You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Good bye Santa and thanks

37 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
7,510 posts
13,021 battles

Great year for the Santa crates. They will be missed but frankly am glad they are gone as I spent way too much on them because they were so good. Thank you WG for giving such great rewards in them. I know we paid real money but the value was way over the cost  (usually - a few stinker crates). 

Looking forward to next year. I am starting a separate savings account (sort of) just for the Santa crates.  I will be ready... :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 9

[ADR]
Members
4,341 posts
14,073 battles

Got so many ships from the crates,  some great, some meh, but they brought back the Atlanta and I snatched it up. waited 2 forever for it, and Love it

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Great year for the Santa crates

Yes it was and thanks again for your gifts you gave me, I hope next time I can return the favor.

While I was happy with what I got, I do wish I would have gotten some ships, it would of made my year to get the Dunkerque, or the De Grasse or both.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[PVE]
Members
1,673 posts
7,160 battles

Still think last years crates were slightly better, had more variety of camos, more chances for premium time which seemed to be a tad bit elusive this year and more doubles on the ships which were replaced with Dubs/Gold.

All in all this year was not bad.

By the way I purchased one last batch of 20 last night before the server went down for the update and did not have time to open them, from whats been said what is to be in them depended on when you opened them not when you purchased them....so now that the Santa Crates are over and done with and out of the Premium shop....does that mean my crates will contain what....nothing? lol

[PVE]
Members
7,510 posts
13,021 battles
3 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

Still think last years crates were slightly better, had more variety of camos, more chances for premium time which seemed to be a tad bit elusive this year and more doubles on the ships which were replaced with Dubs/Gold.

By the way I purchased one last batch of 20 last night before the server went down for the update and did not have time to open them, from whats been said what is to be in them depended on when you opened them not when you purchased them....so now that the Santa Crates are over and done with and out of the Premium shop....does that mean my crates will contain what....nothing? lol

The contents were set at purchase. Doesn't matter when you open them you will get the same stuff.

[BS]
Members
1,230 posts
7,170 battles

Next year they need to wait a few more days to catch one more payday, they'll make more money. I get paid tomorrow, i would've bought 50$ more of crates at least. Sucks getting paid every 2 weeks, lol.

Oh well, I have 350 frosty firs/120 papa papa's  to make the musashi grind a little faster. I think i have 40ish of the other special flags too. I ground out the Missouri in 4-5 days stacking those, felt like a waste but what can you do. Might as well slap on the dragon flag to take advantage of all that XP as well.

EJ

[PVE]
Members
1,673 posts
7,160 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The contents were set at purchase. Doesn't matter when you open them you will get the same stuff.

If that's the case then no hurry to open them, maybe I'll wait till later in the year and have xmas in July!

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Great year for the Santa crates. They will be missed but frankly am glad they are gone as I spent way too much on them because they were so good. Thank you WG for giving such great rewards in them. I know we paid real money but the value was way over the cost  (usually - a few stinker crates). 

Looking forward to next year. I am starting a separate savings account (sort of) just for the Santa crates.  I will be ready... :Smile_teethhappy:

31 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

I think the crates were better this year. Yes, there seemed to be a bit less premium time, but the way ships were set up to cut down on duplicates more than made up for that IMO.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,073 battles

The only ship I got from 20 crates was a Huang Meh.  Might as well have given me a lump of coal.  Grumble grumble grumble.  

[NGAGE]
Members
2,871 posts
7,769 battles

I spent a lot, got a lot.

Belfast/Kutuzov are a blast to play as are the Alabama/LoYang/Kidd. Plus a variety of others I haven't hardly had a chance to play yet!

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I agree, I spent way too much this year. Over all I feel like the crates were better this year than last, except premium time was very rare. I really wanted the LoYang for ranked, which I got. I also got Gallant, Kami, and Viking long boat, 6months prem time, 12k dubs. I was so glad the camo was actually useful this year.

[NGAGE]
[NGAGE]
Members
72 posts
8,019 battles

It seemed like I got a little more than double the value of what I spent on crates this year so I thought it was good.

Thank you WG.

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
1 post
1,105 battles

Bought 40 $3 dollar boxes, WG blessed me and dropped 8 ships for me, 7k doubloons, 90 day premium and flags, camos for the rest.
Money spent: $96 
Ships received: Dunkerque, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Okthonik, Giulio Cesare, Arizona, Anshan, Błyskawica
Total doubloon worth(ships+7k doubloons) not counting premium time, flags and camo= 53700 doubloons= $215

Members
65 posts
750 battles

As I newer player and first go around with santa crates I was hesitant at first but got bit by the bug to get more and more and more. All in all I ended up getting 80 small gifts, 40 medium gifts, and 25 large gifts (165 total) which netted me the following:

300 Equal speed Charlie flags

400 Papa flags

300 Zulu Hotel flags

600 Zulu flags

90 Dragon flags

150 Ourobos flags

60 Hydra flags

75 Wyvern flags

75 Red dragon flags

470 Frosty fir camo

105 Type 59 camo

130,000 Free XP

18,600 Doubloons

and 7 premium ships: Tier V Okhotnik, VI Gallant, VI Huanghe, VI Molotov, V Okt Revolutsyia, VIII Lo Yang, VIII Prince Eugen all with captains with 10 skill points each.

So I definitely got about double value for the money spent and maybe a bit more which is great. But I did not open one single gift with premium time which really surprised me given the sheer number opened. But last night just before I got off the computer I couldn't shake the monkey off my back and bought one more 20 pack of the mega gifts but I did not open those yet. I will find out later this evening if maybe one will have the premium time that has eluded me thus far. I've also heard many say they've gotten the Enterprise out of santa crates which would be awesome but it isn't even listed as a possible reward ship so not sure if they are just fibbing or if WOWS simply tossed in some bonus boats that were never listed.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,093 battles

Got a Loyang, a Duca d'Aosta, Anshan, Kutz, and a Gallant out of 40 mega crates. It's an alright year.

Edited by NeutralState

[PVE]
Members
1,673 posts
7,160 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I think the crates were better this year. Yes, there seemed to be a bit less premium time, but the way ships were set up to cut down on duplicates more than made up for that IMO.

Last year I got 17 ships and 4 of those were doubled, got the gold instead of course....this year got 11 ships and zero doubles for any premium ship, which of course meant no Dub/Gold substitute.  You would think that after having 17 to 28 Premium ships already in port that somewhere in the mix of Santa boxes there would have been at least one double whereby I got some Dubs, it did not happen, which I find just a little weird.

Premium time was also free flowing last year, I alone got a year and a half without really trying, this year got 30 days and was considered lucky to have gotten that by some.

What matters is that it appears that the majority got what they wanted and are content with it, to those that spent a ton and got zero ships, that too is a little weird, I'd gladly give you one of mine if it was allowed.

What seems to have happened is that WG decided what had value and what did not, ships, camo and signals did not have any real monetary value even though they can be purchased through the Premium shop. Whereas Premium time and Dubs had a value therefore those were the items that were limited.

Please take note, I am really not complaining, rather I am just making observations, I spent a tad bit less than last year and overall got my money back in return, even though it felt more like a Blackjack push.

:Smile_Default:

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
40 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

Last year I got 17 ships and 4 of those were doubled, got the gold instead of course....this year got 11 ships and zero doubles for any premium ship, which of course meant no Dub/Gold substitute.  You would think that after having 17 to 28 Premium ships already in port that somewhere in the mix of Santa boxes there would have been at least one double whereby I got some Dubs, it did not happen, which I find just a little weird.

Premium time was also free flowing last year, I alone got a year and a half without really trying, this year got 30 days and was considered lucky to have gotten that by some.

What matters is that it appears that the majority got what they wanted and are content with it, to those that spent a ton and got zero ships, that too is a little weird, I'd gladly give you one of mine if it was allowed.

What seems to have happened is that WG decided what had value and what did not, ships, camo and signals did not have any real monetary value even though they can be purchased through the Premium shop. Whereas Premium time and Dubs had a value therefore those were the items that were limited.

Please take note, I am really not complaining, rather I am just making observations, I spent a tad bit less than last year and overall got my money back in return, even though it felt more like a Blackjack push.

:Smile_Default:

There was quite a lot of salt last year from people who got a lot of doubles. Yes, you got doubloons for each double, but people were ticked that they weren't getting different ships in instead of doubles.

Members
3 posts
312 battles

My first year of playing WOWS and assumed after playing WOT that all crates were generally overpriced and didn't look closely at what the crates were until today. Me sad ;(

Edited by hockeybrianboy

Members
1,579 posts
13,463 battles

The Bad - spent wayyyyy too much

The Good - got about every ship - lots of useful camo and quality flags - a 1/2 a year of premium time (which I really wanted), and about 20k doubloons on repeat ships ( plus some extra 10 point captains)  

Was looking forward to the  2017 Santa Crates, and was not disappointed by the return.  Really is the best of the Crate programs, and have been having a great time playing with all my new toys.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I bought 20 yesterday and got 4 ships, 6K bloons, and other things. The ships will be for later as I progress through the game. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

I bought 20 yesterday and got 4 ships, 6K bloons, and other things. The ships will be for later as I progress through the game. 

Shiny. What ships did you get for later?

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
17 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Shiny. What ships did you get for later?

Okhotnik, Molotov, Leningrad, Dunkerque

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles

Shiny. 

Since you said you got a T5 DD, Okhotnik is a T5 DD, but with a weird gunboat feel with all the guns. Should help RU DD grind and the grind to the Kirov. A Svietlana captain has a lot in common with a DD captain. Molotov will definitely help with the Kirov and Budyonny grinds. Very nice flame thrower. Definitely try out Dunkerque in PvE until you get the hang of her as the all main guns mostly forward, you can kite a bit, and all secondaries aft, they can fire forward a bit, are definitely different than the vast majority of BBs.

Leningrad is a very fast T7 DD. The DD meta really starts changing at T5/6, so I would recommend keeping it in PvE until you are used to higher tier play. Sure, take it out for an event that requires a T7+ just to get whatever reward, but at the level you are at, it will take awhile to get used to T7 DD play IMO. I had to grind multiple DD lines to T5, before I got any good at the T6 Gnevny to grind it to the T7 Minsk.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
51 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Shiny. 

Since you said you got a T5 DD, Okhotnik is a T5 DD, but with a weird gunboat feel with all the guns. Should help RU DD grind and the grind to the Kirov. A Svietlana captain has a lot in common with a DD captain. Molotov will definitely help with the Kirov and Budyonny grinds. Very nice flame thrower. Definitely try out Dunkerque in PvE until you get the hang of her as the all main guns mostly forward, you can kite a bit, and all secondaries aft, they can fire forward a bit, are definitely different than the vast majority of BBs.

Leningrad is a very fast T7 DD. The DD meta really starts changing at T5/6, so I would recommend keeping it in PvE until you are used to higher tier play. Sure, take it out for an event that requires a T7+ just to get whatever reward, but at the level you are at, it will take awhile to get used to T7 DD play IMO. I had to grind multiple DD lines to T5, before I got any good at the T6 Gnevny to grind it to the T7 Minsk.

I'm not hurrying...thanks for the tips. I bought the yubari and just started playing it today. I'm not crushing everybody, but I'm contributing and winning more than losing thus far. Tier 4 seems like a good spot for me.