Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Fletcher Frustrations

13 comments in this topic

Members
627 posts

Another Fletcher post...

I'm curious if anyone else feels like the Fletcher loses the potato lottery more often than other ships. I haven't had it for long, I'll admit, but the frustration level is getting pretty high. I've managed a whopping 16.7% win rate, but I'm right at the server average on experience and 10k higher than server average on damage. I've had games with 100k damage and they were all losses. In one game, my Fletcher and a Shimakaze were left to fend off 7 enemy ships while the rest of our team valiantly hid behind some islands (they capped one area and left the rest to 2 DDs - and we did cap the other two areas for a time, but we couldn't hold them). Between us we got a quarter of a million damage points, but we still lost because the Potato Force was strong with us that day.

I'm beginning to wonder if MM doesn't have a thing for this ship, or if it's just cursed when I'm playing it. Anyone else noticed this kind of thing?

Edited by Grflrgl

[TNG-2]
Members
396 posts
12,987 battles

I tried to look at your stats for a sign of what might be happening and it looks like you have them hidden (or it is the site that is down). The Fletcher is a great DD, a real powerhouse at that tier. You may be having issues with your approach to the matches if you find yourself struggling. Consider the strengths of the Fletcher: it is a cap controller with great guns up close and very good detection. If you are focusing on getting damage alone, you may be approaching the match incorrectly. As an example, if a player consistently yolo rushes an enemy BB in a Fletcher, that player might get 60-70k damage and a kill before they die yet consistently lose matches. I would consider this a misplay. Would you be able to expand on your normal tactical approach to a match?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,624 posts
17,064 battles

Trade that Fletcher for a Z-46; you'll never look back.

[AXANR]
Members
3,433 posts
18,822 battles

I have ships like that, or runs in a ship like that. ISmall sample sizes. statistical probability is a funny thing. Play enough games and your win rate will become more of a reflection of how well you're playing the ship. 

Members
627 posts
24 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I'm on the Z-23 at the moment, and grinding my way upward.

Members
1,783 posts
15,228 battles

Fletcher is a great DD, and sometimes the MM force is not with you, potato quota is high and no matter how much you carry your team on your back... ya still lose.  Play a bit more, see if it turns around.  We all have those ships that seem to be cursed, you perform well, but can’t buy a win.

Members
627 posts
39 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

I tried to look at your stats for a sign of what might be happening and it looks like you have them hidden (or it is the site that is down). The Fletcher is a great DD, a real powerhouse at that tier. You may be having issues with your approach to the matches if you find yourself struggling. Consider the strengths of the Fletcher: it is a cap controller with great guns up close and very good detection. If you are focusing on getting damage alone, you may be approaching the match incorrectly. As an example, if a player consistently yolo rushes an enemy BB in a Fletcher, that player might get 60-70k damage and a kill before they die yet consistently lose matches. I would consider this a misplay. Would you be able to expand on your normal tactical approach to a match?

In general terms, I approach as a scout first and try to get the lay of the land relative to enemy forces. Then I'll try to work the cap, either to take it, control is, or defend it, as needed. Then, if all things work out, I will go hunting enemy big guns. But I've gotten stuck in a lot of defensive situations with the Fletcher - far more than any other (with the possible exception of the Z-23) - and had to play running defense against an advancing opponent.

And I don't have any idea how to hide my stats, so it could be the site is having problems.

[WOLF1]
Members
620 posts
13,130 battles
32 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Pretty much this and the reason being hydro.  When you face german dds especially at 9 and 10 on the enemy they have the hydro advantage. For example you spot a german dd and you are in your fletcher, you both use smoke, he pops hydro and can see u and shoot u, you cant shoot back.  The gimmicks keep on coming and the counters don't exist.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
1 minute ago, knice_destroyer said:

Pretty much this and the reason being hydro.  When you face german dds especially at 9 and 10 on the enemy they have the hydro advantage. For example you spot a german dd and you are in your fletcher, you both use smoke, he pops hydro and can see u and shoot u, you cant shoot back.  The gimmicks keep on coming and the counters don't exist.

:Smile_great:

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,624 posts
17,064 battles
5 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

I'm on the Z-23 at the moment, and grinding my way upward.

Then by all means keep right on grinding because you have a helluva prize waiting!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,624 posts
17,064 battles
5 hours ago, knice_destroyer said:

Pretty much this and the reason being hydro. 

You're right, the Hydro is nice and very helpful, but for me the difference was the guns; those German 128's just cannot be beat. Many, many citadels on cruisers will give ample testimony on that!

Members
116 posts
13,753 battles
6 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

In general terms, I approach as a scout first and try to get the lay of the land relative to enemy forces. Then I'll try to work the cap, either to take it, control is, or defend it, as needed. Then, if all things work out, I will go hunting enemy big guns. But I've gotten stuck in a lot of defensive situations with the Fletcher - far more than any other (with the possible exception of the Z-23) - and had to play running defense against an advancing opponent.

The Fletch and the PA Chung Mu are both great boats...  one thing you my look at is what you are doing to screen/control/kill the other DDs and keep them away from the capital ships.   My damage output tends to the low side mainly because this is a co focus to cap control for me with hunting big guns a secondary priority.   Also it sounds like you have a tendency to become isolated from team and support so you might look at where you are positioned and what you were doing when this happens.   

Potatos are out there (I am one more often then I would like) and we all have had teams that are full of them.   No way to avoid it for stretches (especially on the weekends).  All you can do is look at your tactics and find ways to have a greater influence beyond the basic measures of taking a cap and/or dealing damage.   This is what I'm struggling with myself in the Hindenburg. 

Sign in to follow this