You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Nicholas hull/armament upgrade pathway.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles

Just got into this ship yesterday, but have been knocking at the door for a few days now so naturally I went looking for how to play vids.

In those, I notice there is an upgrade pathway to a B hull, then sideways to upgrades/changes in torpedo and gun armament. I am well aware they are quite old from many a patch ago.

Now there is simply an upgrade to the B hull before the Tier 6 destroyer.

I am assuming that so many people (read, practically everyone) took both the side upgrades that WG decided to roll them all into one? Just out of interest, can someone with a passion for US destroyers clarify when and why this was done, and what I get (and lose) when I make that upgrade?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
815 posts
12,868 battles

If I remember correctly (I may not) this was done to make the Nicholas more competitive in her tier within the last few months. The guns are now more akin to the Farragut than the Clemson. All the other changes when you upgrade to the B-hull can be seen in the Modules view by opening the info sections along the right side of your screen (Survivability, Artillery, Torpedoes, etc.) and clicking once on the B-hull icon (on the left of the screen.) This will highlight all the changes for you. I hope this explanation is clear enough for you to make use of it.

Respects,

Am

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,530 posts
14,004 battles

Its been a while for me with Nicholas. I find the upgrade changes your guns from the flatter-firing guns of the Clemson to the lofty arcs of the DD after Nicholas. This ship transitions you to those guns and their effect.

Your AA also improves with B hull. 

I stayed with A hull because of the guns. Less effort to hit a target at range using the A hull guns. And since CV play at that tier isn't always good, I didn't worry about the less effective AA.

You should enjoy Nicholas. She's a good ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles
12 hours ago, Khafni said:

And since CV play at that tier isn't always good, I didn't worry about the less effective AA.

I seem to be getting absolutely murdered by carriers in my early games. Mind you, the bots have become very aggressive in the last few days, to the point where people are starting to make accusations that they're being controlled by WG unicums. The Nicholas with A armament feels almost worse than than an Emerald without smoke; the only advantage is that she can light fires.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,530 posts
14,004 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I seem to be getting absolutely murdered by carriers in my early games. Mind you, the bots have become very aggressive in the last few days, to the point where people are starting to make accusations that they're being controlled by WG unicums. The Nicholas with A armament feels almost worse than than an Emerald without smoke; the only advantage is that she can light fires.

Things have changed since I ran through Nicholas. If AA is a bigger threat then B hull is the right choice and learn to use the guns with high arc. You will have to at all tiers after Nicholas. The B hull will likely disrupt air attacks and you can bag one or two aircraft with that AA.

That's a choice on your part. Which is more worrisome? I found the gunnery more important but you may not.

Good luck! She is still a great little DD.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles
7 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I found the gunnery more important but you may not.

Gunnery is its own debate, with its own tastes according to users.

From reading and watching, I understand that the B guns fire significantly more rapidly. I understand that the arcs are much lazier and slower, but this can itself be leveraged as an advantage (firing over land masses), and the rate of fire offers definite benefits when gunfighting at close range with enemy destroyers (e.g. in caps, where the flight-time issues are reduced). In addition, my current main line is British cruisers so high shell arcs and low velocities downrange are a familiar thing (and the non-zero chance to light fires in the Nicholas is a bonus).

At some stage, one has to move up - and as you yourself said, if you're going past Tier 5 in American DDs (or if you want the Flame-Spitting Beast from Hell [Atlanta]), you need to know how to use those guns.

If I'm going to get focused aggressively by Tier 7 bot carriers, I want that AA; if ships are going to be coming after me solely because I'm a DD and the bots have been programmed to want my blood, I want DPM. I'm prepared to live with the ballistic issues. And so, on with the grind. :fish_viking:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,530 posts
14,004 battles

Excellent choice! 

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
10,761 battles

I love my nicholas.  B hull all the way.  Full 19pt AA captain, all the way.   Best AA game in her so far was 19 or 20 planes.  I can't quite remember. 

Supertester
193 posts
21,423 battles
12 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

I love my nicholas.  B hull all the way.  Full 19pt AA captain, all the way.   Best AA game in her so far was 19 or 20 planes.  I can't quite remember. 

My best in the Nicholas was 23 planes. I think it was a double T4 carrier match.

Best in any destroyer at all was Kidd with Nicholas captain, 53 planes. :D

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
10,761 battles
On 1/19/2018 at 9:31 PM, BoraHorzaGobuchul said:

Best in any destroyer at all was Kidd with Nicholas captain, 53 planes. :D

Finally beat you on this!  Kidd with Nicholas captain... 54 planes  :D 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles

Interesting question - this ship can load defensive-fire AA as a module (in place of speed boost IIRC). How many people take that? I would have thought Speed Boost would have been the far more useful thing all round, but I guess DFAA has its adherents. I should try it when I get home from vacation, though I suspect it is more of a point-self-defence thing than a fleet-AA-protection tool. Use it to lure enemy fighters into dogfights or pursuing your own bombers over your ship and then let fly. (Adequate communication with the friendly carrier captains is essential.)

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
10,761 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Interesting question - this ship can load defensive-fire AA as a module (in place of speed boost IIRC). How many people take that? I would have thought Speed Boost would have been the far more useful thing all round, but I guess DFAA has its adherents. I should try it when I get home from vacation, though I suspect it is more of a point-self-defence thing than a fleet-AA-protection tool. Use it to lure enemy fighters into dogfights or pursuing your own bombers over your ship and then let fly. (Adequate communication with the friendly carrier captains is essential.)

Full spec'd it can be really good for t4-5 planes.  My record is 19 planes in nicholas.   Even more importantly, and often overlooked, with a full distance spec to AA, your DF umbrella can make enemy bombers miss their target anywhere inside 7.2km from you because they become panic'd inside your DF cloud.   That can mean the difference between a friendly BB eating 3-4 torps and eating none.   Very useful to the team, though don't expect to be rewarded or even complimented for doing so.    I haven't run speed boost in nicholas in a full year.  never looked back. 

Supertester
193 posts
21,423 battles

I find defensive AA immensely useful occasionally and speed boost very rarely necessary. I load DF over speed boost on every ship where I have the choice.

Plus, it makes you the only T5 defensive fire capable ship. Carriers rarely expect it.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles

Thank you all for your advice.

Finished the Nicholas grind with the help of a day's premium time (five-starred the Killer Whale op) and, with some regret, moved her captain up into the Farragut tonight.

Celebrated the move by five-starring Killer Whale (in the stock Farragut!) for the second time in about four hours.

File closed, and goodnight to the Nicholas. She was a fun ship that served me well.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[RKLES]
Members
8,675 posts
10,809 battles
On 1/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, Khafni said:

Things have changed since I ran through Nicholas. If AA is a bigger threat then B hull is the right choice and learn to use the guns with high arc. You will have to at all tiers after Nicholas. The B hull will likely disrupt air attacks and you can bag one or two aircraft with that AA.

That's a choice on your part. Which is more worrisome? I found the gunnery more important but you may not.

Good luck! She is still a great little DD.

I personally have used the AA hull with BFT skill to increase rate of fire of main guns and AA and has been ok.