12 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Members
280 posts
4,786 battles

Greetings fellow ship enthusiasts!

When reading the notes for the update, I saw mention of a new premium, USS Monaghan. I can only assume this is DD-354, a Farragut-class destroyer with a celebrated war career, firing some of the first shots of the Pacific War at Pearl Harbor. 

However, she and another of her sisters, USS Hull, would meet their end in Typhoon Cobra, December 18, 1944. She capsized after running out of fuel, and took all but six of her crew of 100 with her.

Well, according to official records.

According to the book Halsey's Typhoon by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin, there was a seventh survivor of the loss of Monaghan: Radar Maintenance Technician Keith Abbott. Abbott transferred to Monaghan at the last minute, and according to the book, his papers got bungled up in the Navy bureaucratic machine. Hence the term "ghost sailor", as he was not "officially" assigned to the destroyer at the time.

On the subject of Typhoon Cobra, there are other books out there, one by Bruce Henderson that allegedly debunks Abbott's tale. I have only read Drury and Clavin's account, so I do not know the details.

If anyone out there has read the book Down to the Sea and knows about this, I'm interested to hear Henderson's claim. Otherwise, just a fun fact for the masses about a ferocious storm and the three destroyers and 790 men it took in its fury.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,916 posts
1,564 battles

Legendary Commander "Bull" Halsey

• Special powers all buff AA
  • Permanently assigned to Monaghan
  • Special power - "Questionable Judgement": When typhoon strikes in-game, 50% chance of friendly fleet sinking, ending game immediately.
  • Special Power - "Political Liability":  If player owns Enterprise, she gets 'scrapped' after each mission, requiring 50K credits to 'unlock'.
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,535 posts
14,033 battles

I need to read the back story on the ship. It is interesting. Thanks!

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,711 battles

Thanks for sharing this Mutt! Very interesting and any first hand account of what being in a typhoon is like would be informative. I'm going to have to check those out. It would really be interesting to see the Typhoon Cobra incident made into a movie.

[SALVO]
Members
19,010 posts
19,219 battles
4 hours ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Thanks for sharing this Mutt! Very interesting and any first hand account of what being in a typhoon is like would be informative. I'm going to have to check those out. It would really be interesting to see the Typhoon Cobra incident made into a movie.

Why must nearly every premium ship (for existing navies) these days be a clone of an already existing ship class?  The USN had many more DD classes than those already in the game?  Why wasn't one of those used, instead of cloning a Farragut?  Cloned Fletcher, cloned Farragut. Cloned Nagato.  Cloned Amagi.  See a pattern here?

[O_O]
Members
797 posts
5,125 battles
15 hours ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Very interesting and any first hand account of what being in a typhoon is like would be informative. 

These are the bridge voice recorder logs for MV El Faro from the watch prior to and during its sinking.  Having stood the same watch in less-dire conditions and having had very similar conversations, I can only describe the record as gut-wrenching.

Cobra had significantly lower barometric pressure but lower sustained winds, and El Faro was 10x the size of these destroyers.  Terrifying probably doesn't even begin to describe the experience.

-R

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,646 posts
4,251 battles
12 hours ago, Crucis said:

Why must nearly every premium ship (for existing navies) these days be a clone of an already existing ship class?  The USN had many more DD classes than those already in the game?  Why wasn't one of those used, instead of cloning a Farragut?  Cloned Fletcher, cloned Farragut. Cloned Nagato.  Cloned Amagi.  See a pattern here?

It's probably because it is cheaper to send out a clone than to design a new ship from the keel up.

Awhile back, I recall there was a fun idea to give veterans the USS Tracy...who has the callsign of DD-214 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tracy_(DD-214)

[SALVO]
Members
19,010 posts
19,219 battles
18 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

It's probably because it is cheaper to send out a clone than to design a new ship from the keel up.

Awhile back, I recall there was a fun idea to give veterans the USS Tracy...who has the callsign of DD-214 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tracy_(DD-214)

Oh, I know that it's probably cheaper for WG, but it's just damned CHEAP to not do new models and give the players totally new ships as opposed to cheaping out and cloning everything in sight.

What's next?  Dolly the (cloned) Sheep as a captain?  :cap_viking:

[FOXEH]
Members
280 posts
4,786 battles
8 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Thanks for sharing @SomemuttupNorth! Do you know how she got her name? I wonder if she has any link to the Irish county 

Like all US Navy destroyers, she's named after a heroic individual in their service or similar. In this case, she was the 2nd ship named for Ensign John R. Monaghan, on the USS Philadelphia (C-4). He was killed defending a wounded officer from Samoan natives in 1899. The first Monaghan, DD-32, was a Paulding-class destroyer built in 1911, operated by the US Coast Guard until 1930

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.