You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Maps and strategy?

15 comments in this topic

Members
4,714 posts
7,297 battles

Can someone steer me to the best site in their opinion where there are pics of the maps that show best tactics/strategies for playing them?  Lots of those for WoT is there a real good one for WoWs?  Give me a link if ya can or name of site. Tks a bunch. I am on a rather serious personal mission to get better and I now got some new ships that can get er done and have upgraded older ships I play. I am finally playing at over 50% for past 200 matches which is not a huge number of matches but I like that and want it to continue. I like winning. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and a thrill up my leg. :Smile_izmena:

Now days if ya see me coming I suggest it would be in your interest to just turn and run.:Smile_teethhappy: (I can be such a jerk..hah)

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,093 battles

Since there's no set spawns and both team can even have uneven spawns. There's no "set" strategy for any map. Better to get familiar with the height of Islands and just look at allt he islands on map and imagine what fields of fire you can get hiding amongst them.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,040 posts
11 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Can someone steer me to the best site in their opinion where there are pics of the maps that show best tactics/strategies for playing them?  Lots of those for WoT is there a real good one for WoWs?  Give me a link if ya can or name of site. Tks a bunch. I am on a rather serious personal mission to get better and I now got some new ships that can get er done and have upgraded older ships I play. I am finally playing at over 50% for past 200 matches which is not a huge number of matches but I like that and want it to continue. I like winning. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and a thrill up my leg. :Smile_izmena:

Now days if ya see me coming I suggest it would be in your interest to just turn and run.:Smile_teethhappy: (I can be such a jerk..hah)

WOWS does not have the kind of following WOT does. Most of the sites are out of date or unreliable.

And there aren't really any outside discussion forums other than Reddit. Just another flag about who plays the game.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,205 posts
8,352 battles

I have the same issue.   Positioning is my biggest challenge.   In lieu of any documented guides, I try to watch a good portion of Twitch, and armchair-quarterback their matches.    I also recommend Zath's video series.   He provides commentary and critiques, which I can then try to remember and incorporate into my future games.  

But in the meantime, where to go????    MM has recently been spawning me on the very edge of the team.   And, the spawn is light (meaning one other ship with me).    The RobotCHICKEN in me wants to run and huddle with the masses.   But... I've got to protect the flank and take one for the team, right?     That's what I usually end up doing, and usually get focused quickly.

Members
4,714 posts
7,297 battles
5 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

I have the same issue.   Positioning is my biggest challenge.   In lieu of any documented guides, I try to watch a good portion of Twitch, and armchair-quarterback their matches.    I also recommend Zath's video series.   He provides commentary and critiques, which I can then try to remember and incorporate into my future games.  

But in the meantime, where to go????    MM has recently been spawning me on the very edge of the team.   And, the spawn is light (meaning one other ship with me).    The RobotCHICKEN in me wants to run and huddle with the masses.   But... I've got to protect the flank and take one for the team, right?     That's what I usually end up doing, and usually get focused quickly.

Ya and what do you do when that happens....decision time.  Stay on that lonely flank with that other ship to fight that flank or cross map to get in with main fleet?  Decisions decisions.

Members
4,714 posts
7,297 battles
9 minutes ago, awiggin said:

WOWS does not have the kind of following WOT does. Most of the sites are out of date or unreliable.

And there aren't really any outside discussion forums other than Reddit. Just another flag about who plays the game.

I think someone out there would or could create a map guide with at least some "best tactics" for maps. I know WoWs is different from WoT but seems some map info and how to play them could be done....to some degree. I could do it but if I did all who followed my suggestions would die. :Smile_sad:

[WOLF2]
Members
1,205 posts
8,352 battles

I always have that hope when I'm covering the weak flank - my Priority Target shows 8, as I'm back-peddling.  That means everyone EXCEPT four ships is aiming at me.    Surely the rest of my team can walk through those four and cross-fire on those aiming at me.   I'm stalling 3/4 of the reds!

NOPE.    Rest of my team is behind an island at C, opposite side of the map.     Frak.

Edited by DiddleDum

[WOLF2]
Members
1,205 posts
8,352 battles

You could post to the Tactics and Strategies section.   Maybe a post series called "SHOULD I BE DOING THIS?"

Display a map, with course of action.   Not sure if it'd help, but you might get some different opinions.

Example:   When I'm in a DD on the Fault map, I always run to this point, and I always encounter heavy resistance.   Where do you typically go in a DD.  SHOULD I BE DOING THIS???

Fault Map.JPG

[TBW]
Members
7,091 posts
13,027 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

This is all I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+of+warships+map+tactics

Members
1,495 posts
3,718 battles
30 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

You could post to the Tactics and Strategies section.   Maybe a post series called "SHOULD I BE DOING THIS?"

Display a map, with course of action.   Not sure if it'd help, but you might get some different opinions.

Example:   When I'm in a DD on the Fault map, I always run to this point, and I always encounter heavy resistance.   Where do you typically go in a DD.  SHOULD I BE DOING THIS???

Fault Map.JPG

No .......................always go to the other side its a fun death pit full of sorrow and salty tears.

Members
4,714 posts
7,297 battles
9 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Took a look. Not bad.  Not bad at all. Tks a lot. Hmmmm...wonder why I could not find that. Typical of me. Carry on mate!

Edited by dmckay

[TBW]
Members
7,091 posts
13,027 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Took a look. Not bad.  Not bad at all. Tks a lot. 

Unfortunately they don't have them for all maps.

Members
4,714 posts
7,297 battles
19 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Unfortunately they don't have them for all maps.

It still helps. WoT has a bunch of these kinda sites.  Many just maps with data on them...etc. Don't play it much anymore however.

Edited by dmckay

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
1 hour ago, DiddleDum said:

Fault Map.JPG

That is a proper play for a DD, only 1)make sure you have support...usually a couple of cruisers and a BB will spawn there and 2)make sure you have smoke and/or an escape route planned if enemy has local superiority.

The east flank is more problematic because the islands isolate it from the rest of the map.