
891 posts
8 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Tip about Fem: If you watch her videos, she spends most of her time microing her bombers. While this allows her to set-up for some devastating drops, it makes her very vulnerable to fighters because she's not paying as much attention to them. If you want to throw her, you kill her fighters while she's arranging a drop, and then go after the strike aircraft.

yeah, fem is all about the strike, and very little about spotting or air control.

I remember a game with her on my side that started in chat with cheers and 'we win cause fem', and ended with 5-6 people cursing her existence as she is one of the least team orientated 'good' CV players in the game and will happily let your team get torped all day so long as she gets her strikes in.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,441 posts
8,217 battles
11 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Tip about Fem: If you watch her videos, she spends most of her time microing her bombers. While this allows her to set-up for some devastating drops, it makes her very vulnerable to fighters because she's not paying as much attention to them. If you want to throw her, you kill her fighters while she's arranging a drop, and then go after the strike aircraft.

Trouble is, my own playstyle is not so different to her own, only mine is not as good :Smile_ohmy: fighters are just sacrificial scouts, shock absorbers, diversions.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
10 hours ago, vak_ said:

Decrease the Ranger's fighter reserves a little bit, and that would probably work. 202 Ranger was great at winning the air war. Make the player have to be a little cautious with the fighters, and that'd be a good load out.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

As a lot of folks have said, its the player, not the ship. I have gotten wrecked by Saipans, but I have also been able to wreck them. My biggest issue is this, you make a global CV change and some how the Saipan is exempt? Why, because she has less fighters per squad, and less reserves, well guess what, you still have a choice to lose that fighter or not. It just bothers me that WG easily applies stealth fire nerfs to premium dds, but doesnt touch the Saipan!?

[WGA]
Administrator, Retired Community Contributors
704 posts
13,233 battles

Shout out to @desmo_2, @Umikami, @poeticmotion and @Carrier_Lexington 

Reading this, this morning, has made me smile :D

Its well known I'm lazy with my fighters and I do prioritise dropping over defending, I'm trying to improve myself. TBH tho, when I play off stream I do play better as I'm not having to also watch the stream things too. 

On topic: I completely agree, the ship is very powerful in the right hands, but can be horrid in the wrong hands too. Its more about player skill than ship power imo. 

• Funny 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
23 hours ago, Femennenly said:

Its well known I'm lazy with my fighters and I do prioritise dropping over defending, I'm trying to improve myself. TBH tho, when I play off stream I do play better as I'm not having to also watch the stream things too. 

I didn't mean it as an insult. It's just, I see some captains going, "Oh gosh it's Fem, I lose" in the chat and I try to convince them to play, but some just shut down and don't contribute.
  I'm not saying you are a bad CV player at all, I'm just saying that you have a weakness in one area despite being strong in another.

My biggest weakness is I won't fully scout an area before I go for a strike, which means that a Minotaur or Grozovoi that hasn't been detected all game (or whose LKP marker is on the other side of the minimap) can be a big unwelcome surprise. I'm also probably much more aggressive with my planes than I should be.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
On 1/18/2018 at 6:50 AM, Dareios said:

she is one of the least team orientated 'good' CV players in the game and will happily let your team get torped all day so long as she gets her strikes in.

Then again, I basically played this way in Strike Lexington (back when that was a thing) and carried a team. I played this way in Strike Ranger, carried a team, and set my damage record which I still haven't beaten (yet).

Members
21,736 posts
5,713 battles
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:39 PM, vak_ said:

It's still playable (both AS and strike Ranger can work against Saipan if played well). 

I thought they did away with flight controls for USN CVs and there's just one option.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
20 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I thought they did away with flight controls for USN CVs and there's just one option.

Yep, Ranger is 112 only now. I would think it would do ok against Hiryu and Kaga with that, but vs Saipan, you need to be good and they need to be bad.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,642 posts
8,271 battles
On 1/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, Ducky_shot said:

If it's so OP, then go get one and play it and show us how op it is.... 

XIjVg5W.gif

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,642 posts
8,271 battles
On 1/18/2018 at 12:09 PM, Femennenly said:

Shout out to @desmo_2, @Umikami, @poeticmotion and @Carrier_Lexington 

Reading this, this morning, has made me smile :D

On topic: I completely agree, the ship is very powerful in the right hands, but can be horrid in the wrong hands too. Its more about player skill than ship power imo. 

ive seen some of your CV games, youre like the female version of Yamamoto with how good your strategy is with CVs, (also that was Yamamoto's thing right? good with strategy and carriers? correct me if im wrong)

Members
1,819 posts
On 1/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, cometguy said:

CV player skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CV. I have mopped the floor with a ton of Saipans in a strike Hiryu.

Thats not a valid argument.

a 50% player vs a 50% player the person with the stronger ship wins. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,511 posts
8,233 battles

I got my Saipan free last year -- one of the Xmas Gift crates I received -- so "X-Mas Prezent to Win"?  Wot!

[NGAGE]
Members
1,368 posts
7,770 battles
1 hour ago, Kconvey_1 said:

I've played against equally skilled CV players, and more skilled players. Lost and won to both categories. 

When it comes down to truly equally skilled players... it's not the CV's that determine much. It's the AA support. If my team has more AA, I win. I have the better base of clear air to fly in than you do. The loadouts and quirks of different CV's means less, while the AA means more.

[INTEL]
Members
9,755 posts
27,643 battles

The T9 planes at T7 mean that T5 ships, which are now de facto T7s, see T9 planes. It's ridiculous. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 hours ago, Kconvey_1 said:

No, it's a valid argument. A good player in a bad CV will do much better than a bad player in a good CV. Evaluating players of equal skill doesn't falsify that.

• Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
891 posts

Saipan pay to win. Hmmm. allow me to share the sapian game I was just in (not as a sapain)

shot-18_01.20_14_08.54-0129.thumb.jpg.64a16f70ae85c49f26ba094c800529e8.jpg

our AS saipan killed one plane. and im pretty sure it was a cleveland catapult plane. barely eked out the afk DD for XP. just drove up the middle of the map and hovered all the fighters over a single ship, waving hello to it.

checked the profile of the saipin player. this is his/her list of ships... 15 games, highest tech tree ship a t2. but lets buy the OP CV with no idea whatsoever how a CV works and ruin it for the other 11 players (not that the other premium ships have a worthy WR either. Sure, its a free market, that person should be allowed to buy whatever they want, etc, but THIS is why the CV hate. you can cover for a no-clue arizona, not so much for a CV.

Capture12.JPG.a58734bc0a7eebfb8565c7cb4ef71c8f.JPG

• Cool 1