You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hearsel

Diana gun ports

14 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
17 posts

I think it is Diana , get so confused between Aurora.
Has anyone noticed what appears to be several 100mm guns poking out of the hull?

They don't function, so what are they and if they are guns why don't they fire?

Since nobody even knows wth I'm asking I will clarify:

Diana.JPG

Edited by Hearsel
Clarification

Alpha Tester
2,195 posts

Those are gun ports for 75 mm guns. Diana had 24 in total, but for some reason the in-game version has only 12. Balance purposes I guess, but then again it's a garbage ship anyway (at least according to @LittleWhiteMouse's review), so even if it had 12 more secondaries it probably won't change anything.

Members
2,143 posts
10,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Those are gun ports for 75 mm guns. Diana had 24 in total, but for some reason the in-game version has only 12. Balance purposes I guess, but then again it's a garbage ship anyway (at least according to @LittleWhiteMouse's review), so even if it had 12 more secondaries it probably won't change anything.

I don't recall the review saying it's garbage (having just re-read it). The review said rather:
"she's not a terribly powerful cruiser by any stretch of the word.  Still, the Diana is a fun if simple ship and her rarity makes her fun if only for the novelty."

That's not saying it's garbage, but rather meh. It used to be much stronger but changes to captain skills and new ships have left it powercrept into mediocrity.  However, it's not garbage, and nowhere in Mouse's review does it say that it is. 

Alpha Tester
2,195 posts
2 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

I don't recall the review saying it's garbage (having just re-read it). The review said rather:
"she's not a terribly powerful cruiser by any stretch of the word.  Still, the Diana is a fun if simple ship and her rarity makes her fun if only for the novelty."

That's not saying it's garbage, but rather meh. It used to be much stronger but changes to captain skills and new ships have left it powercrept into mediocrity.  However, it's not garbage, and nowhere in Mouse's review does it say that it is. 

Here it is:

Diana, Tier 2 Soviet Union
X5WhVJ2.jpg
Availability on NA Server:  ONLINE STORE, Also available for doubloons.
Quick Summary:  An eight-gun Pallada-class protected cruiser with a large hit point pool for her tier.
Release History:  First on Sale from May 25th to September 6th, 2016.  Sold in various Black Friday bundles 2016. Sold December 2nd to 9th, 2016. Sold December 23rd to January 2nd, 2017.  Sold July 7th to 10th, 2017.  Available Black Friday 2017 from November 22nd to 27th, 2017.  Became available for doubloons on December 20th, 2017.
Angry YouTuber Review:  GARBAGE

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Same with the Albany.  She has several 6-pdr quick firing Hotchkiss guns in casemate and turret.  Anti sub and torpedo boat - too small for anti-surface use in WoWS.  Too bad though they'd penetrate 6mm with a range of 3.7km at 25 / minute.

Members
2,143 posts
10,628 battles
8 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Here it is:

Ah, wasn't in the original article you linked, then, hence my disagreement.  I now retract that in acknowledgement of data.  To be fair, though, none of the T2 cruisers are any good.  I miss Diana back before the powercreep when it was good.

Members
2,143 posts
10,628 battles
15 minutes ago, surratus said:

Same with the Albany.  She has several 6-pdr quick firing Hotchkiss guns in casemate and turret.  Anti sub and torpedo boat - too small for anti-surface use in WoWS.  Too bad though they'd penetrate 6mm with a range of 3.7km at 25 / minute.

Indeed, though I don't think (I could be wrong) anything has less than 8mm of armour in wows, plus the damage would be around 163 for a full pen.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
6 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Indeed, though I don't think (I could be wrong) anything has less than 8mm of armour in wows, plus the damage would be around 163 for a full pen.

Tier 2 and 3 DD's and most tier 3 CL's superstructure, bow and stern plate is 6mm.  But I can see why WG didn't want to activate the smaller secondaries.  It must have made for interesting discussions about including them in the model.  I'm glad they were included even if not used.  I've often wondered how WG determined damage values.  Is there a formula for damage?

Members
2,143 posts
10,628 battles
6 minutes ago, surratus said:

Tier 2 and 3 DD's and most tier 3 CL's superstructure, bow and stern plate is 6mm.  But I can see why WG didn't want to activate the smaller secondaries.  It must have made for interesting discussions about including them in the model.  I'm glad they were included even if not used.  I've often wondered how WG determined damage values.  Is there a formula for damage?

It's tied to shell weight and bursting charge as far as I know. 6 lb guns you can compare to the 12 lb guns on Tachibana, and halve the damage, I suppose. I think someone may have done the calculations, but I don't remember where. Of course, there's always the HE option.  Somehow Diana 75mm secondaries have better HE alpha than Tachibana's 76mm main guns.  Go figure.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

Alpha Tester
2,195 posts
41 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Diana is a fun ship and the secondaries are awesome.

Wish she had all 24 secondaries though. No idea why WG chose to model the sponsons with their hatches closed, leaving only 12 secondary guns on the main deck operable. Diana could've been a Russian Mikasa.

Members
1,495 posts
3,718 battles
1 hour ago, Wolcott said:

Wish she had all 24 secondaries though. No idea why WG chose to model the sponsons with their hatches closed, leaving only 12 secondary guns on the main deck operable. Diana could've been a Russian Mikasa.

same for the emden

shot-18.01.17_14.30.45-0523.jpg

Edited by abyssofthetriffid

Members
1,495 posts
3,718 battles
4 hours ago, Hearsel said:

I think it is Diana , get so confused between Aurora.
Has anyone noticed what appears to be several 100mm guns poking out of the hull?

They don't function, so what are they and if they are guns why don't they fire?

shot-18.01.17_15.38.26-0866.jpg