Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

Toxic players - and not so toxic players

114 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,866 posts
8,834 battles

I have seen both ends of the spectrum in the past few days when it comes to toxic players and players that went out of their way to say great game.

I had a great game in my Missouri a couple of days ago and together with a CV, saved a victory from possible defeat where the enemy had about 4 ships left.  I got complimented for my stellar play in that ship and after the game someone had gifted me some christmas crates.  I never had that happen before.  It made my day.  I have seen a few other games where players were gracious and courteous as well.

I have also seen the dark side.  I was in a co-op game of all things, where one of the players was shooting one of our own, and different player in the same game chased down one of our BBs and torped him.  The BB he torped might have been the one shooting our other player.  I'm not sure.  Why go into a co-op match and do that? 

I have also experienced in the past couple of days, instances where a player sent me an after game chat, telling me how they were a super unicum player and that I needed to read the chat and know whats going on before I commented.  Based on the  limited original comment, I indicated a game  mechanic that could cause the effect.  It turned out, my comment wasnt relevent because the original comment wasn't referring to what I thought it was, because of the limited explaination.  No biggy, but I had to endure several full chat boxes full of comments after the game about how he appreciated my comments but I should learn to read.  And that he was super unicum.  I guess that makes a difference.  I just had to check out his stats.  He was good, nice medium blue, but not even unicum let alone super unicum.

Another one happened when I got left out of position......Yes, I probably should have been more aware, but we had my Missouri, a T10 close by, at least 1 maybe 2 DDs, and a Cruiser.  We killed the 2 DDs in our area and pressed West.  A Montana showed up.  We forced him to turn  and kite away.  His guns were on me, so I couldn't turn away and I didn't have and Island to duck behind unless I backed up a bit.  Meanwhile, my T10 ran behind an island and turned away.  All my other ships vacated.  The Monty was still shooting at me, so I reversed.  If the other ships had stayed, the Monty would have died quickly.  I reversed for a while but couldn't get cover.  I was figuring someone would come back around....No.  They completely left.  By now a Lion joined the fray for the enemy.  He was in a weakened state, though. It turned out there was a Shima that came with the Lion too.  The one BB I still had with me was border hugging a long way away.  Of course, most of the other friendly ships all died quickly and I got left in a pickle that I knew wasn't going to go well .  I ended up killing the Shima when it presented itself.  But the Monty did get me in the end.  Our team lost of course, because the enemy still had half its team left.  I ended up finishing 4th in scoring.  One of the players chased me into aftergame chat to tell me how badly I played and that I was out of position the whole game.  Oh, and that I was an average or below average player at best.  In game he indicated that below average players shouldn't purchase a Missouri.  Why do players make the effort to do that.  Leave it in the game, especially if you have nothing nice to say.  I actually took a screen shot of the it, but my computer froze when I did it, so I couldn't get the capture.  Too bad.  Would have made good conversation.

You always get some  salty reactions in game depending on the game play.  Even I can get a bit salty sometimes, but I would never tell a player he was a noob or below average or berate them.  Lately, I have just seen more of it.  I hope it isn't a rising trend.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
39 minutes ago, Murcc said:

game chat, telling me how they were a super unicum player and that I needed to read the chat and know whats going on 

I ran into a division of ranked-out players today who were quite "bossy" to the rest of the team. The started out just making suggestions, then snide comments, and then finally cursing and calling everyone "pansies" (not the exact word they used). Although we easily won. I'd just as soon not even play with people such as they. I didn't post the cursing and name-calling part.

ass.thumb.jpg.e6894c84faf2d5fcdd4d48cdff2544bc.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
19,700 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I ran into a division of ranked-out players today who were quite "bossy" to the rest of the team. The started out just making suggestions, then snide comments, and then finally cursing and calling everyone "pansies" (not the exact word they used. Although we easily won. I'd just as soon not even play with people such as they. I didn't post the cursing and name-calling part.

I WOULD PLAY WITH THEM ANYDAY DONT CARE WHAT THEY SAY

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
333 posts
6,727 battles

My all time favorite. Is the “well we lose” predictions 1 minute into the match.  

Close second is the barnstormer who gets killed because he raced in and proceeds to flame the team for no support.

an interesting and uncommon case of the player who goes “c” while everyone else goes “a-b” then says well this team sucks. I’m going to go afk at a-1

• Funny 1

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
973 posts
7,623 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I ran into a division of ranked-out players today who were quite "bossy" to the rest of the team. The started out just making suggestions, then snide comments, and then finally cursing and calling everyone "pansies" (not the exact word they used. Although we easily won. I'd just as soon not even play with people such as they. I didn't post the cursing and name-calling part.

Good chance they won the battle for you. I'd play with them any day. And probably follow their suggestions as well. It's better to learn than get offended. 

• Cool 3

[HEROS]
Members
1,711 posts
14,917 battles

I am so sorry you ran into jerks guys.. the VAST majority of us are not jerks..Heck, most never say anything.

Anyone chasing you down after a  match to "tear you a new one" is looking for a victim so they feel better about how badly they did usually.  If someone starts in on you at that level just black list em right then and there and be done with them.  They may have some other issues too.  Not yer business.  You don't need to know (trust the old guy on this!).  If they seek you out on the forums keep track.  If it persist let the moderators know and be sure to document.

But that's all worst case.  

Most of the time I tell em to go take another look at the replay because they missed some things. Then close the chat window after black listing them.  Its getting in the final word, and ending communication.  Clear them off your black list after a week or so.

None of us has the right to be rude to that level to other players in any way, ever.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

Good chance they won the battle for you. I'd play with them any day. And probably follow their suggestions as well. It's better to learn than get offended. 

I did rather well in that battle myself, especially considering that I got tired of their whining and just scouted for them without doing any damage myself for half the game. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,997 posts
22,415 battles
21 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

I WOULD PLAY WITH THEM ANYDAY DONT CARE WHAT THEY SAY

This is the difference between toxic players and non-toxic players.  Toxic players are willing to tolerate other toxic players because they seem to feel that the ends justify the means, while non-toxic players think that character matters more than one's abilities in a game.  And while I've been known to get a little salty on occasion, I still prefer the less toxic players, because in the end, a person's character is more important than how talented they are at a computer game.

• Cool 7

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,537 battles

i shall speak formyself, I AM CANCER!  anyone who has had the misfortune of playing with me on their team can attest i am the single most vulgar ill mannered and dirty player ever to play the game, why i even go as far as to spam hacking websites so as to entice players to cheat, I call my team pansies, and report them for feeding. as well as telling them to go eat tide pods and play with uganda knuckles.....

This post is 100% satire and is in no way a reflection of my actions in game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,794 posts
3,376 battles

Honestly, I like crushing toxic players into the ground. It gives a certain satisfaction.

[SALVO]
Members
21,997 posts
22,415 battles

I had a battle a couple of days back on the Atlantic map where I was in my Kiev.  I don't play it all that often, and when I do, it's mostly for yucks and perhaps to grind a few XP for the captain.  Anyways, I spawned relatively close to the C cap (the NE cap) but I had no interest in going there because (a) my Kiev captain doesn't have CE yet and (b) I don't particularly like driving around in such confined spaces in DDs in general and in fast gunboat Russian gunboat DDs in particular because I have a sad tendency to run into islands.

Anyways ...

There was this guy on our team (who probably spawned right behind me) who wanted to go to C and wanted me to go there with him to charge in ahead of him presumably, since I was in a DD and he wasn't.  he asked mostly nicely, though it really did come off as more of an order.  Like ... "Kiev go to C".  I refused.  So he gets progressively saltier in his demands.  At that point, I simply started refusing to do anything he asked on general principles, because I don't like players who think that they can boss team mates around.  I never boss people around in chat.  I may ask them to go someplace.  But if they refuse, I usually just let it go, unless where they want to go is profoundly stupid, like heading into the mid channel on 2 Brothers, or abandoning your side of the map on Strait.  So, this guy just wouldn't let it go to the point that he PM'd me in chat after the battle.  Whatever.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
19,700 battles

ROFL the self entitlement of so many posters here they made it to Rank 1 did any of you? I would glady take their salt cause in most cases its well deserved and they kinda do know what they are doing and playing with people that have good tactics and skills gives you guidance , grow a thicker skin and listen is all I can say I would take angry gud players anyday over people that don't say anything but GG after they are sunk

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
19,700 battles
2 hours ago, TheBlackWind said:

yes I agree some people get offended very easily in todays world and then just sit on thier hands and say I don't want to play your not nice

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,293 posts
21,557 battles
34 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

yes I agree some people get offended very easily in todays world and then just sit on thier hands and say I don't want to play your not nice

I suppose some are just snowflakes who don't like any "salt". Personally I have no problem with normal angry chat like when someone is mad that you sank them or is just using adult language. There are a few people who just go over the line though and they need to be held to account. I have seen some awful stuff in chat, people threatening to kill other players and their families, threats of sexual abuse of sisters/mothers, berating other players to no end, etc. Regardless where you stand on adult language, behavior like that needs to be reported by everyone in the game and replays sent to Wargaming for action. With that said, if you are upset because someone calls you a scrub and you want to get them chat banned, all I can say is "Butch it up cupcake".

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
3 hours ago, Dictonary said:

Honestly, I like crushing toxic players into the ground. It gives a certain satisfaction.

There's something called "reinforcing bad behavior." As long as people find that no untoward consequences arise from their bad behavior then they have no reason to change. The reason why good players who are bad people continue to get away with their bad behavior stems from sheer greed. Gamers will put up with a lot of abuse if they also can win. If someone is being a jerk on the other team then I go hunting. If someone is being a jerk on my team -- well, good luck in getting any support from me. I'll go somewhere else and support the decent players on the team but if you are being a jerk and then get deleted early on in the game, it won't displease me. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles

Had a unicum yesterday completely lose his mind over a DD he claimed was his because he was still working on the DoY missions.  Finished his remaining 6k hps from a densely populated urban area (a.k.a. way downtown) in the Conqueror (about 23-24km).  DD had to slow his speed to avoid hitting an island as he turned so he telegraphed it too easily.

Think about the time it takes for that next day air package to arrive and yet he still thinks I stole his kill.  Obsession over missions can make players lose all sense of logic.

At least on the plus side, the DD player and half the other players on both teams were like "Holy sh*t, nice shot."  So it kinda drowned him out.

Few things are more entertaining in this game than sniping DDs from med or long range in a BB, like the full health Khab erased earlier this evening...

• Cool 2

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

This is the difference between toxic players and non-toxic players.  Toxic players are willing to tolerate other toxic players because they seem to feel that the ends justify the means, while non-toxic players think that character matters more than one's abilities in a game.  And while I've been known to get a little salty on occasion, I still prefer the less toxic players, because in the end, a person's character is more important than how talented they are at a computer game.

I would much rather be part of a team of players who try hard, vs. a team of try-hard players.  I do get frustrated sometimes, but I make every effort not to start assigning blame or insulting other people or their skill levels.

I had a first happen earlier tonight, after more than 3,000 games: a player on my team sunk himself trying to torpedo an afk teammate, then says "WORTH IT!" in the chat.  That's the closest I can remember coming to actually cussing somebody out in game chat...instead I settled for calling his behavior "childish" and congratulating him on putting the team down by two ships instead of one.  And reported him. 

Then a few games later when I died relatively early and our team was destined for the loss, I had a wonderful chat with a couple of reds where we negotiated an end to the battle and agreed to call it a draw; unfortunately nobody knew a way of contacting WarGaming in time, so I wound up taking the loss anyway.  (They got to keep everything north of the 37th parallel, a state shih tzu, and visitation rights with a panda on alternating weekends)

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

It is so obvious that the bulk of wows players are 40+ years of age, simply unaware of how the internet works, you need a thick skin to be a gamer. 

This will never change, get used to toxicity, it is here to stay, not only in this game, but all games. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
25 posts
3,096 battles

This game has more gutless players then WOT did, and that's saying something...I don't think the game play is all that much, and quite frankly the mm I seem to get at this time of the night is follicle tearing out at best. Best I leave before my toxicity reaches a category 5.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
5 hours ago, TheBlackWind said:

Disregarding good advice because you don't like the manner in which it is delivered is the surest way to never progress beyond mediocrity.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

Good assessment.

Personally I prefer to play with toxic but competent players over nice but incompetent players because while the journey does matter, without a destination in mind you're just wandering aimlessly and relying on luck to get to a better place than you're currently at.

As for character though... I do believe that your character is reflected in everything you do, including something as seemingly frivolous as a game.  If you don't dedicate yourself to achieving success in a game, why should I believe you dedicate yourself to success in any other endeavor you undertake?

In reference to character, particularly as it refers to interacting with toxic players, consider this quote about stoicism (or psychological resilience in modern parlance) from Marcus aurelius "if you are distressed by any external thing, it is not this thing which disturbs you, but your judgement about it.  And it is in your power to wipe out that judgement now."

Edited by Shadeylark

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
51 minutes ago, aAkula said:

It is so obvious that the bulk of wows players are 40+ years of age, simply unaware of how the internet works, you need a thick skin to be a gamer. 

This will never change, get used to toxicity, it is here to stay, not only in this game, but all games. 

Some people accept a dismal reality.  Others try to change it.

You make up your own mind as to which category you belong.

• Cool 2

[ONE]
Members
305 posts
15,148 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I ran into a division of ranked-out players today who were quite "bossy" to the rest of the team. The started out just making suggestions, then snide comments, and then finally cursing and calling everyone "pansies" (not the exact word they used). Although we easily won. I'd just as soon not even play with people such as they. I didn't post the cursing and name-calling part.

When the chat in a game takes a turn like this I disable chat and go on about my business.   Often times the game is much more enjoyable without chat.

Edited by 6thGuards

Sign in to follow this