You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SomemuttupNorth

Fletcher Assistance

7 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Members
281 posts
4,786 battles

Greetings fellow tin can/greyhound drivers!

I've recently unlocked all upgrades for the Fletcher (for those unaware, the Tier IX US Destroyer), and find myself ready to continue on in grabbing XP.

... Or I would, if I didn't have so much trouble in her.

I really like the Fletcher. I like the history behind the ship class, she's got good speed and good guns, and excellent torps, and some decent AA as well. 
Yet despite this, I have trouble really doing much in her.

The big  problem, I'll admit, is early deaths- I get nuked a lot trying to initially cap. Either by bad luck or what-have-you, I either end up at the cap the entire red fleet is attempting to occupy, or I end up in an engagement and wind up eating a torpedo.

The initial issue was concealment/detection range, which I've partially mitigated, but my issue still stands. Anyone up to giving me some advice on how to best use this sleek greyhound?

For reference, the ship has all upgraded modules save for range increase. Upgrades are Main Armaments Mod 1, Damage Control Mod 1, Aiming Systems Mod 1, Damage Control Mod 2, and Concealment Systems Mod 1 (last spot is blank)

My captain, Vice Admiral Maurice Reed (16 points because I'm a scrub who can't afford fast-grinding), has the stats of Priority Target, Preventive Maintenance, High Alert, Last Stand, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Superintendent, and Radio Location.

[MACH1]
Members
154 posts
12,840 battles

I normally scout for the first few minutes to get an idea of where the radar ships are before heading into a cap spot and let team get a few shots in and always look to make sure you have some close support also.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
322 posts
5,832 battles

Your problems partially lie in your captain skills.

preventative maintenance-ok

prioroty target-not bad, but if your spotted just assume everyone is shooting you

high alert-no

torp expert-not bad, but usn dd not as useful

last stand-ok

superintendant-ok

radio location- ok, but should be last priority

Others I would recommend. Concealment expert. Adrenaline rush. Demo expert. BFT

Edited by gmrbull

[F-U]
Members
205 posts
3,248 battles

First of all, right off the bat, your biggest issue is the lack of Concealment Expert. Without concealment expert you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to fight on caps when everything is out spotting you. Also, I highly recommend survivability expert. With it, you gain a very nice 3.5k hp bringing you up to 20k letting you live longer.

The fletcher is a good cap fighter but not the best. IMO THe fletcher is probably the best torp dd in the game with really fast reloading torps so you can keep up to torp soup.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,506 posts
15,773 battles

Dump Fletcher and get a Z-46, you'll never go back.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,570 posts
6,795 battles

I'm not hardly the best Fletcher captain out there, but I think I understand the ship fairly well & know her strengths and weaknesses (even if I don't always play appropriately in the heat of the moment).

First things first--it's been mentioned, but you need Concealment Expert on your captain, and you need to be rocking a camo which at least lowers your detection range at all times as well.  Spotting range is everything in high-tier DD play (noted exception being Khabarovsk)...leaving yourself at a disadvantage does exactly that.  I also agree that High Alert isn't a great fit with destroyers in general, and definitely not this one.  You'd be much better deleting that and Priority Target and picking up Survivability Expert instead.  I'm not a fan of RPF on any ship...the times where the skill outstrips basic map knowledge are way too few to justify four commander points.  Deleting that for CE is a no-brainer, and once you have another 4 points available use them instead on some lower-tier skills that will help in every game (like Basic Firing Training, Demolition Expert, Adrenaline Rush, etc).  Oh, and contrary to what's recommended above, Torpedo Armament Expertise is an extremely good skill on this ship.

Forget about increasing the range on your main guns--those floaty arcs make it too difficult to hit anything at the ship's regular max range.  You will be much better off purchasing Torpedo Tubes Mod III once you have the credits available (faster reload time on those great torps).  Main Battery Mod III isn't a bad option either (faster rate of fire), but I personally prefer having my torpedoes ready faster.

As with any destroyer, never leave port without (at a minimum) premium smoke.  Premium damage control is also a big benefit, premium speed boost you can probably do without if credits are an issue.

Now, for play style...one of the biggest things to adjust to in T9/10 battles is that there are pretty much always going to be multiple radars on the opposing team.  That makes going for early caps extremely risky...if the situation calls for you to give it a shot, just make sure you have an escape route planned and do not use your speed boost to get to the cap...you will need the extra speed to get out of there once you've been lit up.  When you do get spotted (be it by radar or an enemy DD), at that stage in the game your first, second, and third thoughts should all be about clearing the area...don't go for the kill on that enemy destroyer unless you can somehow be certain that he doesn't have a whole bunch of friends behind him, because when he does they are all going to be shooting at you.

Once the battle gets going, ships start to thin out, and you can account for all the opposing radars, that's when you can go to your bread & butter of burning down opposing ships from inside your smoke...set a fire or two and change targets, or if no other targets are available pepper their superstructure with AP rounds.  Just keep one eye on the minimap for approaching danger, and always be prepared to bug out when the situation warrants it.  Also be cognizant of torpedo threats...there's nothing worse as a destroyer captain than eating a spread of torps inside your own smoke.

Fletcher is very good at hunting down other destroyers and wrecking them in knife fights, but you have to be smart about when you pick those fights.  If that DD is isolated behind some islands or their main body (cruisers & battleships) are 10+km away, that's a good time to go in.  When they're out in open water in the middle of a cap with several teammates nearby, that's a bad time to open up.  As far as not eating torpedoes during these knife fights, think like...well, a destroyer captain.  When the IJN destroyer that's been running straight away at full speed suddenly turns broadside, you know what that means...ditto for when that high ROF KM destroyer all of a sudden stops shooting for 10 seconds.  Any time you close to within 3km of an enemy destroyer, you'd better be sure that either their torpedoes are on cooldown or you can kill them with one salvo (maybe two).  Well, except for PA destroyers, of course.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
281 posts
4,786 battles

Thanks for all the advice!

Didn't mention it earlier, but I always load Fletcher up with premium consumables, and use a camo with the -3% to detection range. As for captain skills, I'll grab some doubloons to do some readjusting- I thought Torpedo Armament would be good because of the praise given to Fletcher torps.