Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mandarax

Spotter Aircraft Zooms to Max Range Fix?

7 comments in this topic

[TNG-2]
Members
92 posts
4,625 battles

Hey folks, so I've just gotten to my shiny new Yamato, and for jollies, I've left the original spotter aircraft on it since carriers have felt fairly rare. An annoyance I've encountered is that every time I go to bino zoom, it scans out to like 30km and I have to scroll, scroll, scroll to bring my target back onto the screen. Is there a technique to use to prevent that? Or do I just need to accept it and scroll every time?

[TBW]
Members
8,123 posts
14,835 battles

Put the white dot in the middle of the screen on your target.

8 minutes ago, Mandarax said:

Hey folks, so I've just gotten to my shiny new Yamato, and for jollies, I've left the original spotter aircraft on it since carriers have felt fairly rare. An annoyance I've encountered is that every time I go to bino zoom, it scans out to like 30km and I have to scroll, scroll, scroll to bring my target back onto the screen. Is there a technique to use to prevent that? Or do I just need to accept it and scroll every time?

It's also better to aim it under than over your target. I think the whole airplane view sucks. you are still firing from the ship after all.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,309 posts

Problem is that if you are maneuvering your ship while checking <Right Mouse Button> awareness..   Release, and it returns Waaaaayyyy out there - somewhere.. and it's an effort to get your original view back.

Naturally, I'm always using my WASD, so this gets annoying at times...  But I expect it.

[LEAK]
Supertester
1,686 posts
209 battles

How far your bino view takes you is dependent on where your cursor is when you switch to it. Make sure your cursor is close to where you want it to zoom to before switching to bino view.

[CNO]
Members
4,995 posts
15,757 battles
6 hours ago, Mandarax said:

Submit a ticket.  I don't recall which patch caused this problem, but it has not always been this way.  Many moons ago, it worked properly.  If you had a target in view and zoomed, it would maintain focus on the target.  Then, one day, it started fire-walling to max distance on zoom.  The reason I don't recall exactly when this happened is because I thought I was doing something different and causing the problem.  After seeing several reports such as yours, I realized it wasn't me, but WG bugged the software at some point and it just hasn't risen to the level of concern for a fix...or perhaps they don't even realize it's bugged.  

It's like they renamed or mis-typed the zoom variable in the spotter zoom algorithm at some point and didn't realize the mistake. 

Don't let anyone tell you any differently.  At one point it worked properly.  You did not need to scroll back to the target each time.  Then WG broke it during a patch.  And it's been broken ever since.

[LEAK]
Supertester
1,686 posts
209 battles

It's working as intended. Observe...

I placed the cursor near the battleship that's 6.6 km away from me when zoomed out:

Spoiler

close-3rd.thumb.jpg.04e355520b6632627230d0de595b759f.jpg

When I switch to bino view while spotter is active, it zooms to the correct distance:

Spoiler

close-zoom.thumb.jpg.81131fd4d8586d331994a4ce95d615d1.jpg

Now, before and after while the cursor is at the furthest battleship (15.6 km):

Spoiler

far-3rd.thumb.jpg.0d532f65f49ffc0af284642de300c6f2.jpg

far-zoom.thumb.jpg.472b2d8256f710564b7bf749925afef1.jpg

And finally, when the cursor is in the sky:

Spoiler

max-3rd.thumb.jpg.eb99603a0dcebf5d000c69216b5c746f.jpg

max-zoom.thumb.jpg.c0a8d8144427531ade06691bff97ffaa.jpg

^ This is why your bino view zoomed all the way out, it's because your cursor while in 3rd person camera is placed beyond your max range.

[CNO]
Members
4,995 posts
15,757 battles

This is why your bino view zoomed all the way out, it's because your cursor while in 3rd person camera is placed beyond your max range.

That might be the reason why it zooms out to max range...and if so, that is the bug I'm talking bout.  When you are locked onto a target in spotter plane view, and zoom in...the zoom should be tagged to the LOCKED TARGET range...not to the cursor position range.

Sign in to follow this