You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Anyone else excited about the French BBs?

99 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,301 posts

I was just looking over the French BB line stats, and it looks like they are going to be a ton of fun!  It might be hard for me to pick out just a couple "keepers."  The Tier 10 also looks like it's going to be a monster.  I wasn't sure I was interested in any more Tier 10 BBs, but this one could change my mind.

We'll have to see how they perform in game vs how they are on paper, but I'm looking forward to them!

Which is going to be the Tier 8 though?  Richilieu or Gascoin?

• Cool 1

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, renegadestatuz said:

I am very excited for them!

Me too! I am up to T7 with the cruisers, and cannot wait for them. I just wish I had gotten the Dunkerque in a Santa Crate so I could prep a Captain.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,652 posts
8,016 battles
3 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Anyone else excited about the French BBs?

no and never look at the freeloader brit bbs

Lol freeloader Brit BBs?

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,647 battles

Yeah they look fun even if they aren't going to be the strongest ships in the game.  More variety is always good.

[MEIST]
Members
1,002 posts
3,746 battles

I am very excited for them! I have the Dunkerque, De Grasse and on the T6 cruiser. I have the Captain ready to start with experience.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,332 posts
11,284 battles

Yep, they look like a fun line in parts and they have some great variety.

Quad turret BB's? Check (T6 and up)

All forward gun arrangement? Check

Good speed through most of the line? Check

Comfortable 'quality of life' with traverse etc.? Check

It's been too long since the last worthwhile line release (RN BB in September) so after a 5 month hiatus it's nice to see WG back in the saddle.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,089 battles

I was until I saw the turret configuration on the Tier X. I'll probably still grind it out but not nearly as excited as I was before. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,763 posts

I am looking forward to the bird cage bottom fleet.  A sizable chunk of the french line is derived from random napkin doodles and reject Rorschach cards compounded with just as tangible weapon designs and layouts.  But, on the plus side when I set one on fire I can yell, "French Fries!"

• Bad 2

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,720 posts
4,278 battles

I await their arrival into the game with eagerness.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,301 posts
1 hour ago, NCC81701 said:

I was until I saw the turret configuration on the Tier X. I'll probably still grind it out but not nearly as excited as I was before. 

What's wrong with the Tier X turret config?  Uses the French funky quad turrets.  A,X configuration so it won't be a stupid bow-camping idiot ship.  Looks fine to me.

Love the fact that its loaded with secondaries with good range.  Hoping they turn out to be good.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,403 posts
4,550 battles

Only if they come with white flags

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,495 posts
2,090 battles
37 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

What's their specialty again? Anemic guns and no armor? 

Depends on the tier. The 12" gun is a low-tier 12" gun, expect nothing great.

The 13.4" gun is shite. Plain and simple. That's why you get so many of them, starting from tier V and going to tier VII.

The 15" gun is quite strong, the second strongest ever made. It's between the German 380/52 and he Italian 381/50 in strength, but closer to the German weapon. 

The 17" gun on the tier X is absurdly powerful. In terms of raw penetration, it should be the strongest gun in the game. It can overmatch 30mm armor, unlike most 16" guns, but not 32mm armor like an 18.1" gun. It also has a 24 second firing cycle, pr 2.5 rpm, so it actually beats Yamato in shell output.

Armor is going to be pretty crappy until tier VIII, as Richelieu has fairly strong armor (330mm sloped, equal to 343mm), so does Alsace (350mm sloped, equal to 370mm), and the tier X has a 400mm belt (sloped, is equal to 441mm)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,060 posts
16,404 battles

Not that excited about the line but I do want the 16-gun Tier VII.  I also wanted to have Richelieu in the game for ages.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,089 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

What's wrong with the Tier X turret config?  Uses the French funky quad turrets.  A,X configuration so it won't be a stupid bow-camping idiot ship.  Looks fine to me.

Love the fact that its loaded with secondaries with good range.  Hoping they turn out to be good.

A-X Configuration means you loose 1/2 of your fire power in the current bow-camping meta. For all current TX BBs, you still get 6 guns when bow-on, for the France you only get 4. So unless the forward firing angle of the X turret is very good, DPM on the guns are very good, or the agility of the ship is very good, you'd have problems against other TX BBs. WG might be able to balance it and it's still be good but I'm just recognizing that there are a lot of potential problems with this configuration that isn't exactly easy to solve. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,060 posts
16,404 battles

The Engine Boost gimmick is actually useful IMO.  Being able to run from a collapse to fight later in the match is a big deal, IMO, because lots of BBs get sunk when their flank group goes down.  If you're not fast enough, you get overtaken.  Also, BBs rushing to a fight in time is a big factor.  The ability to bring BB-caliber weapons to a gunfight sooner rather than later will always be useful.  On the flip side, 21kts, 27kts just doesn't cut it.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,301 posts
33 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

A-X Configuration means you loose 1/2 of your fire power in the current bow-camping meta. For all current TX BBs, you still get 6 guns when bow-on, for the France you only get 4. So unless the forward firing angle of the X turret is very good, DPM on the guns are very good, or the agility of the ship is very good, you'd have problems against other TX BBs. WG might be able to balance it and it's still be good but I'm just recognizing that there are a lot of potential problems with this configuration that isn't exactly easy to solve. 

I don't see a lot of bow-camping going on these days.  I do see some, but much less than in the past.  Usually those people get wiped out pretty quick.   New introductions to the game, particularly the British BBs have made bow-camping a sub-optimal tactic in many (not all) cases.

But I'm always happy when I see people stubbornly clinging to bow-camping.  Makes it much easier to kill a non-maneuvering warship.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,089 battles

Even when it's not bow camping, you have 8x 431mm guns, vs 12x 406mm-419mm or  9x 457mm-461mm guns. The ship is under gunned, again doesn't mean it can't be balanced but this turret configuration and gun combination have more balance issues than other lines and other potential turret configuration and gun combinations.